It's time for RC to go paperless on setsail passes.

djjoe

The airlines all do it, why can't the cruise lines do it? When I check in for a flight a QR code is already sent to my phone, no paper required, just show it at airport. I just checked in for a upcoming cruise out of Bayonne. The have you upload your security photo and input your onboard account info. Then you must print out a setsail pass for each person on the reservation, using double the amount of paper. There is no place to sign on the setsail pass as the info is in their system already. The important info is the bar code, which I feel can be sent to any smart phone. Think about it, They scan your phone, give you a seapass card, and that's it. done! :rolleyes::rolleyes:But please don't let the IT guys that designed the "new and improved" web page get their hands on this idea.

One little problem, when leaving Baltimore for our flight home we both had issues loading our boarding passes. Really, really glad I had decided to print them, just in case. Just in case is exactly why I wanted to be sure there were no oops moments.

Great idea, but even in this day and age there are still persons traveling that do not have that ability.

Unlike airports, the reception in most cruise terminals is terrible to nonexistent. You would have to pre-save the passes for everyone on your reservation.

Cape Liberty requires a separate setsail pass for each person on the reservation. So basically each person would have the QR or barcode sent to their own phone. For the folks that don't have a smart phone, they could print it out. I think it would just be nice to have the choice.

I think it's pretty clear who the millennials vs baby boomers. But the whole online check in process is pointless if you still need to print out a set sail pass and still go to a counter to sign additional documents before having the paperpass stamped.

I really don't see the benefit or how it's more streamlined than just doing it at the counter.

Paper SetSail passes do not bother me in the least. We normally print out our airline boarding passes also.

Agree and we do the same. Plus you don't even need to print off the Setsail pass to board the ship!

I always print out my airline boarding pass, have had many more failures than successes with the electronic version.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well some of us like to go paperless. And since Royal is going all in for the millennials, paperless check-in is a must have, IMO.

Like the OP mentioned, when every other component of a trip can be on my phone (i.e. flight boarding passes), it is a pain that Royal requires a printed boarding pass. I would love to see Royal provide mobile passes that can be added to Apple Wallet.

I haven't used a printer in months.

A "Baby Boomer" and proud of it....the millennials etc etc....wouldn't be here with out us...so give those of us that still prefer "paper" a bit of slack....and stop trying to make everything paperless ! Paper never fails...high-tech can and does ! Can't count on how many times I've stood behind someone at a boarding gate fumbling with their phone app.

I think it's pretty clear who the millennials vs baby boomers. But the whole online check in process is pointless if you still need to print out a set sail pass and still go to a counter to sign additional documents before having the paperpass stamped.

I really don't see the benefit or how it's more streamlined than just doing it at the counter.

I'm actually a "war baby", just turned 73 and I enjoy all the features of my Iphone. the upgraded port terminals like Bayone with their roving agents with Ipads in hand could easily handle mobile boarding passes and Apple Pay.

A "Baby Boomer" and proud of it....the millennials etc etc....wouldn't be here with out us...so give those of us that still prefer "paper" a bit of slack....and stop trying to make everything paperless ! Paper never fails...high-tech can and does ! Can't count on how many times I've stood behind someone at a boarding gate fumbling with their phone app.

I don't think anyone is saying that paper boarding passes should not still be an option. Just like the airlines provide both options.

However, the capability for mobile boarding passes would be a good move on Royal's part, as they have become expected in other sectors of the travel industry.

Agree and we do the same. Plus you don't even need to print off the Setsail pass to board the ship!

For those that require them for each passenger, you do need to print them out.

The Set Sail passes get you on the ship, and the cards are in the room.

I'm actually a "war baby", just turned 73 and I enjoy all the features of my Iphone. the upgraded port terminals like Bayone with their roving agents with Ipads in hand could easily handle mobile boarding passes and Apple Pay.

It probably wasn't clear in response to OP, but I fall under the millennial category. I'm all for online and paperless check-in. But the current process in place offers no real benefit to doing it ahead if time when I still need to approach the same counter as someone who hadn't done so. It could use improvement.

It probably wasn't clear in response to OP, but I fall under the millennial category. I'm all for online and paperless check-in. But the current process in place offers no real benefit to doing it ahead if time when I still need to approach the same counter as someone who hadn't done so. It could use improvement.

It does on the ships that require a set sail pass to buy a drink before you are able to enter your room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As long as a their are folks who still insist on writing checks at the grocery store (including doing all their balancing while you wait behind them in line), there will be folks who will never use technology for things like boarding passes and set sail passes.

Of course if it can be done it should be an option.

Cape Liberty requires a separate setsail pass for each person on the reservation. So basically each person would have the QR or barcode sent to their own phone. For the folks that don't have a smart phone, they could print it out. I think it would just be nice to have the choice.

On our last cruise out of Cape Liberty all we needed was one set sail pass??

Now you need one of each passenger??

bosco

What about the people who don’t have, don’t need, or don’t want a cell phone or tablet? We have both but we know a lot of people who don’t. We still print them out because we want to. Have an express line for the ones that have it on their device. Or to make the techies happy, make it a requirement.

For those that require them for each passenger, you do need to print them out.

The Set Sail passes get you on the ship, and the cards are in the room.

Bull ****! The Setsail pass does not get you on the ship. It does expedite the check-in process. If you show up without your Setsail pass you still will be processed and then given your Seapass card which is what you need to board the ship with not the Setsail pass.

Bull ****! The Setsail pass does not get you on the ship. It does expedite the check-in process. If you show up without your Setsail pass you still will be processed and then given your Seapass card which is what you need to board the ship with not the Setsail pass.

Incorrect. On Quantum Class, and I assume Harmony/Symphony, SeaPass cards are located at your cabin. You board with your SetSail Pass. So, much easier to just print them beforehand.

Although I'm sure they have the ability to print them at the terminal if one does not have it (can someone confirm?)

Some people, i.e. dh, does not have, or want, a smart phone. He seldom even carries his old flip phone. Can't change him. BTW he is quite comfortable with computers, having worked with them for years, just can't see the purpose of a smartphone.

Incorrect. On Quantum Class, and I assume Harmony/Symphony, SeaPass cards are located at your cabin. You board with your SetSail Pass. So, much easier to just print them beforehand.

Although I'm sure they have the ability to print them at the terminal if one does not have it (can someone confirm?)

That's correct and no argument "only if" you have printed off your Setsail pass prior to leaving for your cruise or didn't lose or forget it. If you don't have your Setsail pass (for what ever reason) when checking in the person checking you in will print the required paper work for you (in the case for Quantum class ships) so you can proceed to board the ship. You still have to go through the check in process no matter if you do or do not have your Setsail pass.

Edited by davekathy

That's correct and no argument "only if" you have printed off your Setsail pass prior to leaving for your cruise or didn't lose or forget it. If you don't have your Setsail pass (for what ever reason) when checking in the person checking you in will print the required paper work for you (in the case for Quantum class ships) so you can proceed to board the ship. You still have to go through the check in process no matter if you do or do not have your Setsail pass.
Yes, you go through the check-in process either way, but pre-printing means the difference in going up to any available person with an iPad, versus waiting in line at the counters. In Bayonne, we checked in at the curb, while giving the porters our luggage. As you said, they'll happily print it for you at the counter, which we saw many people doing.

I think a paperless option would be great for those who desire it. I go paperless for lots of things, but this wouldn't be one of them. I print boarding passes for the airport, too.