Princess Grand Ships Need More Than Just Dry-docks ..They Need a Complete Reconfigure

need2cruisesoon

Other lines are reinventing some their older ships, Celebrity is calling it a 'Revolution".

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/Travel_Advisory_Panel_8.5x11_flyer.pdf

I mean can it be the difficult to hire a couple high profile designers and get the ships into the 21st century.

New paint and carpet just ain't gonna cut it anymore.

Other lines are reinventing some their older ships, Celebrity is calling it a 'Revolution".

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/Travel_Advisory_Panel_8.5x11_flyer.pdf

I mean can it be the difficult to hire a couple high profile designers and get the ships into the 21st century.

And you know more about ships and cruise lines then those currently in charge how?

So lets consider what Lisa Lutoff-Perlo has done to Celebrity since taking over as CEO. We think the line has gone through a gradual overall degradation of their product. As to their "Revolution" one should look at the details. They plan on adding more cabins to existing ships which is never a good thing. She also wants to add more alternative restaurants and you might consider that Celebrity charges up to $50 pp for the current restaurants.

Hank

Personally, I wish Princess would stick with the identity they had when they were The Love Boat, before the Carnival effect, and not try and compete with Celebrity and every other brand.

This, exactly.

I think they would do better to realize that they can't be everything to everyone. They need to define their identity and stick to it. There are lots of cruise lines out there, and they can't all be perfect for each of us.

So lets consider what Lisa Lutoff-Perlo has done to Celebrity since taking over as CEO. We think the line has gone through a gradual overall degradation of their product. As to their "Revolution" one should look at the details. They plan on adding more cabins to existing ships which is never a good thing. She also wants to add more alternative restaurants and you might consider that Celebrity charges up to $50 pp for the current restaurants.

Hank

Yes, Hank, and the re-categorisation of cabins is already taking place. Additionally, has the OP looked at the pricing for the Med on Edge next year in the summer? $3000pp with taxes for a 7 night cruise in a basic balcony, and a top suite is only $28,000pp :eek:. That ‘Revolution’ has got to be paid for from someone’s pockets ;).

We like Princess the way it is. Their own "revolution" is doing stuff like ruining Island Princess and replacing Crooner's on the new builds with a stupid, extra cost, "French Bistro". (Blech.) No thank you. Somebody thought that having fewer pools but having a "colorful fountain" was a good idea. Really? If people want something different there are other lines - Celebrity for instance - which will be happy to take their money. We started with Princess and decided it offers what we want so we stuck with the line. If they change it too much we won't be happy.

I think they tried this with Curtis Stone.

That idea seemed to sink like a ... well ... rock.

We like them just the way that they are. If we liked what Celebrity is doing we would sail them more. We responded to the changes by sailing Celebrity far less often and Princess more often.

We like them just the way that they are. If we liked what Celebrity is doing we would sail them more. We responded to the changes by sailing Celebrity far less often and Princess more often.

I prefer princess. The grand is a great ship and just needs renewing and updating every once in a while. Some folks prefer the princess ships with fewer bells & whistles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Grand class are really nice ship particularly at the 2600pax level...

and Complete Reconfigure ????!!!!!!!

What add water slides,,, more cabins... removed the promenade.... and remove some bars........

Hopefully some new carpets and a bit of make over here and there..... ooooo... some new paint....

We like princess the way is it..... if we or others don't like it... go else where...

Right off the high horse..... trying to plan our first B2B ( just to spend more time on the ship )

Cheers Don

I wouldn't mind a reconfigure of the bathrooms. Showers that you can actually wash properly in without risking damage to elbows, shower doors instead of curtains, storage for small items in drawers or shelves in a cupboard that closes (like Celebrity Solstice has).

I wouldn't mind a reconfigure of the bathrooms. Showers that you can actually wash properly in without risking damage to elbows, shower doors instead of curtains, storage for small items in drawers or shelves in a cupboard that closes (like Celebrity Solstice has).

While this would be a costly item for Princess, this is really a small change. An no one would object to this. But adding more cabins (cramming them in)...adding bars, etc. No. Not necessary, not desirable.

The Celebrity prices quoted above are on par with other overpriced lines. Too rich for my wallet.

I agree with those stating Princess needs to find an identity and stick to it. I don't mind the Regal and Royal but not crazy about Princess Live replacing the Explorers Lounge. I'm a major fan of the International Cafe so tend to choose the ships with an IC for my cruises.

Yes, Hank, and the re-categorisation of cabins is already taking place. Additionally, has the OP looked at the pricing for the Med on Edge next year in the summer? $3000pp with taxes for a 7 night cruise in a basic balcony, and a top suite is only $28,000pp :eek:. That ‘Revolution’ has got to be paid for from someone’s pockets ;).

Apparently Celebrity’s Revolution changes come with revolting prices. :eek:

I think they tried this with Curtis Stone.

That idea seemed to sink like a ... well ... rock.

And it’s becoming more evident that the Princess revolutionary ***** may be attached to another rock. Their overhyped marketing has been replaced by minimal promotion & it now doesn’t even rank high enough to be on the Princess homepage.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I think they would do better to realize that they can't be everything to everyone. They need to define their identity and stick to it. There are lots of cruise lines out there' date=' and they can't all be perfect for each of us[/i'].

Exactly! (y)

Princess promoted the Royal class of ships as evolutionary and not revolutionary which for me has overall resulted in more improvements than downgrades. While that won’t be true for everyone, if the changes being made to Celebrity are improvements to the OP then that’s where they should cruise. I’ve considered Celebrity & other cruise lines however Princess continues to provide our best overall cruise experience for the price we’re paying.

Sure I think that some things could improve but as you wrote “they can’t all be perfect for each of us”.

While this would be a costly item for Princess' date=' this is really a small change. An no one would object to this. But adding more cabins (cramming them in)...adding bars, etc. No. Not necessary, not desirable.

The Celebrity prices quoted above are on par with other overpriced lines. Too rich for my wallet.

Agreed. I don't really think they need more bars either. Counting Vines I visited 16 bars on Emerald Princess. Surely that is enough for anybody! (Given that we were on the ship for 28 days it seemed only fair to visit all 16 venues. ;p)

Personally, I wish Princess would stick with the identity they had when they were The Love Boat, before the Carnival effect, and not try and compete with Celebrity and every other brand.

Agree.

Have loved the Grand class ships on Princess for years. Not impressed with the Royal and Regal with fewer pools, smaller balcony and a promenade deck that you can't stroll around. I tend to agree that choosing a brand's identity and sticking with it is sometimes the best idea. It is difficult if not impossible to be everything to everyone.

Those of us that rack up larger numbers of Princess cruises (I have 40+) do that because we like Princess just fine the way it has been. We don't want to see Princess mimicking what other cruise lines are doing, because things like those so-called active entertainment amenities is stuff we are NOT interested in. We LIKE the laid back atmosphere, quiet corners to relax in, low key classy decor, great service, great itineraries, etc, etc ,etc. Princess has no problem filling ships with passengers who like things just fine the way they are!!

Those that are not satisfied with Princess the way it is need to move on over to the cruise lines that offer that other stuff that they think Princess needs, instead of looking to Princess to change it's identity.