Help convince me I want a cruise that is half sea days

Joebucks

I'm looking to book another cruise for early next year. One caught my eye due to the dates, embarkation port, and itinerary. It's on the Dream. I have yet to be on the dream class.

The only issue to me is that there are three ports of call and three sea days. I have never done that many sea days on a cruise. This is also the biggest ship I've been on.

My last cruise was 7 nights with a port every day. I loved it. Going to a beach everyday is my favorite. The sea days I have been on have been decent. I'll generally lay out, hot tub, serenity, drink, etc. Would that get old?

Now this is a bigger ship with more to do. It will also be nice to save on taxis, loungers/umbrellas, and lunch. I love carnivals lunch. I'm sure I will have a great time. I just wondering what some of your thoughts are.

My 7-days have been sea, port, port, port, sea, sea. I think after three straight port days a sea day is nice. And having the last day as a sea day is good to be able to get ready to leave but also have a relaxing day.

Just did that itinerary on Dream. Left NOLA on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday were sea days, Wed in MoBay, Thurs in GC, Friday in Cozumel, and Saturday was a sea day. Loved it. Get the Cheers package -- you will use it. The Dream is a great boat (we've sailed her 3 times). You won't get bored. Our party consisted of 7 adults (3 of which would be considered seniors), and 3 kids under the age of 10. No one got bored or had anything but a great time.

Go for it. You won't regret it.

Hint: spend some time after dinner in Alchemy. They are a lot of fun! And you can go to the bar in the Steakhouse even if you aren't eating there -- you'll find some higher end spirits up there.

My husband and I have been on 30 cruises and visited most destinations. For me, I love, love, love the days at sea. Not so much for the activities, but for the relaxation. I would be very happy on a transatlantic cruise with minimal stops. Give it a try and enjoy the ship.

Because of sea sickness I had generally been more interested in port days. On the last cruise we had a full sea day and two days that were only a half day in port. Absolutely loved all our time on the ship. We did not relax! We closed down the piano bar every single night and hung out on the serenity deck and made new friends in the day. Go for it!

I'm looking to book another cruise for early next year. One caught my eye due to the dates, embarkation port, and itinerary. It's on the Dream. I have yet to be on the dream class.

The only issue to me is that there are three ports of call and three sea days. I have never done that many sea days on a cruise. This is also the biggest ship I've been on.

My last cruise was 7 nights with a port every day. I loved it. Going to a beach everyday is my favorite. The sea days I have been on have been decent. I'll generally lay out, hot tub, serenity, drink, etc. Would that get old?

Now this is a bigger ship with more to do. It will also be nice to save on taxis, loungers/umbrellas, and lunch. I love carnivals lunch. I'm sure I will have a great time. I just wondering what some of your thoughts are.

Ultimately only you can answer what would get old, or if you would enjoy "that many" sea days. Really can't know until you "take the chance". I can say for example we look for itineraries with more sea days than port days. We did an 8 day southern caribbean in May...3 port days, 4 sea days...we enjoyed that quite a bit. We've also done a handful of TransAtlantic cruises......primarily for...lots of sea days. Did a 16 day TA, 4 port days, 12 sea days, which included 6 straight days crossing the Atlantic, was awesome....for us....for you...well.....So for us, bring on the sea days!! I think if we could, we'd take a 7 or 8 days cruise with zero sea days, but thats us....

A cruise with 3 port days and 3 at sea days VS no cruise...... hmmm? I think if the option is no cruise I would take the cruise no matter how many at sea days there were :-) And it sounds like the ship will give you plenty of things to do (or not)

Where was this cruise out of and which cruise line? I love port days. Don't get me wrong, we have been on the Dream twice and loved everyday but port days are my favorite and my whole reason for cruising.

My 7-days have been sea, port, port, port, sea, sea. I think after three straight port days a sea day is nice. And having the last day as a sea day is good to be able to get ready to leave but also have a relaxing day.

I wish this one was lined up like that or even spread out for a sea day in the middle. The first two days are sea days. I feel like the anticipation will be brutal!

Just did that itinerary on Dream. Left NOLA on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday were sea days, Wed in MoBay, Thurs in GC, Friday in Cozumel, and Saturday was a sea day. Loved it. Get the Cheers package -- you will use it. The Dream is a great boat (we've sailed her 3 times). You won't get bored. Our party consisted of 7 adults (3 of which would be considered seniors), and 3 kids under the age of 10. No one got bored or had anything but a great time.

Go for it. You won't regret it.

Hint: spend some time after dinner in Alchemy. They are a lot of fun! And you can go to the bar in the Steakhouse even if you aren't eating there -- you'll find some higher end spirits up there.

If you've seen some of my other posts :) I'm not the biggest fan of Cheers. I do believe sea days is where it shines. However, my girlfriend will probably have 5 drinks the whole cruise. I'll probably have a few beers and a few cocktails. No way will it be $800 worth.

Most Carnival 7 day cruises have either 3 ports & 4 sea days, or 4 ports & 3 sea days

I've noticed this. For me, the sweet spot would be no less than 4 ports. It is much more rare though.

A cruise with 3 port days and 3 at sea days VS no cruise...... hmmm? I think if the option is no cruise I would take the cruise no matter how many at sea days there were :-) And it sounds like the ship will give you plenty of things to do (or not)

No cruising is not an option, haha. The alternatives will be embarking from cities we have been to very frequently lately vs one we've never been to. We also wanted to see some other areas and didn't mind a return to Cozumel. Dream class was also high on my priority list. This was also a great price!

Where was this cruise out of and which cruise line? I love port days. Don't get me wrong, we have been on the Dream twice and loved everyday but port days are my favorite and my whole reason for cruising.

It was two months ago on Carnival. St Kitts, St Maarten, Barbados, Antigua, St Thomas, St Lucia. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand those who want some rest mixed in with that. It was a lot! However, it was so exciting to be somewhere new every day. I would highly recommend that cruise. It does appear that Antigua has been replaced now by a sea day. It was originally Dominica (really looked forward to that one) but it is in bad shape still.

Based on what you've said already, I think you might be disappointed with that many sea days. Like you, I only go on sailings with at least 4 ports. A few years ago we were on a back to back cruise (6 and 8 days) and the weather was not great. We missed one of the 3 ports on the first leg so we ended up with half of a port day that was rained out followed by 3 sea days. By the last one we were about ready to jump overboard lol.

Yes I'm being overly dramatic and I was still on vacation, but when I am paying a lot for a trip I want to be able to do more than just sit around. Just my own opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My last cruise was sea day - sea day - port - port - port -sea day -sea day and it was fantastic. Having those sea days surrounding the port days gave time to decompress after taking so much in on the port days, and time to get into "cruise mode" before our first port stop.

Of course the bad thing about sea days is you drink more, you gamble more, you eat more! At least we do. But the 3 port days and 4 sea days was PERFECT for us. I'd love to do a cruise with that layout every time honestly.

Until you are comfortable with more sea days than port days you are not a 'cruiser'. You are a 'porter'. An experience 'cruiser' never wants two consecutive port days.

Until you are comfortable with more sea days than port days you are not a 'cruiser'. You are a 'porter'. An experience 'cruiser' never wants two consecutive port days.

No. A porter is the person who handles luggage. Anyone who boards a cruise ship is a cruiser. Not all 'experienced' cruisers want a bunch of sea days. One of the best parts of cruise travel is getting to visit multiple places in a week.

Lower port tax/fees? Usually the few ships stopping at a port every day are older ships and those port fees add up-I doubt if many of the top rated cruise ships have more than 3-maybe 4 port days.

The port fees are as much on this one as they were for the 6 port stop I did. Hopefully, that means I get a bigger OBC refund.

More SeaDay brunches...

Flamin tomato soup, steak and eggs.

That would convince me. ;p

Last time, I wasn't a fan of the brunch. Maybe I will try what you recommended. I love a good omelet, potatoes, and meat for breakfast or a BlueIguana Burrito. Then for lunch, it's usually a Guy's Burger or chicken tacos from BlueIguana. Sooo good!

I'm not sure I agree with those extremes. If by "experienced" you mean older and more inclined to relax.

Ultimately only you can answer what would get old, or if you would enjoy "that many" sea days. Really can't know until you "take the chance". I can say for example we look for itineraries with more sea days than port days. We did an 8 day southern caribbean in May...3 port days, 4 sea days...we enjoyed that quite a bit. We've also done a handful of TransAtlantic cruises......primarily for...lots of sea days. Did a 16 day TA, 4 port days, 12 sea days, which included 6 straight days crossing the Atlantic, was awesome....for us....for you...well.....So for us, bring on the sea days!! I think if we could, we'd take a 7 or 8 days cruise with zero sea days, but thats us....

I love sea days too!! What cruise line and cruise was the one you mentioned, 16 days with 12 sea days?? Thanks.

I lovevseavdays too!! What cruise line and cruise was the one you mentioned, 16 days with 12 sea days?? Thanks.

That was on the Carnival Sunshine, after it’s long dry dock and European itineraries, when she returned to the US...probably our favorite TA so far...probably cause of all those sea days!! Well, that and the weather, especially during the crossing was nothing short of awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our upcoming Horizon cruise, we have 4 sea days and only 3 ports. Personally, since I'm coming off a brutal few months of work and work-related travel, I'm really looking forward to a relaxing cruise with lots of down time. I'm going with family (6 of us in total, all adults) and am excited to spend time with my parents and sibs, who I haven't seen much of recently. But you may feel differently. Are you coming off a crazy time at work? Or going in a big group? These things may influence your choice.

Most Carnival 7 day cruises have either 3 ports & 4 sea days, or 4 ports & 3 sea days
A typical 7 day cruise on Carnival has 6 full days because of embarkation and disembarkation on the front and back end, so it's usually 3/3 or 4/2, unless you're leaving out of San Juan, where many are 5/1. Our 8 day on the Horizon though is 3/4, with a pair of sea days on the front and back end. Looking forward to it while enjoying the Havana area and Cheers.