Cruising with a record

kona_wahine

Thanks everyone. I think the outstanding child support will be a problem. Not sure if he currently has a warrant, but he has in the past because of it. ya, I agree he should be paying his fare share for support, but you know how that goes. First kid is grown, the 2nd is in his care now. And the ex is.... you know the story.

A good test would be for him to apply for a passport. If it's issued then he'll have no issues with the cruise. If it's not issued then he knows there might be problems.

I think you might have missed the part about the child now living with him. I'm sure the mother isn't paying him child support!!

Pat

Two wrongs don’t make a right. If you can’t afford to financially support the children you produce, then you can’t afford to cruise!

Thanks everyone. I think the outstanding child support will be a problem. Not sure if he currently has a warrant, but he has in the past because of it. ya, I agree he should be paying his fare share for support, but you know how that goes. First kid is grown, the 2nd is in his care now. And the ex is.... you know the story.

NO, we don't know the story. The courts make the decisions and he made the decision not to pay, get it. Same with idiots who do not pay the IRS and a few years down the road they are garnished pay, you know the story.

My Dad had a great line to me, he's said " son, you don't plan to fail, you fail to plan"

So, in other words, he really isn't a 'good guy'.

So the child is living with him, the ex wife is not but should be paying child support and he wants to take child on a cruise. Yea he's a real bad guy[emoji782]

If he owes outstanding child support then at some point he was ordered to pay to support his kids and didn’t. Since one is grown this may have gone on for many years. Doesn’t make him a saint for taking custody of one child now without support. More like what goes around comes around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The back child support will not be an issue as long as he is now currently paying it. My husband owes back child support for his child that is deceased and dropped out of school at 15yrs. His child support should have ended then, but every time he took his x back to court she would sign their daughter up for adult education, but she would never attend. Then she was killed in an accident, we paid for the funeral, paid the balance on her car, flew out to Nevada to get said car and drive it back, all totaling over $25,000. In the meantime, the wrongful death lawsuit and his daughters estate were handled by his x-wife, she got a million dollar settlement and reimbursed for the funeral she did not pay for. She stated that her daughter did not have a father, therefore he was not listed in the lawsuit or estate. In my opinion the 7K my husband owes (an is paying) pales in comparision to her portion of the funeral and final expenses that we paid.

The back child support will not be an issue as long as he is now currently paying it.

It will come down to this, and whether his child support is "in arrears." If he is flagged as being delinquent then I'd expect problems at debark.

This is the same criteria that determines whether your Federal tax refund is garnished for child support by the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (the people who cut all tax refunds and most government payments).

He can find out by calling BFS at 800-304-3107 and (as I recall) Option 1 will let him know if he has an outstanding (i.e., "delinquent" or "in arrears") non-tax obligation...in his case, child support.

Hope he's "current" and able to cruise. I won't judge; the judgemental tone this thread took is a good reason why my friends call the site "CruiseCranky." :rolleyes:

I think you might have missed the part about the child now living with him. I'm sure the mother isn't paying him child support!!

Pat

No, I didn't miss it. The point is that for the years he didn't pay, the mother racked up bills and other expenses that he should have helped pay.

She should have all that back support (with interest if she has a good lawyer) paid to her.

It will come down to this, and whether his child support is "in arrears." If he is flagged as being delinquent then I'd expect problems at debark.

This is the same criteria that determines whether your Federal tax refund is garnished for child support by the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (the people who cut all tax refunds and most government payments).

He can find out by calling BFS at 800-304-3107 and (as I recall) Option 1 will let him know if he has an outstanding (i.e., "delinquent" or "in arrears") non-tax obligation...in his case, child support.

Hope he's "current" and able to cruise. I won't judge; the judgemental tone this thread took is a good reason why my friends call the site "CruiseCranky." :rolleyes:

All child support my husband owes is in arrears--he has never had a problem on a cruise, no question ever. He is paying.

Lol, I have to laugh at the judging people on this board. Why not just not respond if you don’t want to answer the question. For those with actual help, I thank you.

People can be judgemental on this board, including me. But I have no sympathy for anyone who doesn't take care of their responsibilities as a parent, and I am willing to bet most people on this board will agree with me, especially this situation where a parent doesn't pay overdue child support but has money to spend on a cruise. I am sorry, but that is 100% wrong in my book.

Canada is a bit strict with this. If you have a DUI, even if it is like 20 years old that can be enough to refuse you entry into Canada or put into handcuffs

It is true one cannot go to Canada after a DUI conviction no matter how long ago it was, unless they apply for and receive a waiver. The part about handcuffs is overkill... They just would not allow you off the ship at a port of call.

If flying or driving they just tell you to go back immediately.

It is true one cannot go to Canada after a DUI conviction no matter how long ago it was, unless they apply for and receive a waiver. The part about handcuffs is overkill... They just would not allow you off the ship at a port of call.

If flying or driving they just tell you to go back immediately.

I've read that agents at the border can let you enter at their discretion if it has been over 10 years. The only sure way though is with Rehabilitation or the temp resident permit.

I love how everyone here knows the full story of this fella's history and is expressing their opinion on someone they know absolutely nothing about.

Yup...now I remember why i left these boards for so long. Been here today all of an hour and it's disgusting the assumptions and comments that are made.

So the child is living with him, the ex wife is not but should be paying child support and he wants to take child on a cruise. Yea he's a real bad guy:confused:

How did you deduce that he wanted to take the child with him on the cruise? His critics aren't the only ones forming unwarranted assumptions.