Cruising with a record

kona_wahine

my son and his buddy are talking about a cruise. His buddy has a record, owes child support so doesn’t have a drivers license but has state issued ID, and can’t get a passport because of his record. So, will a birth certificate get him on the ship and state issued ID be enough to get back on board in ports? Ya, I know if something happens.... but that’s not my problem. And he’s actually a good guy, doing right with his daughter now, she’s living with him.

He doesn’t have a passport, just a birth certificate. You don’t have to go thru customs anymore unless you have a certain amount to declare, isn’t that right? Mainly it was just getting on board at the beginning of the cruise. I know I have only used my DL & S&S card to get back on board at ports.

He doesn’t have a passport, just a birth certificate. You don’t have to go thru customs anymore unless you have a certain amount to declare, isn’t that right? Mainly it was just getting on board at the beginning of the cruise. I know I have only used my DL & S&S card to get back on board at ports.

It's not customs on return but immigration and everyone has to go thru that. But as you say, the issue is getting on the ship. I'd call Carnival and verify that what he has is sufficient. The free advice you get here is worth what you pay for it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Typically getting on the ship is the easy part as long as you have an original birth certificate and state/government issued photo ID. I've never heard of anyone's past criminal record or pending open court cases being an issue unless the judge or law enforcement tells the person they can't travel outside of an area. If your friend has an active warrant or other court ordered restrictions then they'll likely arrest him upon return from the cruise. But don't rule out the possibility of being arrested at any time on U.S. soil if he does have an active warrant. As for ports, each country has different rules so you should check before going.

Prior criminal bad acts are no problem. Take valid photo ID and an original birth certificate and enjoy.

HOWEVER -- I agree with posts above, if he has restrictions he should check with the court or probation officer. If he has open warrants he will more than likely be arrested at some point along the way (airport, cruise terminal, anywhere they may "run" his ID).

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

Not sure how they will be arriving to port, but TSA will no longer be accepting drivers' licenses from some states. If they are flying, he may need a passport. Also, if you are stopping at a Canadian port, he may not be allowed as they are very strict on past convictions, including minor ones.

Other than that, if it starts and ends in the US, the drivers' license and birth certificate is just fine.

Typically getting on the ship is the easy part as long as you have an original birth certificate and state/government issued photo ID. I've never heard of anyone's past criminal record or pending open court cases being an issue unless the judge or law enforcement tells the person they can't travel outside of an area. If your friend has an active warrant or other court ordered restrictions then they'll likely arrest him upon return from the cruise. But don't rule out the possibility of being arrested at any time on U.S. soil if he does have an active warrant. As for ports, each country has different rules so you should check before going.

Canada is a bit strict with this. If you have a DUI, even if it is like 20 years old that can be enough to refuse you entry into Canada or put into handcuffs

From experience I can tell you that my former son in law who had a record from years before, even though cleared up a long time ago

always got pulled aside returning from a cruise when we got to US customs

They always took him to the "special " room. It got to be so predictable that we quit freaking out

But it happened on all 3 cruises

If it is a cruise to Cuba, I believe you HAVE to have a passport. Correct me if I am wrong....

You are correct, also a loop through Canada on the way to Alaska, you will require a passport. However, wouldn't the easiest thing to is make payment arrangements and have his record cleared, it's really the easiest way to solve the problem.

It’s up to your friend to jump through any and all hoops that are out there - it seems like a pretty tempting opportunity for a resentful ex to cause an unwanted problem, if that’s a possibility. He would be well advised to carefully/meticulously investigate it.

Does he have an outstanding judgement concerning the child support? That could result in being led off the ship in handcuffs on debarkation day.

Don’t mean to sound like a jerk, but if he is such a good guy, he should be spending money on the child support he owes before even thinking about spending money on a cruise.

I think regardless of ID used they might want to check beforehand that he won't get turned around at security.

I suspect his luggage will certainly be searched.

I'm saying this because the only criminal convictions that would prevent someone from getting a passport are treason and international drug trafficking. So I'd say plan plenty of extra time for customs/security hassle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

here you go:

Child Support Cases

People who have unpaid child support arrears of over $2,500 are not eligible for a U.S. passport. Before you apply for a passport, you must make arrangements in the state where the child support is owed to make the payments; if you have questions about the process or about what is owed, you should contact the nearest child support enforcement agency. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services must remove your name from its list of outstanding arrears and give the U.S. Department of State an updated copy of the list.

Cruising with a record and cruising without a passport are two entirely different questions.

Yes, for a US citizen on a closed loop sailing in the Caribbean/Mexico (excluding Cuba) a state issued ID and birth certificate are all that is required to board

Will get have issues due to his criminal record? No idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does he have an outstanding judgement concerning the child support? That could result in being led off the ship in handcuffs on debarkation day.

Don’t mean to sound like a jerk, but if he is such a good guy, he should be spending money on the child support he owes before even thinking about spending money on a cruise.

I agree

People cruise having a criminal history all of the time. So long as he doesn't have any travel restrictions that haven't been waived by being on parole, probation, etc., his record is a non-issue.

It's the back child support that is an issue and any warrants that may results from it or anything else. Open warrants get folks in trouble upon return to the port. And as someone else already pointed out, he will need to make sure his support payments are caught up or at least not too far in arrears. He should want to do that anyway - before he goes on vacation.

Thanks everyone. I think the outstanding child support will be a problem. Not sure if he currently has a warrant, but he has in the past because of it. ya, I agree he should be paying his fare share for support, but you know how that goes. First kid is grown, the 2nd is in his care now. And the ex is.... you know the story.

It's not customs on return but immigration and everyone has to go thru that. But as you say, the issue is getting on the ship. I'd call Carnival and verify that what he has is sufficient. The free advice you get here is worth what you pay for it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Ah, but it is Customs when you return, you are cleared by CBP Officers who have always pulled double duty with immigration screening (if they have any questions about someone's status it's off to secondary inspection where they will meet with what used to be called immigration inspectors, not sure what their job title is today).