Lobster Night Question

sh2738

It has been a couple of years since I last cruises with RCCL. Do they still have lobster night on the 3nd formal night? And is it a whole lobster or just a tail? I know that they have a whole lobster for an upcharge but wanted to see if anyone knows what the free lobster typically is to see if it is also a whole lobster so I can know which one to get. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, sh2738 said:

It has been a couple of years since I last cruises with RCCL. Do they still have lobster night on the 3nd formal night? And is it a whole lobster or just a tail? I know that they have a whole lobster for an upcharge but wanted to see if anyone knows what the free lobster typically is to see if it is also a whole lobster so I can know which one to get. Thanks. 

It's never been a whole lobster in the 30 years I've been booking the line. Just a frozen tail that everyone seems to get tingles over

What is served is warm water water tails (nothing at all like Maine lobster tails). Sometimes they are fine, while others they are dry and chewy. Been cruising for over 25 years and never saw whole lobster served except for the upcharge ones they now have. 

51 minutes ago, gerif said:

What is served is warm water water tails (nothing at all like Maine lobster tails). Sometimes they are fine, while others they are dry and chewy. Been cruising for over 25 years and never saw whole lobster served except for the upcharge ones they now have. 

Gerif, you are right! 

Maine lobster is sweeter and softer.

To me, the warm water lobster might be chewier and even sometimes bitter.

We just got off Harmony on Saturday.  They served lobster tails on the second formal night.  3 of the 5 people at our table ordered the lobster and they all said they were delicious- I don't eat seafood so I'm taking their word for it. (One of them was my wife- she'd never lie about lobster 😉)  Our waiter brought a plate with 5 extra tails on it for those who wanted seconds to share.  I'm sure if anyone wanted more than that they could have had them.

20 minutes ago, boonert said:

We just got off Harmony on Saturday.  They served lobster tails on the second formal night.  3 of the 5 people at our table ordered the lobster and they all said they were delicious- I don't eat seafood so I'm taking their word for it. (One of them was my wife- she'd never lie about lobster 😉)  Our waiter brought a plate with 5 extra tails on it for those who wanted seconds to share.  I'm sure if anyone wanted more than that they could have had them.

We were on the same sailing. I ordered 2 initially and the waitress got 2 for my wife as well. After I done with my 2, the waitress told me to just let her know if I want more but 2 is enough for me. The ones we had were good. Not over-cooked like they normally do and not chewy at all.

Lobster night has become a joke...look at the size of the fork and broccoli compared to the lobster. It took about 3 bites to eat the entire tail, probably 2 ounces of meat Sure, order all you want...but why not put a decent sized 6 ounce tail on the plate? 

This was from Allure October 2018 sailing. I'm a diamond member, so it's not my first lobster rodeo.

lob.jpg

22 minutes ago, Accessor said:

Lobster night has become a joke...look at the size of the fork and broccoli compared to the lobster. It took about 3 bites to eat the entire tail, probably 2 ounces of meat Sure, order all you want...but why not put a decent sized 6 ounce tail on the plate? 

This was from Allure October 2018 sailing. I'm a diamond member, so it's not my first lobster rodeo.

lob.jpgAnyone that knows anything about lobster will see that's a cold water lobster and not a Caribbean Lobster.

1 hour ago, Havingfun2010 said:

The lobster tail night is usually prime rib also.  I order the prime rib and ask for a tail on the side.  I never understood what the big deal was since I never thought it was so great to eat on the ship.  (I had really good lobster elsewhere).

this would be a bad night for me. I don't like either prime rib or lobster 

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

I freely admit that I know nothing about lobster. How do you tell the difference? 

Sometimes you can't tell by taste but there's always the shell.

image.png.2201b62e62dd745d1e612914a161580d.png

Edited by Big_G

No reason to handle, store and serve the whole lobster when it is warm water lobster, also called longousta or longoustina.

The only meat is in the tail.  Some, but not many, will eat the part in the body of the shell, but not enough to double the space required to store them.

18 hours ago, gerif said:

Radiance this summer was the first time we had small, dry, chewy lobster tails.  They were completely bleh 😞

1 hour ago, SRF said:

No reason to handle, store and serve the whole lobster when it is warm water lobster, also called longousta or longoustina.

The only meat is in the tail.  Some, but not many, will eat the part in the body of the shell, but not enough to double the space required to store them.

Langostino are different than warm water (spiny lobster)

https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/foodservice-retail/langostino-lobster-difference

15 hours ago, Havingfun2010 said:

The lobster tail night is usually prime rib also.  I order the prime rib and ask for a tail on the side.  I never understood what the big deal was since I never thought it was so great to eat on the ship.  (I had really good lobster elsewhere).

The big deal is that lots of people never order lobster at a restaurant due to the price.