Need Help: What Cruise would you choose

MermaidMommy03

Hello! My family and I took our first family cruise last June. I had cruised when younger but my husband was afraid to cruise. Well we went on the Elation from Jacksonville and he loved it. Last year we did Half Moon cay and Bahamas (we really didnt care for the Nassau Port) . This summer he wants to go on a bigger ship. We live in central Florida and we don't mind driving to any Florida port. What would you all recommend. A family of 5, 3 children ages 12,9,6.

Carnival Horizon: Miami, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel (6day) 

Carnival Breeze: Pt Canaveral, Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (7 day)

Carnival Magic: Ft Lauderdale, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk Amber Cove (6 day)

I know these ships are pretty similar although the Sky Ride on the Horizon seems like so much fun. My husband is leaning toward the Horizon but I am thinking the extra day and ports on the Breeze may be worth the little extra $$$.

If we did go with the Horizon are the Family Harbor rooms (no balcony) worth it?

Edited by MermaidMommy03

I would choose the Breeze.  There is plenty to do for the kids and it's a great ship.  Plus, the longer the vacation the better!

The ports for Breeze are great too. Beautiful beaches on St Thomas and the pool and beach at Grand Turk is a great (almost free) day.  The forts in San Juan are really cool. The kids would probably like to explore them (mine did).

• Like 1

Breeze gets my vote. Same reasons as mentioned, plus, really prefer embark and debark in Port Canaveral. We’ve had rough experiences in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami (slightly better).

Edited by 2Shoes2Go
Addition

I, personally, would choose the Breeze because St Thomas and San Juan are two places I want to go back to someday. But that’s just me. Do any of the ports stand out as being places you would prefer to go over the others? HMC is my favorite port of all time, and if you have never been, I highly recommend it. 

If it’s just the ship you are concerned about, the Horizon is definitely the better than the Dream class ships as far as what it has to offer. So I guess it depends if you are picking for the itinerary or ship. 

We have only done Horizon (just off last week and wrote a review on this page). We had a family harbor suite with our 3 kids (11, 14, 16) and it was perfect. Loved everything about the experience. Dont book for the sky ride as it is often down. It was working on our voyage and we did it once....but even on a port day we waited 45 minutes for the 4 minute twirl around the ship. 

We will do the Breeze next Christmas on the other itenerary. The rooms for 5 there are more cramped and no balcony, so we will go with 2 rooms. 

Have a blast whatever you choose!

Many folks will say that the Dream Class (including the Breeze) is the best Carnival has to offer including the newer builds.  There is no doubt that the 7 day eastern is the best itinerary of the 3.  Certainly compare prices but pound for pound this is an easy choice as you can drive to any reasonable port. 

I would choose the Breeze. Been on the Magic and Visita and liked the Magic better which is similar to the Breeze. 7days is always better than 6. I will say that we stayed in the Family Harbor area on the Vista. We were right across the hall from the lounge and it was nice on port days to get breakfast so quick. It was nice but don't see myself going back on the ship. 

Another Breeze vote - my favorite ship & Pt. Canaveral is also one of my favorites.  I've sailed on the Magic & really enjoyed it too, but not as much as the Breeze.  I also live in Central Florida - Lakeland (between Tampa & Orlando) and though I've made the trip to Miami several times, Tampa & Pt. Canaveral are so much easier.

You'll have a great time either way - I'd really look at the ports and the deck plans or pix of the ships.  Happy sailing!

This is literally the first thread I have EVER seen where everyone agrees on something!  

I'd pick Breeze, just for the extra day.   I've never been on any of those ships though, so other than that I cannot comment.   I do love St. Thomas, you really can't go wrong.