AZ Upgrade Program - NEW - effective 3/12/19!!

BBMacLaird

2 hours ago, nordski said:

I now realize that I was a real pessimist compared to the hopes expressed by others. Was that a result of being raised midst dour Presbyterians? 😄.

Having read what is a very depressing thread, this quote, (especially as I live in Northern Ireland) definitely put a smile on my face. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CA Oceanfront said:

Agreed. And if we are trying to help the reader avoid having to look up the subject cruise, we might even ask to include the world region or general itinerary, such as Norway intensive or Westbound TA.

I don’t think this will be that helpful because it’s a generalisation.  At the end of the day it is very dependent upon the way your particular cruise is selling and what cabins are left.  Your suggestions are going into too much detail.  It’s easy to look on the Azamara website and see what is left and then there is no guarantee that cabins haven’t been put to consolidators.  Just my opinion.

Phil

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I don’t think this will be that helpful because it’s a generalisation.  At the end of the day it is very dependent upon the way your particular cruise is selling and what cabins are left.  Your suggestions are going into too much detail.  It’s easy to look on the Azamara website and see what is left and then there is no guarantee that cabins haven’t been put to consolidators.  Just my opinion.

Phil

You’re probably right, but it will be interesting to see the range of successful bids. 

How do you think this will affect Guarantee Cabins.? These are traditionally priced lower than the going rate. Sometimes you get lucky and receive a most desirable cabin ,sometimes not so, but that’s the chance we take and we know the score.Do you think that now there is this bidding war, the poorer cabins will be allocated to Guarantee guests? Also can guarantee guests bid or are the fares classed as not full fare?

I have read through this thread this morning, having received an email from Azamara telling me that I am eligible to bid for an upgrade on our forthcoming April cruise. Some of you may be interested to know that I am one of those who has never succeeded in receiving emails before, despite submitting various forms/requests over the years; this, in itself, was an encouraging sign!

I have a few thoughts.

There is a lot of concern about the benefits for frequent cruisers/LCV status, but surely we have had the benefit already of a percentage discount on our original booking...? Should we not just accept what Azamara is telling us (ie. that our LCV level will be to our benefit ‘all other things being equal’), instead of insisting on knowing the algorithm being applied?

Also, a more profitable alternative for Azamara could surely be to discount prices heavily once our final payments have been made. This could draw in more passengers, but would upset loyal cruisers. It seems to me that booked guests are being given a bonus offer, and that it is up to each traveller to decide whether it is worth it (and how much it is worth) to each of them.

I do agree that for those with specific travelling needs, it is very difficult not to have the opportunity to express them via this system. Perhaps something could be incorporated into the original booking that would highlight this...?

I understand that from next year, there will be a new tier of pricing for Veranda suites - inserting a new price band between Verandas and CC suites (Plus?). Under the old system, we would not have applied for the possibility of an upgrade as the Plus cabins would not be a significant enough attraction for us to pay extra. With this system, we may try our luck at jumping from a Veranda to a CC - as, in fact, we have using our offer this week. We were never successful under the old system, and our bid yesterday was judged to be ‘weak’, but we still have our fingers crossed!

Apologies for the length of this post!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ebeth63 said:

Also, a more profitable alternative for Azamara could surely be to discount prices heavily once our final payments have been made. This could draw in more passengers, but would upset loyal cruisers. It seems to me that booked guests are being given a bonus offer, and that it is up to each traveller to decide whether it is worth it (and how much it is worth) to each of them.

Oh, I think Azamara will discount prices after final payments--they'll likely get more money from a newly booked passenger than one that's already booked and bidding for an upgrade, unless they set the bidding level at a higher rate to account for that.

6 hours ago, Ebeth63 said:

There is a lot of concern about the benefits for frequent cruisers/LCV status, but surely we have had the benefit already of a percentage discount on our original booking...? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the percentage discount for LCV available only for voyages booked while onboard?

Teri 

Edited by Ithikan
further cut

29 minutes ago, Ithikan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the percentage discount for LCV available only for voyages booked while onboard?

Teri 

You are correct and you lose it if you want to enjoy any subsequent price drops or offers so it is only a benefit if you are happy with the price level 

Edited by uktog

Ebeth63 wrote:

" I understand that from next year, there will be a new tier of pricing for Veranda suites - inserting a new price band between Verandas and CC suites (Plus?). Under the old system, we would not have applied for the possibility of an upgrade as the Plus cabins would not be a significant enough attraction for us to pay extra. With this system, we may try our luck at jumping from a Veranda to a CC - as, in fact, we have using our offer this week. "

As far as I know the balcony cabins themselves are the same categories as before numbered 1-3, the "plus" is the package that comes with it: bag of laundry and some internet minutes which I'd get anyway, complimentary in-room spirits ( whatever is meant by that) which I don't need and one dinner per week in one of the specialty restaurants. At the cruise we are considering it would be 200 Euros p.p. to upgrade to "plus" category. It will be interesting to see what the bids for such a cruise would be...

As so many have already stated - I think I'd prefer paying that money if I wanted to upgrade instead of offering the same amount of money for a bid that might be considered "weak"... It might be more interesting to still being able to upgrade for a decent amount to a Club Continent suite!

Anyway it will be interesting to see from successful bids how the chances to really be successful are and how it compares to the old system.

Unfortunately I still don't know if - as a European customer with a customary 4-week deadline to final payment - I would be allowed to bid anyway!

11 minutes ago, grayjay said:

Unfortunately I still don't know if - as a European customer with a customary 4-week deadline to final payment - I would be allowed to bid anyway!

If it is important to you on a particular cruise to be able to bid when bidding opens can you make your final payment earlier in order to fulfill the criteria?

13 minutes ago, gymfreak said:

If it is important to you on a particular cruise to be able to bid when bidding opens can you make your final payment earlier in order to fulfill the criteria?

Now that’s an interesting question! Especially for those who have a final payment date well inside 90 days.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

It doesn't show up as an option for me.  We made our final payment for our July cruise in December.

btw . . . I did this just to check on eligibility.  I don't intend to participate in a bidding process.  I'm happy with the V2 cabin we chose.

Jerry

I can only share my experience with Celebrity’s Move Up program which seems to be exactly what Azamara announced.   The bidding opens between 45-30 days pre-Cruise, for our cruises it has been 30 or less.   Not everyone is eligible to bid ( no idea of how it is determined).  Sold out categories are offered for bidding, assuming so that if there is a very last minute cancellation they can accept a bid (more $).  Categories with openings are also opened to bids.

Guarantee  cabin booking have been open during the bidding time.  

Most posting of a successful bid have been lower categories, although a few have moved from AQ or CC to s Sky Suite.

The minimum bid varies depending upon the category you are currently booked into.  We are in a Royal Suite on our next cruise & were offered the opportunity to bid on s Penthouse (only 2 and both booked) for us the minimum bid was $1000pp; for a another cruiser booked in a Celebrity  Suite the minimum bid was higher.

Hope our limited experience helps in understanding how this work

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 2:35 PM, uktog said:

I can confirm someone in a verandah can bid if they wish on anything right up to Owners at various price points.  

I can as well. We are in a Veranda and I could have bid on the Owners Suite, but the price was way over budget. We bid the minimum on a Club Continent. Probably won’t get it, but it was worth the effort. 

I must say, I’m not crazy about this bidding on a “pig in a poke” idea.  I would like to have the option to say “nevermind,” if the location isn’t good. When we got the opportunity to upgrade on our Viking cruise last spring, there was a number to call.  When I did, I was able to choose between a few cabins. I was very happy with the $199 pp upgrade price and our cabin.  

Most things with Viking are uncomplicated. 

With the old system, the price for an upgrade was fixed. Also, when offered you knew what cabin # and could refuse it. It was a no risk way of moving up. For us, it was a good idea.

Just did a Celebrity cruise. Celebrity has the same upgrade bidding ....bid, pay, and get upgrade cabin anywhere on the ship.  We did not bid for an upgrade on Celebrity.  We booked a mid-ship veranda cabin on the hump. Location was perfect. We were happy with our chosen cabin.  We had friends who bid and got assigned an upgraded cabin near the bow.  They complained that they paid more to get a bad location.  They were so far forward that they heard noise from the anchor.  They vowed never to bid again. 

Just wondering how the new bidding will go.  Will it attract more people or turn people off? 

I have not read all 9 pages but I received an email about being eligible for an upgrade as well.  I didn't try it but was wondering, how long does it take for them to reply to let you know if it worked...…?  If your bid was accepted or not?

Oh, I decided to put a bid in and sail in less than 30 days so I am guessing I will find out soon enough. And I

also in a regular balcony now so even if my bid gets denied I am happy with my first choice.

I've followed this thread since the beginning and just wanted to provide my experience.  Maybe it will console others in the same situation.

I've tried to access the bidding process multiple times, different days, different times, different last names (my husband and I have different last names) and continue to get the "not eligible" response.  Our voyage is 56 days away, we paid in full at the end of December, and we got the email that the program was open (and I double checked to make sure that our preferences state we accept emails from Azamara).  We are booked in CV and there are suites available, so that isn't the issue.

I sent an email, after the first few attempts, to the email on Azamara's website.  No response.  After Bonnie posted another email just for these problems (thank you for that, Bonnie, post #159), I sent another message to that address on 3/14 and got an automatic reply.  Still no actual reply and still can't access the bidding process.

So, if there are others out there who haven't been able to access the system, you are not alone!  And we'll be happy with our veranda if we're never able to bid!

Barbara

My query to this email address has also remained unanswered.

Despite my continued custom, with 3 future cruises already booked, it would appear that Azamara is somewhat disinterested in my future business.  

So disenchanted with the poor onshore service provided by Azamara has resulted in the cruise booking I have made today is with one of the competition!

We also are having difficulty trying to access the upgrade process. DH got an email from Azamara but I have not received one about the upgrade even though I receive lots of marketing emails from them. We are both now Discoverer Platinum and have 9 future cruises booked with Azamara -  4 for this year and 5 for 2020. DH has got the same "Not Eligible" message every time he tries the process. On 12th March, DH sent an email to the upgrade email address and copied it to Sandra Penaranda (LCV Ambassador) but have had no reply from either one. Very disappointed with the whole process.

5 hours ago, maygrovecruisers said:

We also are having difficulty trying to access the upgrade process. DH got an email from Azamara but I have not received one about the upgrade even though I receive lots of marketing emails from them. We are both now Discoverer Platinum and have 9 future cruises booked with Azamara -  4 for this year and 5 for 2020. DH has got the same "Not Eligible" message every time he tries the process. On 12th March, DH sent an email to the upgrade email address and copied it to Sandra Penaranda (LCV Ambassador) but have had no reply from either one. Very disappointed with the whole process.

I think you first need to receive an email inviting you to bid before you can start the process.  You have to have paid in full to start the process as well -  depends when your cruises are whether you have a glitch or not but I agree its not a process that loyal guests can feel engaged with.

5 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think you first need to receive an email inviting you to bid before you can start the process.  You have to have paid in full to start the process as well -  depends when your cruises are whether you have a glitch or not but I agree its not a process that loyal guests can feel engaged with.

I’ve not had the email but I can bid, I just followed the link from Bonnies first post.

1 minute ago, DebbieMacG said:

I’ve not had the email but I can bid, I just followed the link from Bonnies first post.

I think your cruise is quite soon, I am not sure when Maygrovecruisers are cruising, they may be too early

I

2 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

That has been my experience a day or so after the new system was announced.