Strong Cologne on board

Jasonmom

How do you feel about people wearing strong cologne on board?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about people wearing strong cologne on board?

• People should be allowed to do what they want.
    • They should have to walk the plank.

My asthma is VERY vapor sensitive, so perfumes/colognes/air fresheners/cleaning materials etc. all can get to me.  But if someone wants to be over stinky, I'll just keep going past them.  If I am stuck, it is MY choice of what to do.  For example, let's say hubby and I sat down in good seats for a performance, and a very scented person sat down next to me.  I haven't the right to tell them to leave because of their scent choice.  It's my individual problem, so I'd be forced to move.   If I were in fixed dining (which we prefer), and on the first night a table companion's scent was overwhelming, I'd be honest.   I'd tell them I couldn't bear it, and would they be willing to forego the scent, or should we ask to be moved to another table.......

• Like 3

Imposing smells - whether they reflect perfume, men’s cologne, fabric softener of just plain body odor - are part of the downside of being among thousands of other people;  sadly, in every large group there will be some who simply stink - if it’s bad enough, you have to relocate —- it is not socially acceptable to tell the offender that he ought to wash it off.

• Like 2

I have a grandchild on weekends whose stuffed animal was so heavily scented, from some laundry product used by stepmom, that it made me ill. I finally threw it in the washer on HOT, and have to periodically repair the damage. He needs new stuffing soon to keep his head from falling off.🤐

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jpsykes said:

I sometimes have to get off the elevator when people get on with overly strong scents

The worst is having someone with way too much cologne or perfume sit at the next table in a restaurant. The taste of food is affected by how it smells (think of how food seemed tasteless when you had a bad cold). If someone has such on over powering smell about them, the food won't be as enjoyable. 

neither.    while it's not plank worthy,  its also not my place to  police the fragrance habits of others.  I am sure what I wear would be considered strong by some people.    and its less about how strong it is  than about the actual scent.  

about the only place its a major problem is  elevators.   anywhere else there is enough fresh air being circulated that it's a fleeting annoyance at best.  kinda like  cigarette smoke  when walking by  the smoking areas.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps some of the blame belongs to the cruise lines.  Having an onboard  shop selling perfume/cologne does send a message that its fine to douse one's self in some horrid scent that can set off asthma attacks in others.  In the past few years we have noticed that there are fewer folks using strong scents so perhaps many do get it!   But we still recall sharing a large table (for 8 ) at dinner and being in a situation where 6 of us decided to move to a table for 6 (back when we still did fixed dining).  The shunned couple later asked us why we had all moved and after some prodding did answer by explaining that the lady reeked of unpleasant perfume.    This actually led to a discussion about whether it would have been more proper to have explaining the situation (prior to changing tables).  But these days, most folks prefer to avoid any kind of confrontation...so quietly shunning perfume/cologne wearers is more the norm.

We now quietly shun dining with anyone who wears "scents,"  baseball hats in the MDR, or uses their cell phone at the dining table.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We now quietly shun dining with anyone who wears "scents,"  baseball hats in the MDR, or uses their cell phone at the dining table.

Hank

Rather accepting of you— I have run into a few other categories which trigger my shun reflex:  religious proselyters,  folk who insist that their political orientation is the only sane one, men who flaunt their armpit hair... I’m afraid my list is a bit longer than yours.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is a major problem for my wife and for others we have met on cruises.  She has MCS which stand for Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.  All those things stated here and more affect her.  We thought we might have to stop cruising because of it.  We have developed some defence methods to avoid as many smells as possible because that is the only thing that works for her.  People don't understand that their perfume, cologne or hair spray can make people like my wife very sick, not for just hours but sometimes several days.  

We avoid cruises with major formal nights.  Casual nights seem to have less smells.   Some cruise lines have staff that wear over powering colognes and we avoid them.  I walk ahead of my wife and give her directions as to which way to go and when to hold her breath or breathe through her mouth.  We also go on cruise ships with lots of space and don't use sprays in the air.

Had a discussion on this many years ago with my Dad.  We would go to church and some women were reeking with scent.  He told me that scents should be so light that you couldn't be sure if someone was wearing them or not. Scent should be subtle, not overpowering!

• Like 2

Once in a Parisian department store I had a saleswoman tell me that most North Americans don't know how to wear scent properly. I agree. She said you shouldn't be able to tell that a woman (or man) is wearing scent unless you are holding them in your arms. You definitely shouldn't be overpowered by someone across the table or in the next row in a theatre! I have to hold my breath and power walk past perfume counters to avoid an asthma attack. Have also had to ask for a different table in the MDR and change seats in the theatre to avoid the "stinkers". Too bad the ships can't have a scent free policy like hospitals and doctors offices do.

Exactly.  There are very wide variations between individual sense of smell.  Just as there are on attire or food.

Who becomes the arbiter?

We are very sensitive to it to the point that we go well out of our way to avoid the cosmetics/perfume areas of stores where always seem to be handing out those smelly samples or spraying some poor victims hand with heaven knows what!  It does not seem to bother others-especially the ones lined up for a freebee.

Edited by iancal

53 minutes ago, mom says said:

Too bad the ships can't have a scent free policy like hospitals and doctors offices do.

Sorry -- but the LAST thing we need onboard is the Perfume Police! What we DO need is for folks to use some consideration and common sense, when applying various scented products. A little of that (like perfume) would go a long way!

• Like 1

And next a poll about those who don’t use enough??

Mrs Gut has a neurological condition and smell can be a trigger, but WE have to deal with it, not impose restrictions on everyone else.

• Like 1

My DW has a good analogy for the "over scented" situation, which I can believe; As one ages, their olfactory senses diminish, causing them to apply a an amount of fragrance to the point that only they can smell personally, not taking into account of those around them. . This is a kind way of saying, "My God! that person makes my eyes water!"

So it goes, and we can deal with it, eh?