Price Comparisons Today vs Tomorrow

mfs2k

I am seeing some very good inside prices on select sailings...June 1 Equinox,  7 night W. Caribbean $533pp plus taxes, but, the deal of the day is the Solstice 19 night Sydney - Honolulu inside for $777 pp plus taxes.  I believe these are both non refundable, guarantee.  Some very good pricing on May Bermuda also.

Just checked our cruises we booked during the 20/20 sale.

The big one of note, is Japan '21. My son's inside room is near the same price if he were to go to a non-refundable, and up a whopping $1000 if he were to book refundable today. WOW! No perks before or after changes. For the veranda my sis and I are sharing, the non-refundable is down by 432pp, but deduct the free gratuities and that is down to 232pp, plus the drink package. The refundable has gone up $100pp .

I checked our '20 Caribbean and it has gone up two hundred on the cabin, same perks, refundable. The non-refundable with no perks is much cheaper, but not after adding in the gratuities and drink package.

I'm glad we're already booked.

Great idea for a thread!  The following rates are for a 2021 15-night Singapore to Dubai itinerary on (what will be) the newly Revolutionized Constellation, Sky Suite S2 total for 2 people:

April 2: $13,819 - 4 perks (w/ premium beverage); refundable $900 deposit  (I booked this knowing the changes were coming)

April 4: $14,819 - 4 perks (w/ premium beverage); refundable $900 deposit (increase of $1,000 like for like, April 2nd to 4th)

OR 

$13,079 - NO perks; NON-REFUNDABLE $900 deposit

Edited by stines
Typo

I priced our Dec, 2019 Carib cruise on the equinox. With 2 perks, It went up about $300.00 for a concierge. With no perks it's about the same price I paid with 2 perks, but at least now they give you the options for what you may want. I think it's a plus in that way. No more guessing.

15 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I just priced June 16 Bermuda/New England 11 Day from Bayonne NJ on Summit

• OV ($3,175.70 2 perks plus tips),
  • Veranda ($4,875.50 2 perks plus tips)
  • Sky Suite guarantee ($8,176 4 perks)

Prices Today

• OV ($3,375.70 2 perks plus tips),  Increase of $200.00
  • Veranda ($4,575.50 2 perks plus tips) Decrease of $300.00
  • Sky Suite ($9,776 4 perks) Increase of $1,600 !!!   (I had to select a Sky Suite if I wanted perks.  The guarantee did not come with any perks)

Conclusion:  It's all BS marketing and the key is to shop around.

If you want a really good deal, you need to wait until the final payment date has passed, and look for a bargain.  Prices zigzag all over the place. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aralim said:

Tough tracking this one sailing because it's already almost sold out and prices have been climbing steadily, but:

Summit

Aug 2-16, 2020 (14 nights(

Transatlantic to Iceland & Greenland

• Interior (9) -- $2,541 (was $2,009 in mid-Jan when I booked this category cabin)
  • Veranda (2C / Sweet 16 cabin) -- $4,149 (was $3,499 in mid-Jan)

Today’s pricing appears to be roughly back where it was when I first booked, but only if I were to book NRD:

• Interior (9) -- $2,069 NRD ($2,601 refundable)
  • Veranda (2C / Sweet 16 cabin) -- $3,717 NRD ($4,249 refundable)
  • Two included perks only offered on the Verandah, regardless of whether I chose NRD or refundable deposit on the interior; the statement that even interior cabins on TA / repositioning cruises would be eligible for perks appears to be incorrect
  • Going with all four perks on the Verandah was +$600-ish per person

EDIT: Looks like the only way to get the lowest price with no perks is to choose the NRD option, which frankly sucks. On the Verandah cabin, perks were only offered with refundable deposit;  selecting “no thanks” in the perks picker did not lower the price, at all! So if you want a refundable deposit be sure to pick two perks that cover the price gap and that you’ll use well.

Edited by Aralim

I booked 10 night Reflection 11/29/19 while onboard, $4006 Aqua , two perks plus extra $150 OBC , todays price with two perks $6716

Also booked the Edge for 11/15/20-9 nights- while onboard , $5301 Aqua two perks plus 150 extra OBC , today"s price $10,222.

Our 50th anniversary cruise , also booked onboard ,12 nights on 3/15/19 on Silhouette $5025 Aqua ,two perks,plus$200 extra OBC todays price $9530

So 3 cruise I paid $14,332 that today would cost $26,468 , if this pricing continues ,I doubt we will keep sailing Celebrity.

• Like 2

I booked a 5 night cruise on the infinity about 7 months ago, for December 2019. I picked that date because, well, it was cheap. I decided to do all 4 perks, in one of those hump verandas-total was $1800 (plus change). 

Today...$2800 😮 it goes to key west and Cozumel-pretty common cruising destinations. I thought $1800 was high, but I wanted to pretty much be all inclusive (gift to hubby) but $2800...that’s nuts. 

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

I checked my fall TA this morning. Price is down $80 from last week if I switch to non refundable and up $550 for  refundable. No perks for this cabin. I have flights booked so don't mind switching

I would also check with another TA.  I noticed that some TA sites have lost the perks today and others have them - no idea why

1 minute ago, fragilek said:

I would also check with another TA.  I noticed that some TA sites have lost the perks today and others have them - no idea why

Checked my TA for the fall meant my trans Atlantic.  I only book direct with Celebrity.  I don't bother with checking other sites . 

I agree with one putt.  Prices are getting more than we’re willing to pay.  Love Celebrity and love cruising but ...

we booked  a month or so ago 9 night Silhouette for November 22/19.  Price for Concierge was $5700 Cdn incl 2 perks.  Today for the cabin next door which is still available, price is $7200 Cdn with two perks.  

We booked Reflection for March 2020 while on board Reflection in November 2018. Price is $3700 US for go best (4 perks). Today with 2 perks price is $5200 US.  

7 minutes ago, Josie2 said:

I agree with one putt.  Prices are getting more than we’re willing to pay.  Love Celebrity and love cruising but ...

Agreed. It makes me sad, I don’t want to switch from Celebrity, but it’s getting out of hand. We have a Transpacific booked on HAL. Same nights as Solstice, 3 or 4 nights apart for the departure $8,500 cdn on HAL in an aft balcony with drinks but $12,500 on Celebrity. I can not justify that. 

Pricing for our upcoming June cruise on Summit for an OV went up about $100PP (CDN) on the base fare. I also found that the price to add 2 perks (Go Better) increased by about $42 PP  ($532-490 CDN). So not only did the price increase, the delta for adding perks also went up a bit.

I just looked at what we paid last year on Silhouette B2B in December 2018 in a 1A balcony cabin - £4176 with free Drinks Pkg.  This year the identical B2B cruise, same itinerary, same cabin grade costs £7097 with Free drinks and $400 obc

The price increase is 69%.  We have already jumped ship to MSC Yacht Club, WOW what a difference having just completed our first Yacht Club cruise on Preziosa. Already booked two more Yacht club cruises for 2020 and 2021, one on Preziosa the other on Seaside.

We are so glad that Celebrity hiked their prices otherwise we would probably never have tried the Yacht Club.  Celebrity could never match the quality of the experience at anything near to the prices of MSC which have already increased by 20% over last year. Thank you Celebrity, we won't be returning anytime soon if ever.

Edited by mickey89

I travel solo so doubling a price that includes perks is sort of a no-win since I only need one of anything.  Looks like I'll do best with the minimum fare and paying for whatever I choose to add on (wifi with CC discount).  I think the only way I'll book going forward is onboard with a $100 deposit, assuming they still are going to offer that.  A $100 non refundable deposit for the no-frills military option is doable.  A $900 non refundable deposit isn't.

25 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I just looked at what we paid last year on Silhouette B2B in December 2018 in a 1A balcony cabin - £4176 with free Drinks Pkg.  This year the identical B2B cruise, same itinerary, same cabin grade costs £7097 with Free drinks and $400 obc

The price increase is 69%.  We have already jumped ship to MSC Yacht Club, WOW what a difference having just completed our first Yacht Club cruise on Preziosa. Already booked two more Yacht club cruises for 2020 and 2021, one on Preziosa the other on Seaside.

We are so glad that Celebrity hiked their prices otherwise we would probably never have tried the Yacht Club.  Celebrity could never match the quality of the experience at anything near to the prices of MSC which have already increased by 20% over last year. Thank you Celebrity, we won't be returning anytime soon if ever.

How much less is Yacht Club?

47 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

You’re right. There appears to be a few of us this year that looked at X’s pricing for the Med and decided to start looking elsewhere (or bought a new car - Chemmo 🤣). The only way presently to get a decent price is to wait until after FP. Glad you enjoyed your MSC experience in the Yacht Club.  Did you book it over here or with a US agent?

Edited by villauk
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, jelayne said:

So we price today & then check price again tomorrow and what?

If tomorrow is higher than today then should we moan about the new pricing, kick ourselves for not booking today.  

Ain't that the truth.  LOL 🙂

I researched 3 different trips just for general knowledge (1 we are booked on and prices had already increased $1,200PP since we booked so didn’t expect to gain any savings, the other 2 trips were only to see what changed) and there are some interesting changes.  I only looked at veranda and above cabins as that is what we consider so if inside or ocean view cabin prices changed I wouldn't have any comments on those categories.   All prices below are per person, double occupancy.

The first 2 trips were 7 day, Southern Caribbean on the Summit in March of 2020 and 2021.  The price changes for the suites was the same on both trips, they all had a price drop of $66 if you gave up all 4 perks, and an increase of $200 if you kept the perks.  I also compared Veranda through Aqua base prices.  For the 2020 trip the lowest price AQ and CC increased $34 and lost 2 perks, to keep the 2 perks the price increased by $300.  Veranda saw a decrease of $16 to lose the perks and an increase of $300 to keep them.  The 2021 trip had price drops of $116 to give up the perks (suites excluded as noted above) and an increase of $150 to keep the 2 perks.

The third trip I looked at was a TA in November of 2020.  This trip actually has some savings.  If you pick no perks every price for a suite dropped $500 and non-suites dropped $531.  If you pick the 4 perks for a suite the prices are the same as before so you could now pick up 4 perks on a TA for the same price as no perks previously!  The non-suite prices with 2 perks stayed as the no perk prices previously so again, you have the opportunity to save some money, or pick up a couple perks at no added cost.

Bottom line, unless you are looking for a TA it seemed prices increased based on my limited research.  Just what I would have expected, sounds like a sale but really just a new way to increase most fares.

11 minutes ago, villauk said:

The only way presently to get a decent price is to wait until after FP. Glad you enjoyed your MSC experience in the Yacht Club.  Did you book it over here or with a US agent?

Preziosa booked in Uk as was cheaper here whilst we booked Seaside in US as it was cheaper also has refundable deposit.  Rather strange MSC pricing, need to be alert and look at options.

Edited by mickey89
  • Thanks 1

Yikes!  Missed the boat (figuratively and maybe literally) for sure.  Considering the Apex transatlantic in 2020.  I compared a mid-price balcony yesterday/today.  The price is up $540 pp!  Thought about phoning the big box yesterday to book and didn't follow up.  Sigh.

18 hours ago, julia said:

Wow MFS...  that cruise is already spendy!

Current price of my booking:

Solstice,

Sept 13-23 2019 (10 nts)

Vancouver to Hawaii

Verandah (2C)

$3,775  (two adults)

$600 OBC

Two classic bev packages

Correction to my post...  we are booked in a1C cabin.

My big box TA  is showing 5 options now for this sailing... NONE with Celebrity perks.  Zero perks! Oh, but wait!  I could now get a "resident rate" at $450 less, but would forfeit the drink packages & $300 OBC.  No thanks!

I will not be booking Celebrity anytime soon if this is their strategy.  It is ridiculous.