The "10" speech - 5 times in 7 days

40 minutes ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

To those of you that say you specifically will *not* give 10's if asked, would it be different if the staff simply asked you to fill out the survey? Meaning, you still get the annoying request to fill out the survey, but they do not mention 10s?

For me, yes it would be different.  Asking to fill out the survey doesn't bother me.  Being practically begged to give out 10's does.  What use is a survey when you're being told how to respond rather than giving your honest opinion.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

There is a place to mention the position/department 

I remember the narrative portion but I reserved it for the excellent service I received from other staff. I just thought if you're gonna' ask it on the survey, the next question should be who.

2 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

To those of you that say you specifically will *not* give 10's if asked, would it be different if the staff simply asked you to fill out the survey? Meaning, you still get the annoying request to fill out the survey, but they do not mention 10s?

Being reminded doesn't bother me. I usually interrupt and tell them not to worry about the survey. If my memory serves me correct, a 10 is only very satisfied.

8 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

and serving the entree 2 minutes after the appetizer was another common issue.  🙂 

I haven't sailed on Norwegian, but the inappropriate serving of the entrée while I am still eating the salad or appetizer is something that really annoys me at all restaurants. At this point, I just ask them to take it back and bring it when we are ready to eat it. 

4 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I haven't sailed on Norwegian, but the inappropriate serving of the entrée while I am still eating the salad or appetizer is something that really annoys me at all restaurants. At this point, I just ask them to take it back and bring it when we are ready to eat it. 

And I would have made it very clear that it won't happen again! 

3 hours ago, Big_G said:

I remember the narrative portion but I reserved it for the excellent service I received from other staff. I just thought if you're gonna' ask it on the survey, the next question should be who.

That's how it was on the last survey I did. Who asked you for the 10

When we were on Radiance 2 years ago, our MDR staff were LESS then stellar. SO bad that we actually had to speak with the head waiter. He even had to 'help' as our staff didn't seem to improve.  The 2nd to last night, the waiter & asst waiter practically begged for 10s repeating more than once that 'giving a 10 is like them sending 10 bowls of rice home to their families, but giving a 1 is like only sending 1 bowl home to their families.'  I have NEVER heard anything like that before. It annoyed us so badly, we didn't go back the last night.  And yes we did write that on the survey. 

We don't mind a 'if you had great service, I hope it reflects on your survey', but what we experienced that night was just plain WRONG!.
Erika

11 minutes ago, birdylady said:

The 2nd to last night, the waiter & asst waiter practically begged for 10s repeating more than once that 'giving a 10 is like them sending 10 bowls of rice home to their families, but giving a 1 is like only sending 1 bowl home to their families.' 
Erika

You should have told them that you were on a cruise not a guilt trip. My mother has conditioned me so I'm immune.

The one thing I hated back in the day of same wait staff and traditional dining were the heart breaking stories of how they are sending money home to feed the family and to rebuild the church and school. It was just bad dinner theatre.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

That's how it was on the last survey I did. Who asked you for the 10

It was a waiter we hadn't had the nights before. Other than that one waiter that we had only one night, no one else asked.

14 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Being practically begged to give out 10's does.  What use is a survey when you're being told how to respond rather than giving your honest opinion.

This is how I feel as well. A number of years ago, I had a service writer at a car dealer tell me "you're going to get a survey, if you think you can't give me 5 stars on it, you let me know and we'll get you there."

Sorry, you already had your chance at a perfect score. If you think you have to do more only under threat of a less-than-perfect review, you've failed.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Seriously,  I haven't been asked for a 10 in over a year. I have been asked to fill out the survey.

It's been a couple of years for me also.  I think the survey question had a lot to do with it, guessing most of them know that survey is out there.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

I find this behavior objectionable and glad I did not see it on Norwegian.  I also could not have given a 10 except for one dining experience on my last few cruises. Dining rooms and specialty rated 7-8 at best. On Norwegian, slow and inattentive service was the biggest issue, failure to refill water and soda, hot food served lukewarm or cold drops, and serving the entree 2 minutes after the appetizer was another common issue. I sailed on Norwegian each of the last 4 years so I am keen to compare RCCL in June on Anthem.  Hoping for better but not expecting it 🙂 

it was night and day.... When we sailed on the Getaway in December, the food was horrible, and MDR service - even worse. We were shocked in a very positive way when the food on the Allure was good, and the MDR service was impeccable and super speedy. 

2+ hours on NCL vs under an hour for a dinner on the Allure. Yes, the survey was mentioned a couple of times in MDR on the Allure, but I think it's because they truly want to improve their service. I gave them a 10/10 - we were very happy with Allure's staff.

12 hours ago, Coralc said:

On Norwegian, slow and inattentive service was the biggest issue, failure to refill water and soda, hot food served lukewarm or cold drops, and serving the entree 2 minutes after the appetizer was another common issue.

Our problem on the Getaway was getting an entree about 20 minutes after we were done with the appetizers. We never had the entree brought out 2 minutes after the appetizer.

TBH; most of the food and service was good to very good (see separate dining review of just the food).  I also understand not all cruisers are aware they will receive a survey.  But you just don't need to be asking me for specific ratings.  Asking me to rate something perfect, if it is not perfect, means you are asking me to do a disservice to myself in the future should I choose to repeat the experience.  It is unfortunate that things like quality of food is tied to quality of service, but that is how it is setup and that is why we probably got the speech so much; we didn't dine in same place consecutively any evening.  

Encouraging views on RCCL MDR... I am more hopeful Anthem will outperform Breakway now!

A survey should be "successful" when all my expectations are met.

It should be viewed as "exceptional" where my expectations are exceeded.

My expectations should be realistic for the class of service I am receiving and have paid for.

Any place I rate it below or above expectations should allow me to explain.

Surveys should have 3-5 choices of ratings, not 10.  10 choices mean a numbers game is in progress and people are people measured excessively on the survey.

I agree with the people that don't like the 10 discussion or request from some of the crew. I have never seen it or had it, guess I'm lucky.  I do know that the workers are asked/made to do things that are unpleasant for them as well as the cruisers.  I have also seen abuse from cruisers toward workers, I have seen the same from higher ups toward lower workers.  I do not tolerate that when I see it, I have nothing to say to the cruiser or anything to do with them, but I do go to the worker, apologize for what happened and tell him he should not have to put up with it, I do know that is part of their job, to just take it.  I also inform a higher up about how professional t worker  was with the encounter.  If it is a higher up that does it I do go and deal with him myself.  I do watch closely for retaliation toward the worker,  Enough said

These survey suggestions for 10's are above and beyond deeply annoying. Just let us enjoy the meals we paid for. Besides, we are routinely pummeled to death practically in our day to day lives about surveys. If I get disrupted to do a survey, better believe it I'll give negative opinions. There was a study done that showed how surveys are beginning to hold negative results because customers are just getting sick and tired of being asked to do surveys.

• Like 1

Truth be told I wish all companies would do away with surveys. They should take the time and money it takes to pay the staff or outside agency who conducts and calculates the scores and put it towards more staff to actually provide customer service. Once I was in a department store and the cashier asked me to take an on the spot survey. I had already waited in line 20 minutes because there wasn't enough help. I said, "Do you really want me to take a survey"? The store is completely under staffed and I would only be holding up the already long line. If I thought it would make a difference on my next visit perhaps I would have done it. These surveys are nothing but lip service because nothing ever changes. My only conclusion can be that everyone is giving 10's for poor service and food quality.

• Like 3