Do you think Carnival will remove La Romana, Domenican Republic as a port?

mbuckles071

6 minutes ago, mbuckles071 said:

Just curious, Does Carnival remove ports from existing itineraries? Im a little uneasy over recent news. Our cruise on the Horizon stops there during our cruise on July 27th.

Hi

The short answer would be "no". They would have to feel that there was a specific continued threat to consider changing itinerary. 

If you are referring to recent "murders" at a resort, that wouldn't be considered a threat for cruise passengers. If the thought of a city that has crime is what would deter you, then you would find it hard to find a safe departure city. If you really feel it too dangerous, you could always remain on the ship.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

• Like 2

Not only murders, there was also a woman sexually and physically attacked at a resort.  I think you are relativity safe at Amber Cover.  My BIL and SIL went to Punta Cana a couple of years ago and were warned by the resort staff to stay on the grounds and not to venture off.  

18 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Not only murders, there was also a woman sexually and physically attacked at a resort.  I think you are relativity safe at Amber Cover.  My BIL and SIL went to Punta Cana a couple of years ago and were warned by the resort staff to stay on the grounds and not to venture off.  

Hi

It's a beautiful island. There is much to see and do. If you choose to stay in a resort or gated port area, then the fences are just keeping you in. The question would then be, why bother going?

23 minutes ago, coevan said:

La Romana and Puerto Plata are on opposite side of the island. I don't see how this is related, it was a year ago.  

I believe the OP is referring to the 3 American tourists found dead within a few days of each other in resorts in La Romana. This is very recent and all over the news.

• Like 1

Carnival rarely ports at LaRomana anyway.

What they might do is re-enforce the idea of lack of safety on the island so that their cookie cutter safe haven port of Amber Cove will be viewed positively.  You know, scare the folks who have no idea and rake in the bucks from their self built port corral.

Same idea as when they scare folks from shopping in any non sponsored store and boost the stores that kick back to Carnival or pay a fee for promotion.

Edited by evandbob

Carnival calls on LaRomana and Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), two completely different ports. LaRomana is a horrible port which should be removed, we did not exit the ship at that armpit of DR! Had friends that took an excursion and were almost lured into a scary situation while on a boat tour. The thugs dressed like the tour operators and tried to get them to take a wrong turn, which could have gotten ugly fast! Heard too many bad things about LaRomana, and will try to avoid at all costs, but as long as Carnival is making $$, they will continue to go. 

11 hours ago, mbuckles071 said:

Just curious, Does Carnival remove ports from existing itineraries? Im a little uneasy over recent news. Our cruise on the Horizon stops there during our cruise on July 27th.

Yes, they do remove ports from existing itineraries.  Carnival use to stop at St. Croix and they stopped going there because of the crime.  They may have added it back again but I haven't seen any mention of it on here in quite a while.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisinpips said:

LaRomana is a horrible port which should be removed, we did not exit the ship at that armpit of DR!

You didn’t exit the ship, but you gained enough expertise to call this port “horrible”and “the armpit of the DR”?

With all due respect, I differ from your assessment. The city of La Romana per se (which is where the ships dock) is indeed not attractive. And for the cruiser who feels uneasy unless they see pretty welcome centers or Americanized chain stores, it can look and feel scary and even dangerous. 

BUT, La Romana, and this area of the Dominican Republic, are filled with wonderful and unique attractions. I had the pleasure of spending a few days in the area for my honeymoon and we went from horseback riding at Casa de Campo, to exploring the artist village at Altos de Chavon, to spending an absolutely fabulous day at Isla Saona with breathtaking beaches. We also spent one afternoon meandering the streets of La Romana. As I said before, it doesn’t have an attractive downtown set up for tourists, but it’s filled with little shops where you can search for locally made items, at very affordable prices. And the people are absolutely genuine and wonderfully friendly. 

La Romana is an example of what Caribbean cruising USED to be like before the cruise lines started building fake ports of call and overly-Americanizing others, conditioning tourists to feel scared and unsafe at anything that looks like the real Caribbean. It’s an absolute shame because very few cruisers these days get to experience what these ports of call are truly about. 

As a side note, and concerning the news reports about the deaths in “La Romana”, the resort in question is at El Soco, a small town close to San Pedro de Macorís, an hour away. It would be like saying “death at a Disney Resort” but it really happened in Cocoa Beach. But as usual, the media needs to sensationalize what’s going on rather than let the facts speak for themselves. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, coevan said:

- an isolated incident, possibly related to bug spray. 

Most people don't realize that bug sprays are nerve agents!

If you must spray the whole room, LEAVE IT for 15 mins

and then return cautiously. Open a window for awhile.

I would agree that La Romana is not an attractive and confusing  port.  The beauty is beyond the pier.

i remember our honeymoon cruise on the Mexican riviera over 30 years ago and being dropped off in Puerto Vallarta directly into a sea of hundreds of begging children.  It was crazy and eye opening

#Tropicale

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

13 hours ago, cruisinpips said:

Carnival calls on LaRomana and Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), two completely different ports. LaRomana is a horrible port which should be removed, we did not exit the ship at that armpit of DR! Had friends that took an excursion and were almost lured into a scary situation while on a boat tour. The thugs dressed like the tour operators and tried to get them to take a wrong turn, which could have gotten ugly fast! Heard too many bad things about LaRomana, and will try to avoid at all costs, but as long as Carnival is making $$, they will continue to go. 

IMO, Amber Cove is the worst port that Carnival has.  I stayed in the nearest town of Puerto Plata - it has 2 star hotels and a beach worse than Coney Island.  The ugly gray Atlantic Ocean in beachless Amber Cove in no way approaches the Caribbean aqua blue water of most island beaches.  

We were on the Horizon and I stayed on the ship and enjoyed the skyride while porting in Amber Cove.

Meanwhile, we stayed at LaRomana Dreams Hotel several years ago.  This hotel was newly built back then, very close to the LaRomana airport, and probably 1/2 hr or so from the seaport.  Very laid back area, quite relaxing, Caribbean authentic rather than Carnival Disneyesque.

IMO, just staying in the immediate cruise port rarely gives one a true sense of what that area is all about.  

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

Do I think they will on their own and/or is there any reason to? No

Do I think there's a change it could change? Depends. If public perception really gets bad, then it could happen. Perceptions always win over facts

We have been on two cruises that stopped in LaRomana and there is not much to see or do at the port.  You have to book an excursion (some are very expensive) to get away from the ugly port area.  After the second call at this port, we never book a cruise that stops in LaRomana.  We also never book a cruise that stops in Nassau.  I'd rather have extra sea days than stop at these two ports.  I know there are nice places to visit in the Dominican Republic but none of them are close to this port.

5 hours ago, Tapi said:

You didn’t exit the ship, but you gained enough expertise to call this port “horrible”and “the armpit of the DR”?

With all due respect, I differ from your assessment. The city of La Romana per se (which is where the ships dock) is indeed not attractive. And for the cruiser who feels uneasy unless they see pretty welcome centers or Americanized chain stores, it can look and feel scary and even dangerous. 

BUT, La Romana, and this area of the Dominican Republic, are filled with wonderful and unique attractions. I had the pleasure of spending a few days in the area for my honeymoon and we went from horseback riding at Casa de Campo, to exploring the artist village at Altos de Chavon, to spending an absolutely fabulous day at Isla Saona with breathtaking beaches. We also spent one afternoon meandering the streets of La Romana. As I said before, it doesn’t have an attractive downtown set up for tourists, but it’s filled with little shops where you can search for locally made items, at very affordable prices. And the people are absolutely genuine and wonderfully friendly. 

La Romana is an example of what Caribbean cruising USED to be like before the cruise lines started building fake ports of call and overly-Americanizing others, conditioning tourists to feel scared and unsafe at anything that looks like the real Caribbean. It’s an absolute shame because very few cruisers these days get to experience what these ports of call are truly about. 

As a side note, and concerning the news reports about the deaths in “La Romana”, the resort in question is at El Soco, a small town close to San Pedro de Macorís, an hour away. It would be like saying “death at a Disney Resort” but it really happened in Cocoa Beach. But as usual, the media needs to sensationalize what’s going on rather than let the facts speak for themselves. 

You make it seem like wanting to be safe on vacation is a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with the cruiseline built ports. They took a look around at what people want on vacation and took advantage of it. Just look at all of the all inclusive resort options in the Caribbean. What do American tourists do when they fly there directly? They go to a resort, sit by a pool or on the beach and drink cocktails. They don't generally go out to explore what the island has, or doesn't have, to offer. They want to relax and feel safe. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Doggielover68 said:

You make it seem like wanting to be safe on vacation is a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with the cruiseline built ports. They took a look around at what people want on vacation and took advantage of it. Just look at all of the all inclusive resort options in the Caribbean. What do American tourists do when they fly there directly? They go to a resort, sit by a pool or on the beach and drink cocktails. They don't generally go out to explore what the island has, or doesn't have, to offer. They want to relax and feel safe. 

I’m not making it sound like wanting to be safe is a bad thing. What I’m making it sound like is that many US cruisers do get uneasy and spooked, and unjustly feel unsafe and in danger, unless the place they are visiting has pretty welcome centers with chain stores. Maybe it’s because I started cruising when Margaritaville’s didn’t dominate the landscape at Caribbean ports, but I’d much rather visit places that don’t have this, or any other type of chain establishment, that heavily cater to American tourists. If I want a fake Caribbean scene, I can drive downtown in the city where I live and eat at the local Bahama Breeze.  

But you’re right. The cruise lines have responded to what cruisers want by creating these cruise line built ports, and like you said, many of them do flock to these places to sit by the pool and drink cocktails. Not only are these ports a response to that demand, but they are also needed to accommodate the ever-growing ships that can no longer call at smaller ports of call. Good for them.

But for people who want something a bit more genuine, then there are ports like La Romana. And it’s becoming increasingly harder to find itineraries that include ports like this one unless one goes with luxury or small ship cruise lines.

I applaud Carnival for still offering this, and other similar ports of call, to cruisers who do care for them. La Romana only appears in a very small percentage of Caribbean itineraries departing from the US to address that small sliver of its cruising demographic, so I don’t think that it should be completely eliminated, like the previous poster said, simply because it doesn’t meet their expectations. 

I understand that La Romana isn’t something that many main stream US cruisers would enjoy, but to call it “Horrible” or “the armpit of the DR” is, in my humble opinion, shortsighted. In comparison, other non-US cruise lines not only call on La Romana much more frequently, but they also use it as an embarkation port. That to me is an indication that it’s not such a horrible destination.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, mbuckles071 said:

Miami has one of the highest crime rates in the country. Do you think Carnival should stop cruising from there? Are you nervous about going on Horizon, which sails from Miami?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I’m not making it sound like wanting to be safe is a bad thing. What I’m making it sound like is that many US cruisers do get uneasy and spooked, and unjustly feel unsafe and in danger, unless the place they are visiting has pretty welcome centers with chain stores. Maybe it’s because I started cruising when Margaritaville’s didn’t dominate the landscape at Caribbean ports, but I’d much rather visit places that don’t have this, or any other type of chain establishment, that heavily cater to American tourists. If I want a fake Caribbean scene, I can drive downtown in the city where I live and eat at the local Bahama Breeze.  

Have you ever thought that the locals on the islands might actually like the chain stores? Not only do they provide employment, but the locals can enjoy restaurants just as much as tourists. For the same reason, you can go to Asia and find McDonalds and Starbucks on every corner. I'm not even talking about popular tourist destinations here. I was in Taiwan a few months ago which has very few American tourists, and they have McDonalds, Starbucks, Subway, etc. 

Chain stores do not make people feel safe. There is Dunkin Donuts in Nassau and it didn't make me feel any less uncomfortable when I was screamed at by a local for refusing to try on a homemade necklace while I was walking down the sidewalk. The Caribbean, while pretty, has so many areas where tourists are targets and thanks to the media, people are aware of that now. It's easier to feel safe (decades ago) when the news wasn't in your face 24/7.

9 hours ago, Tapi said:

Thank you. I don't know why people would travel to another country just to walk around a Cariloha store and Diamonds International, then go sit at a pool that the cruise ship built. If you don't like the Dominican Republic, don't book a cruise to the Dominican Republic

• Like 4

19 hours ago, evandbob said:

Same idea as when they scare folks from shopping in any non sponsored store and boost the stores that kick back to Carnival or pay a fee for promotion.

Are you referring to the shopping talk, or whatever they call it? My wife went to one once. I didn't go, but they eventually replayed it on TV throughout the cruise and I'd watch some of it if I was sitting around our cabin. It didn't seem to me like they were trying to scare anyway away at all. Yeah, maybe they wanted passengers to shop at stores they've made deals with, maybe it was because they get kickbacks (I don't know), but if you don't go to one of those talks, I've seen nothing else from Carnival that suggests, "Here's where you should & shouldn't shop." As a matter of fact, one of the biggest reasons they were encouraging passengers to shop at one of those partnered stores was because it made returns/refunds much easier. After all, we're buying products in a foreign nation. It's not like we can walk back into the store to return something. But those stores that Carnival partnered with made that process much easier if necessary.

You mentioned Amber Cove being your least favorite port. It just goes to show you that opinions vary. We visited Amber Cove last year for the first time and it turned out to be our favorite port. We rode the cable car to the top of Mt. Isabel de Torres and had a fantastic time up there. Great views, a very nice hike around the gardens and through the jungle, as well as several locals who have their small shops set up, where we got some nice souvenirs. Granted, there's nothing to do in the immediate port area, besides the shopping and pool complex, but even that's a nice area, and I'm not a sit-around-the-pool type of guy. But take Grand Turk, for example. A great little island with great beaches. Small enough to explore the island fairly easily. Yet hundreds of people get off the ship and go straight to Margaritavile and sit around the pool. So it's obvious that man-made complex at Amber Cove satisfies a heck of a lot of cruisers. I can't knock the company for doing it. For those who don't want to leave the port, they can spend time shopping or at the pool area. But there's always the option to leave the area and go on an excursion of some kind.

19 hours ago, cruisinpips said:

Heard too many bad things about LaRomana, and will try to avoid at all costs, but as long as Carnival is making $$, they will continue to go. 

If Carnival ever determines that a port of call is actually a real threat to the safety of their passengers, they won't continue to go just for the money.

Edited by Organized Chaos