Which ship for a Panama Canal cruise?

phillies fan

I'm giving thought to taking a 10 day cruise of the Panama Canal this upcoming year.   The choices seem to be the Island Princess (older, smaller ship; transits the historical locks) or and Caribbean Princess (newer and larger ship, transits the new locks).

Anything anyone could offer to help in this decision would be appreciated.

I just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Coral Princess which I greatly enjoyed.   I understand the Island Princess was a sister ship, but has been modified to add additional cabins at the cost of the aft lounge.

Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.

They may hold less passengers and be narrower/lighter than Grand class ships but the Island/Coral are longer.

We have sailed both the Island/Coral many times. 

We have sailed the Island after the refit and will only sail her now as a last resort.

I would pick the Caribbean Princess unless you can swing the 15 day full transit on the Coral.

The Island will go through the old locks. The Caribbean through the new ones. For the actual locks the old locks are more interesting. But, the Caribbean is the nicer ship with more venues, including Club Fusion, Skywalker's, International Cafe, Salty Dog Grill, Coffee & Cones, Planks & Steamers, Vines. The Caribbean also is a full medallion ship. I would select the Caribbean.

Yes, the entire aft end of the Island was modified, eliminating the Universe lounge, the 360 degree promenade, and moving the fitness center, youth center and sanctuary around. About 200 additional passengers were added. No first hand information but I wounder how they all fit in the DR's.

• Like 1

It really depends on why you are going. I agree that the Caribbean is a nicer ship with more to do on the ship. However, the historical locks are a very interesting part of history. In my opinion, they are much more interesting than the new locks. If your main interest in this itinerary is to see the canal, then I would recommend the Island and the old locks. You don't get the same feel going through the new locks.

40 minutes ago, medsed said:

Does any one have an opinion on the Emerald.  I was looking at a full transit in 2021

Similar to the Caribbean, but has additional venues including a larger Wheelhouse Bar with the Salty Dog Gastropub and the really nice Adagio Lounge. The Emerald also has SHARE instead of Sabatini's. A full transit is a great choice. Fuerte Amador is a nice stop which allows you some nice tour options.

Edited by skynight

We did the Caribbean through the old locks a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the cruise. Caribbean is my favorite ship. We have sailed on Emerald several times, and she is nice too. Nice to have choices and so much fun anticipating.

35 minutes ago, tillys mom said:

We did the Caribbean through the old locks a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the cruise. Caribbean is my favorite ship. We have sailed on Emerald several times, and she is nice too. Nice to have choices and so much fun anticipating.

I don't think so.  That ship doesn't fit in the old locks.

• Like 1

I would do the Island to go through the "old" locks. I would also make two additional suggestions, read David McCullough's book "The Path Between The Seas" about the construction of the locks. It is fascinating. Also, I would be at the very front of the ship as she approaches the first set of locks. Two men in a row boat come out to attach the ropes/chains for the electric mules. This is also fascinating.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, katisdale said:

I would do the Island to go through the "old" locks. I would also make two additional suggestions, read David McCullough's book "The Path Between The Seas" about the construction of the locks. It is fascinating. Also, I would be at the very front of the ship as she approaches the first set of locks. Two men in a row boat come out to attach the ropes/chains for the electric mules. This is also fascinating.

Agreed. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, katisdale said:

Exactly this!  We cruised through the old locks on the Coral last year and found them to be very interesting.  We were on one of the forward observation decks as we entered the canal.  We loved watching the “mules” on either side of the ship.  Finally, I also read Mc Cullough’s book before the cruise.  It helped me to appreciate the experience even more.    We were fortunate to be on the Coral.  Ordinarily we would never want to sail on the Island, but the fact that the Island does the old locks would sway our vote to her given the two choices that you have.  It’s too bad that the Coral isn’t an option.

6 hours ago, Coral said:

I think it did a partial transit. Not the entire way.

7 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I don't think so.  That ship doesn't fit in the old locks.

Only the Island and the Coral are Panamax ships.  The Caribbean Princess was/is too wide to fit through the "historic" locks.  No way could you have been on the Caribbean Princess transiting the old locks.

OP is asking about "historic" verses new.  You will find many who recommend the Coral Princess and a full transit.  If you can swing the extra days, it will well worth the time.  I've done both and was rather underwhelmed by the new locks.  Ho-Hum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Only the Island and the Coral are Panamax ships.  The Caribbean Princess was/is too wide to fit through the "historic" locks.  No way could you have been on the Caribbean Princess transiting the old locks.

OP is asking about "historic" verses new.  You will find many who recommend the Coral Princess and a full transit.  If you can swing the extra days, it will well worth the time.  I've done both and was rather underwhelmed by the new locks.  Ho-Hum.

I realize that. I thought Princess put some Grand Class ships that did RT FLL that went to that area and allowed people do excursions but didn't go through the locks due to size. I can't quickly find anything to back this up and since I would not do a Panama Canal cruise - I wasn't paying too much attention.

13 hours ago, medsed said:

Does any one have an opinion on the Emerald.  I was looking at a full transit in 2021

We have been on the Emerald several times and enjoyed the ship. We have booked a b2b canal trip for 2021. We go FLL to San Diego to FLL starting in later February.

40 minutes ago, Coral said:

I realize that. I thought Princess put some Grand Class ships that did RT FLL that went to that area and allowed people do excursions but didn't go through the locks due to size. I can't quickly find anything to back this up and since I would not do a Panama Canal cruise - I wasn't paying too much attention.

Yes, Princess did have some itineraries that stopped at Colon and then offered tours. Long been discontinued.

42 minutes ago, Coral said:

I want to say Princess did this also. They were not that popular because they were very limited.

25 minutes ago, voljeep said:

:classic_wacko:

Turned out I was right - they did offer "Panama Canal trips" on Grand class that did stop at Colon for tours years ago. They were RT out of FLL and were advertised as Panama Canal. I thought they were pathetic and others probably did so as they stopped selling them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love the Emerald. Booked for a TA in November. Loved the old locks. Have done them twice - both times on Coral and both times in the same cabin. The first time was a 17 day SF to FLL full transit. The second was a 19 day partial that went in the Pacific side as far as the lake, spent the night in the lake, and then went back out the same way. That partial is vastly more of the canal than the old one that went from FLL to the lake and back. I'll likely do the new locks some day for the experience but wouldn't expect them to be anywhere near as interesting as the old locks.

On 6/23/2019 at 4:28 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

We have sailed the Island after the refit and will only sail her now as a last resort.

Colo Cruiser--

Will you please expound upon this a little more?  I am curious what your impressions/experience were that would make you feel that way.  I have not been on the Island Princess yet but have sailed the Coral Princess.  I'd like to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

Colo Cruiser--

Will you please expound upon this a little more?  I am curious what your impressions/experience were that would make you feel that way.  I have not been on the Island Princess yet but have sailed the Coral Princess.  I'd like to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

The removal of the 2 deck high Universe Lounge. The addition of more than 150 cabins. The removal of 1/3rd of the Promenade deck. 300 plus additional  passengers and no additional dining or entertainment venues added. Every time we have sailed her since the refit there have been DR  lines for anytime stretched around the atrium from 5 to 9pm. 

There are those that don’t find that issue and are happy with her and the updates.