What’s the rudest thing you’ve ever had done to you on a cruise?

erdoran

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Not really something rude "done to you".  Smoking, while disgusting, is allowed onboard ships.

Evidently you disagree with me.  Farting and burping in public are also allowed, but it would be rude to do so.  I believe that doing so is ill mannered.  As far as I am concerned smoking is rude and ill mannered.  Just because something is allowed does not mean that it is socially acceptable.  Okay, I gave my opinion twice now and if you choose to disagree with me that is fine.  It would be rude of me to continue this discussion any further.:classic_rolleyes:

On 8/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, coriemarie said:

I am now wondering where those with service animals are supposed to take their dogs to relieve themselves? A cruise ship seems like a horrible place for a pup.

cruise ships have a special place set up for relief. If you want to know, there is a huge thread on travel with service dogs in the Disability Cruising section.

5 hours ago, dkjretired said:

There are some posts about people in electric wheel chairs being rude at times and this is absolutely true.   I have in the past couple of years had to use one of them at different stores on occasion and I can assure you that for every story about rudeness with the chairs I can tell you stories about people being rude around the chairs.   Worst are parents who don't control their kids but many adults are just as bad.  

The one that amazes me, and at times causes me great pain, is how many people think my wheelchair is handy to lean on or put there foot up on.

2 hours ago, JimCroce said:

The rudest and it happens all the time during excursions when the tour guide is talking fellow passengers chatter loud and continuously, this is most evident on North American and Caribbean cruises.  

Yes, this!  Aggravating!  Then I wonder if *I* would be equally rude by shussing them?  

2 hours ago, JimCroce said:

The rudest and it happens all the time during excursions when the tour guide is talking fellow passengers chatter loud and continuously, this is most evident on North American and Caribbean cruises.  

Same on the ship when there is an announcement being made, and everyone just seems to talk louder.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

The one that amazes me, and at times causes me great pain, is how many people think my wheelchair is handy to lean on or put there foot up on.

That's terrible! It must be really annoying that they're so brainless.

7 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Worst thing is sometimes family and friends do it, I guess people don’t think, but when a stranger does it, nit only can it cause excruciating pain, but it is an invasion of your personal space.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

The other thing related to the wheel chairs and actually in many cases just walking is people on their cell phones.   

On our last cruise we got up very, very early to be downstairs and in line by 5:45am to do self assist off the ship.  At that time there were only about 10 people ahead of us.  While standing there a couple of people joined others at the front of the line and we thought they probably went to restroom, etc and were joining their party so we paid no attention.

A few minutes later the elevator opened and about 10 people joined the people ahead of us.  We were about to come unglued when another elevator opened and at least 10-15 more joined them!!!  So now there are at least 20-25 people who went to the front of the line!!

A lady who was standing behind them lost it.  She explained to them if they wanted to be all together they better get to the back of the line because they sure as heck wasn’t staying there!!!  

All the ones who broke in line then had to do the “walk of shame” to the end of the line.  It was priceless!!

• Like 5

On 8/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, coriemarie said:

I am now wondering where those with service animals are supposed to take their dogs to relieve themselves? A cruise ship seems like a horrible place for a pup.

There will be at least one designated area with artificial grass, mulch, sand, gravel, etc., set up for the service animal's needs. 

I accompanied a blind passenger and his leader dog to the area on a Royal ship once, so we could continue our conversation.  It was tucked out of the way on the outdoor Promenade deck, with a container of baggies and a trash receptacle for solid waste. 

If I hadn't gone there with someone for that specific purpose, I never would have known it was there.  No smell, no mess.  Airports have similar relief stations available.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

I was in line for a restaurant a few years ago. I am 5 foot 6 and at the time weighed 145 pounds. I remarked to

my husband that I hoped we would be seated soon because I was starving. A man in front of me said "that's funny

you don't look like you are starving"....Yes I know I technically was not starving but I thought that was extremely rude

of him to insult me.

Did you or your husband respond? 

21 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

I was in line for a restaurant a few years ago. I am 5 foot 6 and at the time weighed 145 pounds. I remarked to

my husband that I hoped we would be seated soon because I was starving. A man in front of me said "that's funny

you don't look like you are starving"....Yes I know I technically was not starving but I thought that was extremely rude

of him to insult me.

I probably would have said to him "and it doesn't look like your plastic surgery worked, you are as ugly as ever".  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just go to the Windjammer on a Royal ship and you will see rude behavior almost instantly. It's as if people have never seen food before. This is why I avoid it now. You couldn't pay me to go there on embarkation day.

55 minutes ago, m*u*g* said:

Just go to the Windjammer on a Royal ship and you will see rude behavior almost instantly. It's as if people have never seen food before. This is why I avoid it now. You couldn't pay me to go there on embarkation day.

Agree with that! Any buffet on any ship is not where I want to be on embarkation day.

Worst thing that happened to me was on a really rocky tender journey back to the ship and someone on the tender had taken ill and a doctor had to come onboard so everyone was asked to remain seated.  As soon as we got close to the ship it was a lot of the men on the tender who just rushed forward to get off and the man sitting  beside me pretty much trampled over the top of me. The poor doctor couldn’t get on because of these rude people. I had never seen anything like it before.  We were all terrified as it had been the most horrendous journey and most people were still letting the GP on but so many men just wanted off and didn’t care about anyone else.  It was very sad to see.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Saving more than one seat for a theater or comedy show is very rude.  On my last cruise, I watched a comedy show with my husband.  When it ended, there was an announcement that if people wanted to stay for the next show they did not have to leave the room and return.  I saw better seats, so my husband and I sat down at the same time a lady sat down two seats away.  She quickly said that she was saving three additional seats, two of which were now occupied by me and my husband.  So, we moved back to our original seats.

The lady then got up and walked away.  We waited for about five minutes and noticed that the lady was nowhere to be seen, so we assumed she left.  There were no personal items on the chairs saving them, so we moved to two of those seats.  She came back about a minute later and said that she was still saving the seats.  So, we moved again.  That's the first time I have ever seen someone save seats, wander around, then come back and reclaim seats that had no personal items on them.  Some people are very selfish and only think about themselves and not how their behavior is rude to others, especially to groups who have the decency to arrive together for a show and not send someone up 1/2 hour ahead of time to save a bunch of seats.

Why did you move.  You can't save seats and you especially can't save seats that you are not sitting in.

DON

• Like 5

22 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Good for United, in the US Justice Department bulletin that I gave a link to in an earlier post, the Justice DEpt. states the only legitimate service animals are dogs and in some cases miniature horses. 

After I retired I was working in a supermarket and a woman came in with a "service Parakeet"   perched on her shoulder.   I asked the store manager and he told me it helped her with balance issues.    He obviously didn't know the rules on service animals, just thought he had to let her in the store.   

I always say that I plan to bring in my very large service snake especially as I like and am not afraid of snakes and most people are terrified of them.  It would be a hoot.

DON

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Why did you move.  You can't save seats and you especially can't save seats that you are not sitting in.

DON

In my mind, I debated moving and not moving.  I decided that it's just a comedy show and it's not worth arguing about.  I go to the shows to relax and have fun.  If people are rude, I would prefer not to have any contact with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I always say that I plan to bring in my very large service snake especially as I like and am not afraid of snakes and most people are terrified of them.  It would be a hoot.

DON

Hopefully not on the same cruise I bring my emotional support mongoose.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Yes and made worse by rude people for another reason. Last two cruise we saw numerous people finish eating and then playing cards until rooms were cleared. Many people unable to find seats to actually eat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

We tend to ignore bullies so we stared straight ahead and didn't give him the satisfaction of a

reply. 

I admire your restraint.  Had someone made that remark to my wife it would have very quickly gotten very ugly. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:05 PM, Peachypooh said:

of him to insult me.

Lucky for him your husband wasn't close to a Lemon meringue Pie! I could see that clod wearing it now!

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:55 PM, julie3fan said:

Yes, this!  Aggravating!  Then I wonder if *I* would be equally rude by shussing them?  

I certainly don't hesitate to do it. Turning the cheek is nice, but after a while, the calluses start to hurt!

• Like 2