Pre-purchasing Appetizers/hors d'oeuvres

Coffeeluvr05

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

No pix.

We received hors d'oeuvres form our TA on one of our cruises. One word: YUCK.

We were not impressed. The whole thing went into the trash.

Same here - I let our TA know that while we appreciated the gesture, she didn't need to do that again 🙂

• Like 2

I can report that the noshes that are provided from Room Service vary, somewhat, from ship to ship.  Here are the raw vegetables that we ordered on the Grand Princess a couple years, ago

1353573732_DomonBalcony.thumb.jpg.75d5ee13d7be0efa7c57f27823e6521c.jpg

On other ships we have been given a slightly bigger platter of vegies instead of the bowl shown here.

Cheese platter and vegie platter on the Ruby Princess last year

IMG_3987.jpg.bb1035cf9cb5371bab806f9b87872d1a.jpg

Again, I've seen slightly different presentations.  BTW, those are dried apricots at the southwest edge of the cheese platter.

I have ordered the Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, but I don't have any pics.  They are nice sized--each one is two or three bites--and they are pretty.

There is a lot of ire here on Cruise Critic about the canapes, but I do not get it.  I have ordered the canapes, I have had them with the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and I have had them in those wine tastings that they offers in the dining room in the afternoon on some sea days.  They are bite-size noshes--pate, whipped cheese, shrimp, cured meats--on little pieces of bread.  There is a pretty current thread on the Ultimate Balcony Dinner in which somebody has posted pictures--including some canapes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

The Deluxe canapés you can order appear to be like the free elite benefit for deluxe canapés delivered on formal nights & I would never pay for their canapés.

I would never eat the canapés :) 

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

I would never eat the canapés 🙂

They previously would deliver 8 chocolate covered strawberries when requesting them instead of the elite canapés options.  That hasn’t happened recently but we did enjoy the 8 pieces of freshly made chocolates they delivered.

The canapés with the UBD,  Maître d’ wine tasting & at the MTP cocktail events were much better.

21 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

They previously would deliver 8 chocolate covered strawberries when requesting them instead of the elite canapés options.  That hasn’t happened recently but we did enjoy the 8 pieces of freshly made chocolates they delivered.

The canapés with the UBD,  Maître d’ wine tasting & at the MTP cocktail events were much better.

I used to like those and the cream puffs - and they are both gone. The only 2 things that were edible on the Elite menu.

5 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

You can go up to the buffet and make your own plate of cheese and crackers, and fruit, and take them back to your cabin.  

And they often have guacamole, salsa & chips at the buffet. 🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, POF1234 said:

anyone order the strawberries or the chips and salsa.   I'm thinking about that for sail away

We have ordered the shrimp and the chocolate covered strawberries to go with our champagne at sailaway: lovely!!😀

18 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

And they often have guacamole, salsa & chips at the buffet. 🙂

26 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

You can go up to the buffet and make your own plate of cheese and crackers, and fruit, and take them back to your cabin.  

We typically go to the buffet and make a platter of all of these things for sail away at every port.  Super easy, free, and you can get as much/whatever you want! 🙂 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 6:41 PM, Paula_MacFan said:

We typically go to the buffet and make a platter of all of these things for sail away at every port.  Super easy, free, and you can get as much/whatever you want! 🙂 

And cake and more cake and puddings...

3 hours ago, POF1234 said:

When you grab goodies form the buffet ( or maybe IC ) to take back to cabin for sail away - how do you carry them ? Just on a plate ? 

Yes just on a plate or two. Leave the empty plate in the cabin were the steward can see it or take it back to the buffet.

We've done it a few times. The idea of it is far better than the actual canapes.  I do wish they were better. 

Love the strawberries, and think they are the best thing to pre-order. The cheese tray is nice, but you can do it yourself from Horizon. The shrimp is good but again, you can get it in Horizon. The guacamole is gross. You can request avocado from the dining room but I've never tried asking for tortilla chips.