Captain's Club Celebration at 5:30 pm on embarkation Day

C 2 C

According to friends on board right now, the Captain's Club Celebration on the Equinox is at 5:30 PM on embarkation day! Early seating in the MDR is at 5:45, fixed dining starts at 5:30 pm.

I know what my reaction is to this new scheduling and where I will be at 5:30pm in February but what are your opinions?

They did that on edge last December. It was a real mess. I thought I had read that subsequent Cruises on that ship didn’t repeat that problem.  Have your friends indicated that there’s a special reason for having it then? Is there something unusual about the itinerary? They do try to schedule it early in the cruise, but perhaps there are no Sea days at the beginning of the cruise? Here’s another question,  are there any large groups aboard who have tied up the public areas for private events?  I sure hope that’s a one-off!

Edge January sailing had the Captain's Club Celebration on embarkation day also.  I believe it was at 5:30 pm (or around that time).  On Summit June sailing the Captain's Club Celebration was held mid-day on a sea day.  So, I think it varies from ship to ship.

Edited by jcpc

We skipped the party on EDGE...very poor timing, esp on Sailaway Day.  Too much going on. 

The Sr Officers party was held  at a better time and day,  but seems the whole ship was invited.  Nice event ruined by over-crowding!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

IMHO: A really bad idea! Unpacking and long lines for dinner on the first night trumps the celebration that very few might attended, especially if they have drink packages. My conspiracy theory is that this is just another attempt to downgrade the loyalty program. Reported on FB that Zeniths were encouraged to attend, but never recognized. 

This might be the beginning of the end for the Captain's Club Celebration, or it might just be a one off to handle a special situation. Time will tell.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 2

Very poor timing imho

Perhaps thats their plan-- fewer attending...less liquor consumed...

@hcat we enjoy the sr officers party as well. On our last sailing there were different time slots all b2b on one night 

Don't know how busy the other time slots were-- ours was full though we got a seat

@Orator We've never heard/seen the Zeniths acknowledged. Was under the impression from other posts that the Zeniths and Top cruisers have something smaller/special -- like on the Bridge

Edited by Fogfog

Since there would not be Elite drinks on that first night, it is a way for those who wish to have embarkation night toasts to get theirs free at the party

It seems that nomatter when they put it, some one is not happy.  Mid afternoon “that interfere’s with my sunbathing time”.  Between dinner seatings “we eat Select and that intereferes with our dinner” or “we will be in a specialty restaurant then”.  Our least favorite time is embarkation afternoon.  But the others have their issues, too 

Edited by Alakegirl

3 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Very poor timing imho

Perhaps thats their plan-- fewer attending...less liquor consumed...

@hcat we enjoy the sr officers party as well. On our last sailing there were different time slots all b2b on one night 

Don't know how busy the other time slots were-- ours was full though we got a seat

@Orator We've never heard/seen the Zeniths acknowledged. Was under the impression from other posts that the Zeniths and Top cruisers have something smaller/special -- like on the Bridge

They usually mention Zeniths. Several times we've been called up and had a group picture. A Bridge ceremony is used when there is a new Zenith.sometimes there is a lunch in Blu which substitutes for a diviner, but that has been eliminated and replaced on some ships by a luncheon in Blu for top Suite passengers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Fogfog, perhaps there was no Zenith level passenger on your cruise?

There were several... I know of 2 personally

The ship had over 700 Elites and up... a TA

Since the Cap Club events were spread out due to so many-- perhaps the Zeniths all attended a different time slot? Or skipped? idk

15 minutes ago, Orator said:

They usually mention Zeniths. Several times we've been called up and had a group picture. A Bridge ceremony is used when there is a new Zenith.sometimes there is a lunch in Blu which substitutes for a diviner, but that has been eliminated and replaced on some ships by a luncheon in Blu for top Suite passengers.

I'll listen in 2 weeks..doing B2B. 

Will be interesting to see how things are handled on a short sail--6 nights vs the next 10 nights

Edited by Fogfog

7 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Since the Cap Club events were spread out due to so many-- perhaps the Zeniths all attended a different time slot? Or skipped? idk

Will be interesting to see how things are handled on a short sail--6 nights vs the next 10 nights

See you then.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, miched said:

I would think that the Captain, Officers, and staff have  more important business at 5:30 than being at a party on embarkation day.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

When I read the post which started this thread I had the same reaction -- on embarkation day one would think that the officers, stripes and staff are very busy.  Wonder what time the ship sailed.

7 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

When I read the post which started this thread I had the same reaction -- on embarkation day one would think that the officers, stripes and staff are very busy.  Wonder what time the ship sailed.

I believe EDGE sails around 4..have to look back at my folder.

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

It will be interesting to see what happens.  I'm on a B2B starting August 31.  We're scheduled to sail at 3:30 p.m. both times which is quite early.  The first one is eastern 7-night.  The second is western 6-night.

• Like 1