Finally, Latitudes party for Platinums and above

fstuff1

Finally!

In all seriousness, I'm surprised there wasn't one till today just for the higher tiers.

(In all my cruises, I've never seen one and I'm Platinum plus.)

Edit:

I guess with all the double points promo over the summer, there's now enough Platinums to warrent a party?

IMG_20190905_192748635.jpg

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Once upon a time, they used to invite Platinums to to the Haven/Suites Captain’s reception. That hasn’t happen recently. Is is a nice change (vs the general Latitudes party where 3/4 the ship is invited). 

Yes, thats why I avoid the regular Latitudes party because it's nothing special since almost everyone is invited.

Hm.. I like the idea of Platinum plus and above be invited to the Haven Captain's reception. 🙂

• Like 3

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have a free happy hour every night (except the first night on Celebrity).  It beats the Platinum benefits big time.

On our two Royal C. cruises, we did not purchase a single alcoholic drink.  The happy hour runs from 5-8:30 and you can order a glass of wine with dinner (as long as you order prior to 8:30).

46 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have a free happy hour every night (except the first night on Celebrity).  It beats the Platinum benefits big time.

On our two Royal C. cruises, we did not purchase a single alcoholic drink.  The happy hour runs from 5-8:30 and you can order a glass of wine with dinner (as long as you order prior to 8:30).

I have the UBP or whatever it's called now, so how would a happy hour be any sort of benefit, and if you think that it outweighs a free bag of laundry each then you are bonkers.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, erdoran said:

I am Platinum, hubby isn’t.  Do I get to bring a date or is he excluded?

I don't know the official policy on this

-BUT-

I would certainly think that having your husband guest cabin mate tagging along would not be a problem.

It may help if you are in a Suite OS DOS or Haven class cabin.

My cruise in a few days I am P+ and my cabin mate is Gold - I fully intend on having my cabin mate along for

any party - oh and after this cruise my cabin mate will be P.

1 hour ago, BaWBarmy said:

I have the UBP or whatever it's called now, so how would a happy hour be any sort of benefit, and if you think that it outweighs a free bag of laundry each then you are bonkers.

OK, you picked the beverage package as a perk that comes with a overvalued amount of $99 per person per day.  You get to pay 20% gratuities (about $20 per day).   SORRY IT AIN'T FREE

When we decide to go with NCL, we don't pick the overvalued beverage package because of this, and because the Cabernet wine we like is not included in the package.  There is no descent Cab.

We bring our own wine and pay the $15 corkage fee per bottle (on our last NCL cruise, we spent LESS on alcohol than we would picking the beverage package and paying the 20% gratuity).

When we cruise on Royal Caribbean, we don't have to pick a promo at all, because they have cruises priced WITHOUT PROMOS that cause the cruise prices to go up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Isn't there a 3 drink limit during the HH? A bit limited on time and offers really.

Do they offer any specialty dining or even free laundry?

What else?

I am just asking because I do not know RCCL benefits.

Also, we have never found RCCL to be cheaper than NCL even with the perks.

The Platinum party sounds great!

Thanks!!!

Edited by Cruisercl
typo
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

OK, you picked the beverage package as a perk that comes with a overvalued amount of $99 per person per day.  You get to pay 20% gratuities (about $20 per day).   SORRY IT AIN'T FREE

Are you sure he paid 20% gratuities, or are you just assuming he did.  (He being from UK with different rules!).  And an argument about drink prices is not really relevant - he was pointing out that with a drink package the happy hour wasn't going to do him much good!

Edited by podgeandrodge

18 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Isn't there a 3 drink limit during the HH? A bit limited on time and offers really.

What else?

Thanks!!!

I’m Platinum Plus on NCL and Diamond Plus on RCI.  Obviously, I love to cruise and like different lines for different reasons.  I appreciate the loyalty perks from various lines...they are gifts that can be taken away at cruise line’s whim, so you will not hear me whining about anybody’s.  That said, I am willing to share comparative info.

The vast majority of Royal Caribbean ships (save a few old small ones that tend to do short cruises) have “Diamond Lounges.”  Such lounges are available as dedicated hang out spaces for higher level loyalty members (D and above) 24 hr with specialty coffee machines.  In am, there is continental breakfast.  And for 3 hrs each evening, D and above members are served cocktails (limited menu) and hors d’oures; the number of drinks per member is NOT limited in the dedicated lounges.  (I really like the lounges, not just for cocktail hour, as I barely drink)

If the ship lacks the D lounge or if the member wishes to go elsewhere, each D and above member has three voucher loaded on card each night for use during those same designated hours for use in various bars (and often restaurants, too) for same selection of drinks.

D Plus members get a free bag of laundry, D members get a discount on laundry,  RCI does limit the types of items that can go in the laundry bag.

D members get 24 hours of internet while D plus get twice that.

Each D and above member gets a coupon for a free photo.  

Meal with officer is added at higher point within D Plus.

Specialty dinners, such as NCL provider loyalty members, are not part of RCI’s program, nor is the cheap welcome aboard bubbly.

I once won a raffle on Princess, giving me their top tier benefits for the rest of the cruise.  They brought a minibar set up to our cabin and gave us Wi-Fi and some small happy hour discounts.  I appreciated the gift, but still, I admit I was underwhelmed compared to either NCL or RCI.  So, kudos to both if you ask me.

• Like 1

That almost appears as if it has taken over from the VIP Cocktail Party.   Interesting time though, lunchtime rather than the evening.

Will be interesting to see if it is reported elsewhere on other cruises.   Would look forward to it on the way to South Africa on the Spirit.

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Finally!

In all seriousness, I'm surprised there wasn't one till today just for the higher tiers.

(In all my cruises, I've never seen one and I'm Platinum plus.)

Edit:

I guess with all the double points promo over the summer, there's now enough Platinums to warrent a party?

IMG_20190905_192748635.jpg

Is this reception “in addition to” the normal Latitudes party or does it replace it?

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

Totally irrelevant to the point they made, where they didn’t in any way suggest that it was free (or even mention that they got it as a perk).

Thats before we consider that, being from the U.K., the gratuity on the perk is irrelevant anyway.

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

What else?

Thanks!!!

Three drinks are included in your key card, but if you are in the Diamond Lounge, those drinks don't count toward the three.  So, you can drink what you want in the Lounge and then go to dinner and order up to three drinks in the MDR.   We usually don't drink more than 2-3 glasses of wine while at the Lounge, then 1-2 at dinner.   

Celebrity does have the same free laundry bag for Elite.  Royal doesn't include a free bag, but there is a discounted bag included.

As for comparing bottom line prices for cruises, we have found that in the past year or two that Royal's price for a comparable cruise (compared to Celebrity and NCL) have been the lowest.   We don't cruise the Caribbean.   We did have a very inexpensive Celebrity Eclipse cruise from Chile to San Diego earlier this year.  We did a great Royal cruise of Norway up to the North Cape that was less expensive than a similar NCL cruise.    Celebrity didn't offer a North Cape cruise.   

I found a good transatlantic from Rome to Miami in November 2020 that Royal's cruise was 40% lower than Celebrity's.  NCL didn't have one released yet.  I am sure that what line is lower may depend on the cruise, but Celebrity and NCL have seen their prices increase since they started bundling promos with the bottom line price.

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

Are you sure he paid 20% gratuities, or are you just assuming he did.  (He being from UK with different rules!).  And an argument about drink prices is not really relevant - he was pointing out that with a drink package the happy hour wasn't going to do him much good!

NCL adds the 20% gratuity to drink packages, even if provided as a promo.

Yes, he was saying the the happy hour wouldn't work for him because he had the drink package, but my point was even getting the drink package as a promo (Free according to NCL) that the 20% would be a huge factor.

Prior to NCL adopting the drink package, we would normally purchase a wine package and spend perhaps a total of $300-$400 on alcohol for a 14 day cruise.   Now, if you pay the inflated bottom line cruise price (more because of the promos) you still pay almost $20 per day per person AFTER you pick the drink package promo.   That adds up, for two persons for 14 days MORE, JUST for the gratuities that we used to spend prior to the introduction of NCL promos.

Of course, we are moderate drinkers.  If you are a heavy drinker, it might be more favorable.

OP,  thanks for the update - I guess we will eventually find out if this is fleetwide.  The last Latitude reception/event (on the Dawn, this May) was for everyone with "status", ran by the CruiseNext team and take a guess as to what they're promoting & selling ... live band playing music in between, the presentation slotted in the middle.  

As for @erdoran 's question - NCL has long stopped checking for the invite or color coded Guest keycards for Latitude tier level/status at the entrance, as those personalized letter was once used for door prizes (long gone, long ago ...)  Odds are that your hubby aren't going to be stopped or turned back - even for the Captain's Reception in the designated (often, Haven) lounge - not everyone showed up, just to grab a beverage or finger food circulating. 

Like Buford T said, used to be a general Latitude reception and one for Gold & Platinum in those days (Plus & Ambassadors are relatively new tiers within the 4 or 5 years) ... NCL just bringing it back, with a different twist & spin.  These events typically last no more than 30 minutes but scheduling smack in the middle of lunch @ 12:30 p.m. ?