Cabin steward service

wpas1

Never cruised on Carnival and I do not understanding steward service.  Do they only provide it once a day?  Not sure if I will like this, part of cruising is being pampered.

Edited by wpas1

@wpas1 You should be given a form on day 1 of your cruise asking if you want a robe, or any other special requests (like extra towels or ice). It will also ask you if you want service Morning, Evening or both. If your cabin steward tries to push you into only picking one, feel free to push back. Many people prefer only once a day service, but there's nothing wrong with asking for twice a day. If you don't get what you ask for, make a point of going to Guest Services, if you can't find the floor supervisor (they're often around and about when the staff are cleaning the rooms- sometimes they'll even introduce themselves).

Edited by Shaded Lady

Just out of curiosity but for those asking for service multiple times a day what are you expecting with each service. Until reading this thread its not something that I considered so I'm not sure what you want. Is it just fresh towels, bed made in the AM then turned down in the PM? With the exception of towels I think I could live with service every other day. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wpas1 said:

Never cruised on Carnival and I do not understanding steward service.  Do they only provide it once a day?  Not sure if I will like this, part of cruising is being pampered.

How does twice a day service makes you feel pampered? 

Someone bringing towels in the evening is not pampering. 

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

We only ask 2x a day because we like the towel animals at night..lol just kidding, we only need once a day.

You don’t get towel animals unless you have night service? 

This makes me a little sad. I really don’t need two cleanings a day I do like having my fresh wash cloths (we use our towels at least twice) trash emptied and beds made, but also love turn down service and my daughter loves taking pictures of our animals. 

I wonder if I tell our steward that they only need to leave a towel animal they will comply. It seems like if I make a request to only have a little something down they always just do everything. 

4 hours ago, geoffrywillhardt said:

Just out of curiosity but for those asking for service multiple times a day what are you expecting with each service. Until reading this thread its not something that I considered so I'm not sure what you want. Is it just fresh towels, bed made in the AM then turned down in the PM? With the exception of towels I think I could live with service every other day. 

For me, it’s really swapping out the towels. And I’ll usually mention as much- twice a day, but at night all we need is changing out the towels. We book inside cabins and I’ve been known to take 3 showers a day (usually 2 but sometimes 3). I’ve yet to come up with a good place to put the old towels. The bathrooms are small so I don’t like a towel mountain on the floor. We tend to use the hook in the cabin to dry things. And we can only hang so many in the bathroom without squishing them so tight that they’d stay soaking wet. So it works for us- if they ever went to once a day service, we’d probably pick evening just to reduce the amount of time we had a towel mountain. But it wouldn’t be the end of the world 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, moondog73 said:

we ask for only morning service and always still get a towel animal.  I don't understand why people need twice a day.  If you stay at a hotel, you only get once a day.

The difference for me, is at a hotel towels seem to dry a little better and I can reuse them. Also, generally, more room to hang things. Cruising is a little different for me. But if they went to once a day, I’d probably look into brining hooks or something and adapt. Because I’m very clumsy and would pretty much be sure to trip over towels in the way. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, moondog73 said:

I don't understand why people need twice a day.  If you stay at a hotel, you only get once a day.

Hotels don't provide a lot of things that a cruise ship does.  Should the cruise lines only offer the amenities that a hotel offers?

I think that the little things like twice a day cabin service, candies at night, and etc is associated by many as part of the over-all cruise experience. It's because for many years twice a day cabin service was the "norm" on Carnival, like it still is on other cruise lines.

Personally, I'm fine with once a day cabin service.

14 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

It is what it is. Carnival is absolutely the budget experience, so I've learned to accept that. Grudgingly.

I don’t want to except that - but I think you are right. We try to fight it and remember the cruising experience  of yesteryears but it different. The experience is not one of pampering and over indulgence. It’s a vacation on the sea - but still a good one. 

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Towel animals now come morning only, even if you ask for twice daily service. In the olden days (what, 3 years ago? Two?), the full service was done in the morning, with the bathroom being cleaned, bed made, vacuuming and so forth. The evening was just turn down service. I used to really enjoy this. We'd come back to the cabin at the end of the day to find the towel animal along with the next day's Fun Times, the bed linens turned down, the drapes pulled shut and the lighting turned low and romantic. Oh, and the pillow chocolates. Remember those?

I remember all of this.  I'm pretty sure the chocolates were eliminated before we were given the choice of morning/evening service. 

But I did not know that the towel animals are coming in the morning for everyone now.  I thought they were still made in the evening for those who got service at that time.

We were on the Sunrise last week.  We asked for morning and evening service because I wanted ice twice a day and I always like coming back to the cabin at the end of the night to see the bed turned down, lights on low.  We got our towel animals in the morning and funny thing is, they lived longer when we got them at night!  I would put them on a shelf and they would survive for days, but for some reason when we get them in the morning they didn't survive the day, not sure why!  I shower twice a day so it is nice to have the bathroom tidied up.  I, too remember the twice a day service without asking, the chocolates on the pillow, etc.  One of the reasons we fell in love with cruising...it felt special, unlike a hotel's once a day service.

• Like 1