Tight space sanity saving ideas

seashellsk

4 of us ladies (50 year olds) are taking a 5 day on Carnival Elation. We have a balcony, 2 twin and 2 pullmans. Ok i need some advice. I am trying to come up with some sanity saving ideas for all of our STUFF. Here is what i have been thinking:

1. Shower caddie (pocket) that hangs on the shower rod - do the showers have rods to hang this on?

2. Over door pockets (think shoes) - I have heard that they no longer allow the metal part that goes over the door to hold this. 

3. Command hooks or metal hooks - I have heard the metal ones no longer work. i could use a command hook on the door to hold the shoe pocket if no hooks allowed.

4. Extension cords allowed?

5. We plan on bringing yeti type cups, do you feel they were a good idea?

6. What about towel holder clamps to hold to your chair?

Any other hints are very welcome! Thanks

59 minutes ago, seashellsk said:

1. Shower caddie (pocket) that hangs on the shower rod - do the showers have rods to hang this on?

2. Over door pockets (think shoes) - I have heard that they no longer allow the metal part that goes over the door to hold this. 

3. Command hooks or metal hooks - I have heard the metal ones no longer work. i could use a command hook on the door to hold the shoe pocket if no hooks allowed.

4. Extension cords allowed?

5. We plan on bringing yeti type cups, do you feel they were a good idea?

6. What about towel holder clamps to hold to your chair?

Any other hints are very welcome! Thanks

In the cabins we've had, the shower curtains are on a track, not a rod, so you couldn't hang anything. But we've never had a balcony, I don't know if those are any different. We bought a shower caddy with a single hook. The shower head is still too big for the hook, so we'll hang it from the grab bar or near the faucet handles. Ours is a lot like this one. There's a metal rod across the top to keep the caddy hanging evenly from a single hook. Got it on Amazon. You can search for shower caddy or mesh shower caddy.

81ju08nrbpL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Magnetic hooks still work on most ships' walls. I'm guessing the Elation, being older, has the full-on metal walls, but someone will have to verify. Otherwise, Command Strips would work. You just can't use anything, like tape, that would leave an adhesive residue.

Extension cords are allowed. Just make sure they're in good condition so as not to pose a threat to the electrical. If they think they look old and worn out, they'll confiscate them during check-in. You can also take a power strip as long as it IS NOT surge protected. But I prefer a long extension cord. We usually take one that's 9-10 ft. long. It's easier to carry and it can be stretched where we need it.

Yeti type cups are perfectly fine. A lot of people take them. We take a sports bottle type. I like to fill it with lemonade and carry it around or leave it in the cabin fridge. If you fill your own cups/travel mugs at the drink stations, for sanitary reasons, you have to dispense the drink into one of their clean plastic cups first, then fill yours will that.

My wife bought some towel clips a few years ago and never used them. They're still in the package. Then again, she doesn't spend a lot of time laying in a lounger. That one is up to you.

Put your luggage under the two twin beds. You should be able to fit quite a bit under them.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 1

I found the "Amazon Cruise Accessories'" very helpful, and got several things from them. It has just about all the stuff you need for your stateroom that you can imagine. Take a look:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cruise+accessories&lo=list&language=en_US&crid=3R0UA2XV7RDB&linkCode=ll2&linkId=82a3626649a0d741a5ddb9e22f4e8c19&qid=1562019848&sprefix=cruise+access%2Caps%2C434&ref=sr_pg_1

Just now, Sea Hag said:

The best thing I know of for dealing with tight space is to decide early on where everything belongs and then always and immediately put the thing back in its space after you use it.

^^^^^^This! So true! 

First, pack light. 4 suitcases and/or carryons will be difficult to store, much less contents if they are full. 

I HIGHLY recommend taking advantage of the ship's laundry service midtrip. I packed less undergarments, socks, shirts and shorts a couple weeks ago.  I tried to allow my wife extra space in my luggage.   

I can't imagine 4 adults in one room...maybe during my early 20s, but not now.  

• Like 3

Hi

For mornings or evenings, considering there are 4 of you one or two of you might consider heading to the gym. This is most particle if any of you actually like using the gym. 

What you will find up there is not only the gym facilities but more importantly more shower facilities (with unlimited towels), and if it is something you also may like, they have a steam room as well as a dry sauna. Bring a bag with a fresh change of clothes and you will be set for the day or the evening.

have a great cruise

• Like 1

You can use the spa showers.

Store suitcases under the bed

Have the steward remove the coffee table if you need more foot room

Store  dirty clothes in the suitcases under the bed

ask for twice per day room service-this will stop towels from piling up.

commander  or magnetic hooks for hanging hats, purses, towels, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seashellsk said:

I have always brought one of these. Can someone confirm that the they are NO longer allowed? I have one ready to go for my cruise in 3 weeks!😏

1 hour ago, RumpunchGirl said:

I have always brought one of these. Can someone confirm that the they are NO longer allowed? I have one ready to go for my cruise in 3 weeks!😏

It depends on the cruise line, but many don't allow metal hooks on the over the door holders because they damage the door surface when the door is closed. A couple of ways around it:

- loop a string around the hook on the back of the bathroom  door, bring both ends of the string over top of the door and run the strings through the holes in the holder, tying them off

- use heavy duty magnets with hooks

4 hours ago, HillBilly Bob said:

Keep in mind....4 ladies....ONE TOILET. 

Almost 20 years ago we had seven folks, three women and four men, at our one bath vacation home.  When we arrived I issued the edict that we were going on women's bathroom rules: you take no reading materials, you do what you need to do and you get out.  Worked like a charm.

• Like 2

It will help if everyone simply brings less stuff, BUT that increases the likelihood that some or all will want to do hand laundry in the bathroom sink, and there is just not enough room to hang very much up. So I recommend not planning on any hand laundry even though it means that everyone needs somewhat more luggage and drawer space. Discuss in advance whether you will plan on using the ship's laundry, or just bring more clothing.

You might all consider using packing cubes, but pack them this way: everything for two or three days in one packing cube, rather than all items of one kind each in separate packing cubes. Leave the second and third packing cubes in your suitcases (under the beds) and swap the packing cubes as needed. This way each person uses only half as much drawer space.

Will you all have devices that require charging? I don't know your ship, but a typical cruise cabin has just two North American-style receptacles and one Euro-style. The latter is 220 volts and requires a plug adapter, but most chargers are dual-voltage so only the adapter, not a converter, is needed. As noted above, power strips with surge protectors are not allowed (they are incompatible with the ship's wiring), but a triple tap is OK. On most cruise lines you're not allowed to leave anything plugged in while no one is in the cabin, and cabin stewards are supposed to unplug anything that they notice, so charging time is limited to overnight and any other time that someone is in the cabin.

• Like 1

Agree to travel light : one small suitcase per —- period.  Accept the fact that you cannot spend bathroom time or space to wash/hang laundry — use ships laundry service.  Get up in shifts - four people washing and changing won’t work.  Shifts need to be organized for  all in-cabin activity.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Agree to travel light : one small suitcase per —- period.  Accept the fact that you cannot spend bathroom time or space to wash/hang laundry — use ships laundry service.  Get up in shifts - four people washing and changing won’t work.  Shifts need to be organized for  all in-cabin activity.

It's five days!  Why would they need to do laundry?????

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

If they want to change underwear or other clothes  they either have to bring a lot or get it washed.

Most women I know wear (or can wear) their bras more than one day.  Five pairs of 'panties' take up practically no room.  Unless they dribble a lot they can wear things multiple times and mix and match.  Wear one pair of shoes, pack the smaller pair.  Easy peasy.  IMneverHO 🙂

• Like 1