4 people in a sky suite? What do you think?

CarolinaMamma

Traveling with our 2 teens and debating between 2 balconies or a sky suite on either Edge or Equinox. The pricing is coming out very close, once you factor in that we like to upgrade to non-MDR dining most of the time. Has anyone tried this? Would we feel cramped and go crazy?  I see that some SS have trundle beds, but I don’t know how to figure out which ones. 

We’ve always booked 2 balconies, except for one time when we had a family veranda on Infinity when the kids were little. I’m a little hesitant to share a room and bathroom with our kids, but the suite perks, quiet sun deck, better restaurant and nicer balcony are so appealing.  

No.  We have sailed in sky suites many times.  It's a larger room but not THAT much larger.  They'd have to bring in an extra bed.  And 4 in a bathroom and no privacy.    Since you like the specialty restaurants book the regular cabins and enjoy your cruise.

We're cruising in a regular cabin in February, for the first time in a long time, and we will be eating every meal in specialty restaurants as well.  We have all the perks included and are elite+ with some additional things added, so our cruise should be pretty sweet.  Yes we'll miss the larger room, but we're still saving so much money.  

• Like 1

Sky Suite definitely not large enough for 2 adults and 2 teens.  When we sailed on Edge with 3 in a SS we were fortunate to have the concierge cabin 3 doors down vacant and the Suite Manager graciously asked if one of us wanted to move to that cabin (while still keeping all Suite benefits).  She told us that the SS category can only truly accommodate a 3rd/4th when they are very small children.  Stick with the 2 verandah cabins.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Thanks for the candid opinions! 

We can also get a 2-bedroom (And 2 bathroom!) family villa in the Haven on NCL the same week for about the same price, so I’m considering that as well, but I like Celebrity better,

It it was me, I'd go with this option.  NCL is our preferred line when traveling with family.  When it's just DH and me, we go with Celebrity.  You will get more room for the money and a nice Haven experience as well.  Your teens will find more to do on NCL and that will be nice for you bc you won't worry about them having fun.  Don't get me wrong, I love Celebrity, but I reserve it for the two of us.  Our adult children have had a blast on NCL. If they want to graduate to Celebrity, they will have to foot the bill themselves....a sky suite is too cramped for 4 people and the typical teen wouldn't appreciate celebrity's style...yours may be different, but in this case, I think NCL is the way to go.

Friends have done this with one or the other of their two children for years, but never both.   When both children were along they booked an inside cabin very close by for them.  Both children (late teens, early 20’s) were always welcome in Michael’s Club (now the Retreat) and they paid for them to eat in Luminae most nights.    Personally, three people in a sky suite would be my max.

• Like 1

With all the shuffling  of cabins on some ships (Connie)  due to capacity issues from added sun suites,  I wonder if the sky suites on EDGE or EQUINOX allow 4  anymore...  Even so..very tight!

On EDGE, locker rm  showers are in the pvt spa area....not open to public

2 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Thanks for the candid opinions! 

We can also get a 2-bedroom (And 2 bathroom!) family villa in the Haven on NCL the same week for about the same price, so I’m considering that as well, but I like Celebrity better,

I've sailed with kids (two balcony rooms) on X, without kids (AQ, Sky suites) on X, and with kids in Haven on NCL.

Of the three options you suggest, despite the fact that I prefer X to NCl, I would choose the 2 bed 2 bath Haven villa in this circumstance.

More room, Haven benefits (in my mind better than X's suite benefits although restaurant is only ok), lovely bath in the master bedroom with ocean views...  Perfect.

2 hours ago, jcpc said:

Sky Suite definitely not large enough for 2 adults and 2 teens.  When we sailed on Edge with 3 in a SS we were fortunate to have the concierge cabin 3 doors down vacant and the Suite Manager graciously asked if one of us wanted to move to that cabin (while still keeping all Suite benefits).  She told us that the SS category can only truly accommodate a 3rd/4th when they are very small children.  Stick with the 2 verandah cabins.

Wow, that was incredibly nice of them!  Great service.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Not even sure you can book 4 in a sky suite.  There certainly isn't room for them.

Did a mock booking on Equinox and yup... you can book 4.   I personally would opt for 2 room instead as it would really be a tight squeeze.

image.png.7b10c146ed6a4380d359495ae1bba60e.png

I've done a regular balcony cabin with 4 adults. My mother, me, my son and my niece. Two twin beds, the couch and a cot. It was tight but it was a blast. We managed with one bathroom just fine. So if you have your heart set on X... it IS possible. Only you know your family dynamics, though. That's really what you need to consider here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the_dylaness said:

Wow, that was incredibly nice of them!  Great service.

Yes it was super nice of her.  We didn't even complain about the size of the sky suite to her or anyone else.  I think she was just being proactive and knew that 3 grown women in the SS would be an issue.  We would have made do but having the extra cabin was wonderful.  She came to see us while we were eating dinner at Luminae on the first night and talked to us about this.  This type of service is what makes Celebrity #1 in my mind.

Also something to remember about the SS configurations on Edge -- the 4th person would sleep on a trundle bed (which in my mind is essentially a mattress on the floor!)  Also I'm not sure if the Equinox has been revolutionized yet but when the SS's were revolutionized on the M Class ships the storage space was drastically reduced so I think you'd have a hard time putting away clothing, etc. for 4 people.  I've personally sailed in SS, RS, FV and balcony cabin on Summit since it's revolution and a lot of storage space in each of those cabin configurations has been eliminated.

Edited by jcpc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

I've done a regular balcony cabin with 4 adults. My mother, me, my son and my niece. Two twin beds, the couch and a cot. It was tight but it was a blast. We managed with one bathroom just fine. So if you have your heart set on X... it IS possible. Only you know your family dynamics, though. That's really what you need to consider here. 

Agreed. My family did 4 adults in a Disney Concierge stateroom (not a suite) and were fine. But we have rarely had more than one room when staying in a hotel, so we're used to it.

3 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

I am now seeing that some S3s on Edge connect to either veranda cabins or inside cabins. Maybe that would be a solution. 

Since no one else has answered you question, yes it would be if affordable.  There’s been a lot of opining here with no one answering your above question, hope this is helpful we love the E Class.

Edited by Oville

We have done three in a Sky suite. One sleeps in the sofa bed. Not bad. With 4 they need to add a roll away. Not really much room for the roll away!!! We did four in a Celebrity suite with a roll away but would not in a Sky suite !!!

5 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Not even sure you can book 4 in a sky suite.  There certainly isn't room for them.

Our TA spoke to Celebrity about adding our daughter to our booking in February. We could not do it for a SS on the Edge without  moving  cabins (we didn’t want to do that as we have a SS at the back corner with a big balcony) but did it for the Silhouette CS which has a bit more room.

Adding someone to an existing booking is a different issue. You may not be able to add another person into a stateroom based on how many there already are for that room’s lifeboat assignment. The capacity of the lifeboats may be reached already, so they would not let you add another person to a room even if that room is technically sized for more people.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

I am now seeing that some S3s on Edge connect to either veranda cabins or inside cabins. Maybe that would be a solution. 

I think (but may be incorrect) that these types of configurations are referred to sometimes as Family Sky Suites.  Check with either your travel agent or Celebrity directly but this may be a perfect solution.