Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

Safe travels Kathi, thanks for taking us along on this most amazing voyage.  Let's hope that there are not any repeats of the itinerary/experiences in the coming year.  I have been on a cruise with Captain Mercer at the helm in stormy weather and with angry passengers.  I had no doubt in my mind that he would get the Amsterdam to a safe harbour.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rowsby said:

Amsterdam going in to Fremantle right now........and webcam link.....

https://www.fremantleports.com.au/the-port/harbourcams/harbourcam-1

Screenshot (888) copy.jpg

Arrival at Fremantle - what a relief.  I was proud that Australia let a number of cruise ships disembark passengers, despite some arriving after the Government banned cruise ships and some passengers having the virus.  Smart decision by WA Premier to insist passengers be transferred direct from the ship to airport for their flights home.

Wishing all on board a safe journey home. 

Thanks to all who shared their experiences on WC blogs, continuing to the end of the shortened WC, despite the obvious difficult circumstances.

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 4

To scrapnana and others.

the Perth airport is a breeze. No lines at 9:00 when the first transfer group arrived.

You could possibly be only 15 minutes from arrival at airport to the gate.

There were no porters at the bus stop. A coin op place to rent a trolley for your luggage is nearby. Visa tap works. Swipe didn't work for another man who tried to get a trolley.

Good luck

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am posting updates on my blog as I make my way home.  I figure I will forget most of it after 24 hours of flying and almost as much in airports, so I decided to update as I go.  8.5 hours to boarding.

https://2020halgwv.blogspot.com

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

I am posting updates on my blog as I make my way home.  I figure I will forget most of it after 24 hours of flying and almost as much in airports, so I decided to update as I go.  8.5 hours to boarding.

I hope your flights home go smoothly.  You will probably be tired when you board, so you should sleep on the short first leg. 

11 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Thanks.  You feel like an "old" friend after following you for so long.  Please keep us posted.

• Like 1

I am back in the US at the Dallas airport.

Here is the post I just added to my blog.

March 23, 2020

The Long Road Home Part 3

It seems like a month since my last post rather than about 20 hours.  I had a sandwich and a Coke before the flight and then walked around one last time.

The plane was almost full with only a handful of empty seats in Economy.  First and business were upstairs so I don’t know about those.  Besides a lot of people from the ship, there were a few from the other two ships, quite a few students studying in Australia as well as some vacationers on the plane.

We were a bit late leaving because we waited for some people who were transferring from the domestic terminal (this included Judy (Lee) and her husband Rich whose flight from Perth did not arrive until 12:40 and we were scheduled to leave at 1:40.  We actually left about 2:15.

I fell asleep for about an hour after we took off but woke up when they delivered the meal.  I ended up watching five movies (more than I have seen in total in the last two years.  I napped in between movies but did not get more than about four hours total.

We made up time and had a really smooth flight (the seatbelt sign did not come on once) which arrived on time.  Having Global Entry made going through immigration a snap.  Luggage was off loaded quickly and there were lots of free carts.  Dropped my two checked bags and then tried to find my gate for the flight home.  I finally found out I had to take the Skylink train to get to Terminal 3.

The airport is very quiet with some of the shops closed and the restaurants only having take away.  My flight does not board until 5:55 so I will get a late lunch to while away the time.

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

Snort and I arrived home a couple of hours ago. 3 flights, 18 hours actual flying time, 17 hours of wait time in airports. Total : 35 hours. 

exhausted but happy to be back in my home country. 

Glad you and the guys are home.  I trust you made them more comfortable than the way poor Snort was yesterday!😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1