Elite Boarding & Tendering

PE Cruisers

53 minutes ago, PE Cruisers said:

Hello, We're Elite and bringing our friends who are first time cruisers with us on the Regal in March. Can they board and get on the tender with us instead of having to wait.

I was on the Crown Princess in January. (Boarding)  Our Medallion were checked and we were allowed to enter the elite lounge.

No one else was allowed in. 
Tony

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

The answer is yes, they won't prevent it, but they aren't supposed to, it's supposed to be elite only.  At least that has been our experience at FLL. 

I agree, Princess will not say no. "No", is not in the Princess vocabulary, but that does not make it right.

From the Captains Circle Benefits page,  https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/membershipBenefits.page

For Platinum:

Priority Check-In at Embarkation
When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. You, along with your family or guests that are traveling with you in the same stateroom will be invited to use the Priority Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation.

For Elite:

Priority Ship to Shore Water Shuttle Embarkation
In ports where it is necessary to take a water shuttle to get ashore, you, along with your family or guests that are traveling with you in the same stateroom have the opportunity to travel ashore quickly and without waiting in line.

And for your next question:

Platinum Disembarkation Lounge
In recognition of your loyalty, and to make your last morning with us more enjoyable, we invite Platinum Members, along with their family or guests that are sailing in the same stateroom to use the Platinum Disembarkation Lounge, offering light refreshments and peace while you await disembarkation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pms4104 said:

And if all elites and suite guests brought along a gaggle of those who haven't earned the privilege?

You are, by the way, able to join your friends in the lines designated for their level.

Agree...sometimes people just don't think about the effects of their actions might have on other people! ( Might be thoughtless, could be selfish ?)

Unless you and your friends are sharing the same cabin, the answer is No and No.

They have not earned the privilege.

But you are welcome to join your friends in the general boarding area at embarkation and in the designated waiting area for tenders if you feel the need to stay together.

Edited by flamomo

3 hours ago, Mikey0368 said:

If Princess want us to book with them again, leaving us hanging around while they fawn over people they consider to be superior to us isn't the way to do it.

Every 'elite' poster on this board was once a Princess newbie and obviously any 'fawning' over other cruisers didn't stop any of us from future cruises on Princess! 

I think it wasn't until our 3rd cruise that we realized that there was any differentiation at all in boarding practices because you won't notice them unless you are at the port between the time when check-in begins and boarding begins. Once boarding starts it is a very quick process (even quicker with Medallion I hear) for everyone.   As far as tender practices, we often travel with members of our immediate and extended families who are not elite and have always waited with them for a tender. 

BTW, loyalty status is not a designation of superiority; it is simply an acknowledgement of spending lots of money and time on Princess.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, geoherb said:

It depends. A lot of the time, they don't even realize that others have priority because they're waiting in a separate place. 

I'm sort of guessing here, but if they let elites board at 11am, that might take 10-15 minutes, then platinums, then everyone else, so it's probably not more than 30 minutes difference for those who are onsite when it starts.

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

BTW, loyalty status is not a designation of superiority; it is simply an acknowledgement of spending lots of money and time on Princess.

Yep, although you can tell from some that they do view it as a badge of superiority.  We are elite, and do take advantage of the early boarding, but simply to get to lunch before it gets crazy.  🙂

11 hours ago, PE Cruisers said:

Hello, We're Elite and bringing our friends who are first time cruisers with us on the Regal in March. Can they board and get on the tender with us instead of having to wait.

Officially the answer is no, but they can alway follow you to the tender boarding area and no one will know any difference. 

4 hours ago, Mikey0368 said:

So how long should those in scum class, like first time cruisers like us, expect to wait in queues?

If Princess want us to book with them again, leaving us hanging around while they fawn over people they consider to be superior to us isn't the way to do it.

You probably need to find another kind of vacation, one that does not let you be in a closed environment (think ship) with other people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikey0368 said:

So how long should those in scum class, like first time cruisers like us, expect to wait in queues?

Aww, poor Mikey. With an attitude like yours, I'm hoping you forego Princess altogether, at least any cruises I'm on.

Happy sailing!

5 minutes ago, shepp said:

Aww, poor Mikey. With an attitude like yours, I'm hoping you forego Princess altogether, at least any cruises I'm on.

Happy sailing!

You won't be too surprised to hear that I couldn't give a toss what you think. If we're on the same cruise you can get me a pint. You'll presumably be at the bar long before me.

9 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

For Elite:

Priority Ship to Shore Water Shuttle Embarkation
In ports where it is necessary to take a water shuttle to get ashore, you, along with your family or guests that are traveling with you in the same stateroom have the opportunity to travel ashore quickly and without waiting in line.

Thanks for the reminder, Interestingly enough, on our Royal cruise in December the Captain's Circle Host gave me a hard time for trying to do a priority tender with my son who is 12.  I am Elite, he is Platinum, we were in the same cabin. 

She made me think that he was not allowed to do priority tender, but she was "doing me a favor" by allowing us to go together. I could have sworn he was allowed since we were in the same cabin.  Glad I was right.  Maybe she was overwhelmed by the number of people trying to do priority tender? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mikey0368 said:

You won't be too surprised to hear that I couldn't give a toss what you think. If we're on the same cruise you can get me a pint. You'll presumably be at the bar long before me.

Sorry, but I don't drink alcohol. I have, over the course of over 300 days on Princess, noted that there are insulting, belligerent passengers who might do well staying off the booze, but that's another story.

Edited by shepp

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

Every 'elite' poster on this board was once a Princess newbie and obviously any 'fawning' over other cruisers didn't stop any of us from future cruises on Princess! 

Our experience too has been that being Elite does not really make the boarding or tender experience really that much different then we we first Blue Cards....as a matter of fact we have been on a number of cruises that the vast majority of passengers were Elite and you really never knew the difference or saw any specialized treatment.  Princess does a great job of making all passengers feel valued no matter what status they have!!  As you suggested, it is some passengers who think they are special because of their status and let everyone know it too!!!

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, PE Cruisers said:

I just got off Regal last Sunday.  DW & I are Platinum level and we booked an adjoining cabin for our SIL and DN.  I was told by Princess Reps a few times that since they were adjoining cabins they would be treated as family in the same cabin.  I think the big difference was that we booked the adjoining cabins with the door that could be opened to make the two cabins into one large one.  It turned out to be true, we all priority boarded and used the disembarkation lounge with no problems even though the medallions on their lanyards were clearly blue ones.

17 hours ago, PE Cruisers said:

The ethical thing to do is to get in the line with the non elites if you wish to tender together.

• Like 1

We were on the Royal last month and were told to report to the believe it is called Six Lounge (might have it wrong the name that is).  Anyhow, this was for the tender  to Cabo.  Being Elite, we did and the lady there checked everyone's medallion and gave us a number.   When a person who was not Elite happened to come with Elite passengers, she told them to go to another spot (theatre I believe) to get their separate ticket.  She was in constant contact with the gangway and when the first shore excursion people were boarding, she walked us down to the tender stairs and would not allow anyone else in the stairway.  So, the answer to the question is I guess it demands on the ship and the Headmaster.  

• Like 2

Often there isn't a huge difference between waiting in the elite lounge and waiting elsewhere. There's only a few smaller ports where this is problematic, and that is controlled by that Port Authority not Princess. So before you think Princess is treating you like 'scum class' for asking you to wait your turn, think it through.

FWIW I've noticed a heighten sense of resentment on the boards recently because of perceived slights, probably because of Coronavirus. It would be great if emotions calmed down. If cruising (opting to have timing controlled by a 3rd party) isn't for anyone that's fine. But when you willingly elect to be one of 700 or 2100 or 2670 (Diamond Princess) or 3560 (Majestic Princess) you opt into their rules & timing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Thanks for the reminder, Interestingly enough, on our Royal cruise in December the Captain's Circle Host gave me a hard time for trying to do a priority tender with my son who is 12.  I am Elite, he is Platinum, we were in the same cabin. 

She made me think that he was not allowed to do priority tender, but she was "doing me a favor" by allowing us to go together. I could have sworn he was allowed since we were in the same cabin.  Glad I was right.  Maybe she was overwhelmed by the number of people trying to do priority tender? 

Was her first name something like Silb?

18 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I was on the Crown Princess in January. (Boarding)  Our Medallion were checked and we were allowed to enter the elite lounge.

No one else was allowed in. 
Tony

That must be super duper elite if no one else but you two were allowed in. 😃

On our last cruise, the elite lines were actually longer than the regular line. In fact when we went through there was no line at all for us "non-elite" people. Some of the elites jumped from their line into ours. I was infuriated, and I got the Princess employees to send them back to their own line, where they belonged. 😉

Seriously though, why not get rid of some of the elitism that seems to be engendered by the cards, by removing the elite from the name. Just call the cards by their colour. Elite becomes black. Why is it the only one not called its colour?

Or better yet make Elite a sparkly pink colour with a Hello Kitty on it. It is hard to get all superior when you are flashing a Hello Kitty card.

In the end, I really don't think boarding is much of an issue. Princess does a pretty good job of getting people onto the ship, and I think the introduction of the Medallion should improve the process regardless of the passenger's level.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1