US State Department urging not to cruise

34 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

I think the likely hood to pick up this virus on an airplane is much greater than on a cruise ship. 

I actually was impressed reading about the air filters on airplanes. If you have non-aisle seat and don't move about on an airplane I think much less chance than on a cruise ship.

• Like 2

CDC also recommends against long airplane travel for at risk groups:

Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.

1 hour ago, royal girl said:

We're young and healthy but just the thought of being quarantined on a ship and then sent off to some base scares me to the point that as of right now we are not going on our August cruise.  All it takes is one person on the ship to be sick and that's it.  I feel so bad for these people in quarantine.  Their homes, jobs, bills, pets, children....   I'm reconsidering Vegas too.

Being under quarantine scares me more than the getting the virus.

Right, this is how we feel - the overreacting by "officials" has us worried over our next cruise which we do NOT want cancelled.

13 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

I totally agree -- the State Department warning was different than the CDC warning.  You're right -- Alert was probably issued by a a panicking State Dept. Bureaucrat.  

What's troublesome about this ordeal - how state dept never assaulted the air travel industry and went RIGHT for the throat of the cruising business. This decision probably came at a pub on another extended lunch break by these "officials" who have nothing better to do with themselves.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, royal girl said:

We have until May 1 to cancel.   But as of right now, not looking good!  I think the 48 cancel thing is only good on cruises through July?

Not sure you're exact day of Cruise but if you missed it not exactly 48hrs.  It's  48 hours prior to 12:01 am on the day the cruise leaves so its actually closer to 63 to 65 hours hours depending on departure time. 

11 hours ago, chadcf said:

My cruise is in August and I'm a little concerned as I have 6 weeks left before final payment (and thus losing more money than just my deposit), and their recently announced 48 hour cancellation policy only applies for cruises through the end of July. If they don't extend the policy in the next 6 weeks, and this doesn't all blow over, I'm going to have to make a gut call on whether to cancel before more than just my security deposit is on the line.

Not super pleased about that! I'd be happy to hang in there and see how things play out by late summer if I knew I wouldn't risk losing money if things work out badly. Like others I'm not that worried about getting sick, but I am worried about missing ports or getting stuck in quarantines. And I have 3 people over the age of 78 going on our cruise so that is a big concern as well.

I would expect that they will continue to extend the dates out as time goes on.  If things get better over the next 6 weeks you will get to cruise, if they don't they will continue to allow their generous cancelation policy. 

We came off Harmony yesterday, March 8th.  The ship was definitely prepared with hand washing stations, etc.  a wonderful cruise!  But, watching passengers from our balcony, come back down the dock from a day in Cozumel, we were shocked that maybe 3 out of 10 used the hand sanitizer.   Very few children used it.  Which makes me wonder... with 6,400 passengers and 2,800 crew and many many Europeans, how did we luck out?  Or did we?  

• Like 2

How fun is a cruise if being denied entry to ports ? 
I personally think the next two weeks will be a make or break for the cruise lines as far as new policy change goes. As someone mentioned it’s not so much about getting sick but being quarantined, that’s where I’m at. 
This is a discussion board and it’s nice to see people’s take on it but truth be told nobody here knows anything as far as what going to happen.

People have to do what they feel is right for them bottom line. As far as my April cruises I’ll wait right up to the 48 hours to decide. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

August is a long way off.  You may want to take a wait and see since we have no idea what will happen in 5 months.  Royal will let you reschedule your cruise even if you cancel 2 days before sail date.

But currently only for cruises departing on or before July 31.

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not sure you're exact day of Cruise but if you missed it not exactly 48hrs.  It's  48 hours prior to 12:01 am on the day the cruise leaves so its actually closer to 63 to 65 hours hours depending on departure time. 

I would give yourself a few grace days before the 48 hour deadline for your cruise.  I think it is Thursday before a Sunday cruise at 11:59 PM to cancel but I have it marked for the Monday before my cruise.  

Our local news is reporting an announcement on new procedures for those cruising will be announced tomorrow. The report said this statement is coming from the cruise industry and the federal government. Has anyone else heard about a new procedure coming out?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 2

Cruise lines must have a staff person standing at hand washing stations and sanitizing stations. All passengers must use hand sanitizer before getting back on the ship at all ports. They have to enforce this or this will never stop.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, karenemily said:

Our local news is reporting an announcement on new procedures for those cruising will be announced tomorrow. The report said this statement is coming from the cruise industry and the federal government. Has anyone else heard about a new procedure coming out?

At the Saturday meeting with Pence and the cruise line executives they announced that an enhanced plan would be formulated within 72 hours, so that is what they are referring to.  This is supposed to include a cruise industry funded plan to transfer any affected people to shore medical care, enhanced screening of guests and crew, and being able to test people on all ships.

• Like 3

You definitely have to wonder how many crew members will not report their illness for fear of this quarantine situation or if ships will keep illness quiet. Ships can't keep falling to quarantine situations this will tank the industry for sure.

10 hours ago, nu_cruzer1 said:

My sense is that the reason that the state department announcement doesn't currently restrict travel on public transportation, commercial air travel etc. is due to the financial impact that it would have on cities/government.  If they want to control the spread of the virus, why not release an advisory that restricts travel across all modes of mass transportation?  Then I will say that they're doing everything they can about controlling the spread.

Cruise lines are now screening and restricting travel to - to the extent possible - people who are ill/symptomatic, and with the refund/cruise credit policies that the cruise lines have put in place people are now in a position to feel comfortable opting out of their cruise.  There is no incentive not to travel on other modes of transportation.  At least on a cruise, everyone is identified and can be tracked, plus if a sailing is quarantined, the spread would be relatively contained to the ship.  On public transportation, airplanes etc. the virus is being passed around without any controls in place.

Well the State Department's advisory is already having a drastic effect on the Cruise Industry's (particularly RCCL) stock.  Rode the stock down to around $5 in 2009 and figure it will come back after the panicking is done.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

You definitely have to wonder how many crew members will not report their illness for fear of this quarantine situation or if ships will keep illness quiet. Ships can't keep falling to quarantine situations this will tank the industry for sure.

I thought about this. But they cant keep passenger illness a secret. Even if they try to hide a passengers illness, when they get home and test positive it will be all over the news that passenger tested positive after leaving ship. Then here we go again. So it's in their best interest to keep crew healthy and quarantined if necessary. I think daily temp checks should be done for crew.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nangelina said:

We came off Harmony yesterday, March 8th.  The ship was definitely prepared with hand washing stations, etc.  a wonderful cruise!  But, watching passengers from our balcony, come back down the dock from a day in Cozumel, we were shocked that maybe 3 out of 10 used the hand sanitizer.   Very few children used it.  Which makes me wonder... with 6,400 passengers and 2,800 crew and many many Europeans, how did we luck out?  Or did we?  

We got off oasis yesterday. They put the hand sanitizer on you right before u go on Escalator when you get on the ship. They have always done this even before the virus. You can not see that from the balcony 

• Like 1

At the Saturday meeting with Pence and the cruise line executives they announced that an enhanced plan would be formulated within 72 hours, so that is what they are referring to.  This is supposed to include a cruise industry funded plan to transfer any affected people to shore medical care, enhanced screening of guests and crew, and being able to test people on all ships.

Thank you! After this “don’t cruise” doom and gloom, I needed to hear something positive.

5 hours ago, twins_to_alaska said:

I actually was impressed reading about the air filters on airplanes. If you have non-aisle seat and don't move about on an airplane I think much less chance than on a cruise ship.

Dr Oz says air is filtered every 90 seconds.

He said you can aim the air vent to your face and be ok.  This was on FOX

News earlier

Just now, davekathy said:

Dr. Oz = blah, blah, blah...:classic_rolleyes:

ok, now this is just ridiculous. Anyhow, if it helps somehow why not to use it? 🤣 As far as the politics goes, I wouldnt trust those politicians. Nice suites and ties does not give them the right to decide what is good or bad for us. I would rather urge people to be more careful when voting next time. As far as your plans go people, just stick to them and dont mind those old politicians to misguide you. Your life - its what important. Have fun and have a nice trip guys. 
PS My neighbors father used to  be a captain on a ship (not a cruiser) and he said that the last time he listened to authorities he lost his job.. just saying 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1