Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

54 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

This is part of what I have just read.

You also have the option of transferring your holiday to an alternative date should you wish, and you can do this up to 48 hours before departure. Under our temporary highly flexible terms, you can choose to transfer your holiday to any sailing within our published programme. Any holiday, any price, anywhere!

I have two holidays (Back to Back) booked for May 2021 and have paid a deposit of £50 for each.  Does the above mean that I can transfer this year’s money I have paid to next year’s booking?

In the FAQ section on the updated cancellation policy on P&O's website it says the FCC can only be used for new bookings and not against existing bookings. See bottom of the page on link below. 

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories/flexible-cancellation-policy?utm_medium=email&utm_source=POEMCORONACANX2&utm_term=PO-5046019&utm_content=here&utm_campaign=PO+Cruises+here

Seems generous to me and we can leave it late to decide on cancelling or not. Not sure if it will allow using the FCC on an already booked cruise though which is what we would like to do, but even if not it seems pretty generous to me.

41 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

This is part of what I have just read.

“You also have the option of transferring your holiday to an alternative date should you wish, and you can do this up to 48 hours before departure. Under our temporary highly flexible terms, you can choose to transfer your holiday to any sailing within our published programme. Any holiday, any price, anywhere!”

I didn’t make my last post clear.

I am booked and paid to go on a cruise THIS May.   Does the statement above mean that I can transfer thIs May’s holiday to the B to B holiday I have booked for May 2021.

No, unfortunately. You will receive a percentage of your fare refunded in cash and the cancellation fee will become a FCC which must be used on a new future booking, not one you have already booked.

Well I have to admit that my cynical attitude in previous posts has been well and truly speared.

Just received the email with the new cancellation T&C's and I have to say that they have gone beyond what I expected bearing in mind what Carnival and Princess are currently offering.

We have a Fjord cruise on Aurora in July and the balance payment date was looming. We will now have an additional £400 OBC added to our account if we stick with the booking but if circumstances change we will be able to cancel and have a mix of refund and FCC for use up to the end of 2021 on any sailing leaving up to March 2022.

Hats off to P&O (and I didn't think I'd be writing that in the current climate) - I think they have gone as far as they could without risking financial meltdown.

Edited by arlowood
spelling
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I don’t think it's all tat. I've bought a beautiful rotary watch and some lovely pieces of jewellery. OBC of course.Now the rest of the onboard shops, that's another matter entirely!!

Avril 

That's a possibility, but I only really wear jewellery on cruises. So would still be a waste. 

14 minutes ago, comcox said:

Thank you P&O for putting your passengers first.  This makes a huge difference to me as I was facing losing thousands of dollars as my travel insurance company is refusing to cover cancellations for the virus.  My cruise was not til May but this really gives me peace of mind and a chance to make a wise decision.

We have non refundable flights and hotels booked so happy with the obc as cancelling to another date would not be helpful to us.

We’ve received the same email for our Iona trip in July but not our Ventura one later this month? Fingers crossed that we’ll get the £200 obc for Ventura as we intend going unless other events transpire against it 😞

29 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Seems generous to me and we can leave it late to decide on cancelling or not. Not sure if it will allow using the FCC on an already booked cruise though which is what we would like to do, but even if not it seems pretty generous to me.

There is a link to FAQ which has one for existing bookings but I can't get any of these to open.

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have non refundable flights and hotels booked so happy with the obc as cancelling to another date would not be helpful to us.

I also have non-refundable flights (unless Lufthansa changes its policy) and accommodation booked with non-refundable deposit, so I haven't made a final decision yet.  I already had OBC from my original booking and my shareholder's benefit so additional OBC would really not be important to me, but then I don't drink so even using what I already had would be challenging.

50 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

I'll have £600 extra OBC. I'm thinking of not pre booking excursions and waiting until I'm on board. What do others plan on doing? The drinks package wouldn't work for me, and spending it in the on board shop tat would be a waste. 

Early purchase of 2020 Xmas presents?

Perfume etc - branded stuff - paperbacks, spirits

Buy yourself 5 years stock of nice greeting cards, expensive toiletries, sunglasses?

It’s a nice problem to have!

• Like 2

I have just seen this on another P&O forum. Is this correct?

'"Please delete and apologies if not allowed. Spent an hour talking to P&O about our cruise in May. We have 2 more cruises booked for April 2021 and August 2021. The FCC offered if we cancel May cannot, it seems, be used on the cruises we have already booked because it is against new bookings only. Booked a suite for May so we have no way of getting another new cruise booked to use up the FCC😢' "

11 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Have you guys seen the emails? 

and what it offers for those still going on the crusie? 

I’ve just got mine. Weighing things up now. 

At first sight I thought it was a good offer. But on second thoughts, for those with underlying conditions, I don’t think it is. If I decide to go the FCC route I’m tying up £000’s against something future cruise that I don’t really want and am only taking because they have my money. Who knows what the future holds? Will the virus still be around? Will I still be alive? Also price increases would mean I have to pay out more than my FCC.  I am still waiting until the last moment because there is  a slim chance that the cruise will be cancelled (government decision?) in which case I would get a full refund. 

Edited by staygulf

Im a due to cruise April 2, this announcement does give me flexibility and ability to transfer if itinerary changes and if we do go we get an additional £200 obc…. however if I transfer  I part purchased with Tesco vouchers so need to see how this affects things!...also cancelling or transferring will cost me anyway as I have 3 dogs and we have already paid the non transferable deposit on their accommodation! and also airport parking and lounge cancelation will probably incur a cost of sorts..... iam planning on waiting until the last minute or to see if itin changes ….

2 minutes ago, staygulf said:

At first sight I thought it was a good offer. But on second thoughts, for those with underlying conditions, I don’t think it is. If I decide to go the FCC route I’m tying up £000’s against something future cruise that I don’t really want and am only taking because they have my money. Who knows what the future holds? Will the virus still be around? Will I still be alive? Also price increases would mean I have to pay out more than my FCC.  I am still waiting until the last moment because there is  a slim chance that the cruise will be cancelled (government decision?) in which case I would get a full refund. 

For our family it’s low risk it seems for the kids and hubby’s immune system is fine. I think my immune system isn’t brilliant but we are still waiting till we go to see what happens. 

as we are going in school holidays there is no other cruise in the next two years that I would take. I want the canaries and I need school holidays. If I go in summer holidays it’s twice as much and I don’t wanna pay that amount for a cruise. 
If we really had to move it we would but for now we are going ahead and planning as normal for Easter. 

P&o have at least tried to offer things to make us feel better. 
Full refund would have been the best thing but that would lose too much money that I assume they can’t do. 

least we have more options than we did which is good 

and we have a sweetener 

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There is a link to FAQ which has one for existing bookings but I can't get any of these to open.

Same here John. I have gone to the link on the mail for T’s and C’s of the FCC and none of the boxes will expand (usual P&O rubbish IT). I am mobile at

present so if anyone is able to ‘open’ all answers on that page and post a screen shot I’d be very grateful. 

28 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Early purchase of 2020 Xmas presents?

Perfume etc - branded stuff - paperbacks, spirits

Buy yourself 5 years stock of nice greeting cards, expensive toiletries, sunglasses?

It’s a nice problem to have!

Definitely a nice problem. I'm quite enjoying mulling over the options. 😁

I have this morning cancelled my 4 April 2020 cruise on Ventura. I will get 25% of my fare refunded plus a FCC of 75% thereof which I can use on any new booking made by 31 December 2021 and sailing not later than 31 March 2022. This seems fair enough to me and P&O are to be congratulaed for doing the right thing - eventually!

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Flowerpower22 said:

We're cruising in April.  I'm going to hold fire for a couple of weeks to see if cruises are cancelled in which case I would get a refund.  May still go ahead and go for it, or transfer depending on our own health.  

Agreed. If enough people choose to cancel and defer their holiday by taking FCC the cruises may become unviable to the point where PANDO cancels the cruise. Living in hope.