Prices dropping after the effects of this pandemic!!

1 minute ago, grandgeezer said:

All travel agents aren’t the same, apparently you have found the less than stellar ones. The last cruise we took on Celebrity was two seven day B2Bs on the Equinox, in a Sky Suite, last August. The total cost, with all four perks ( prepaid gratuities for two, premium drink package for two, unlimited internet for two, and $150 p.p. obc) was about $8,300. With an extra obc, for being a loyal customer, we got a fully refundable $1150 that we took home. We always get a minimum of 10% of the cost as a refundable obc. We have had no problem getting a price reduction or changing rooms.

This is a moot point since CC forbids sharing TA information. However you are correct in the fact that I haven't found the Unicorn yet. With that said, I don't sail on exotic month long itineraries, several times a year or in the top suites so I can't expect much. That $250 OBC was a great offer from my big box warehouse plus the $75 obc from Royal Caribbean for a 9 day cruise in the least expensive balcony. 

1 minute ago, CTCruiser76 said:

We used a big box TA that starts with a C and called them tonight about our Oct rebooked cruise - after 35 wait and then another 45 mins with them talking to Royal - we saved 300 on two rooms.....worth the aggravation to me. 

Actually I'm surprised it only took 45 minutes for the TA to get through to Royal all things considered.  I waited on hold for an hour with my big box agency just for them to answer a question. That was on a good day when the world wasn't upside down.  

Been a while since I’ve sailed Royal, but found an Oasis Aqua Suite Cabin for ~$2,400 (per cabin, not per person) all in, sailing 5/31/2020.  That’s probably ⅓-½ tha price I’ve ever seen on one of the best suites on one of Royal’s best ships.

• Like 1

We have a cruise on the Allure booked in August. Every time I see the price drop, I call our agent who then calls Royal. Each time they adjust it. Just called yesterday. Wasn’t on hold long at all.
May end up being canceled, but in case it’s not, want the lowest possible price. Now to decide to wait it out or cancel before final payment due.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Argh!  The cruise I was watching for next Feb has finally went down a couple hundred.  But, alas, I can not book yet :(.  DH has been furloughed for up to 60 days, and we are not 100% his job will still be there.  And, we bought a new vacation home, with buyers lined up for our second one, but alas, in this economy, buyers have fallen through 😞

I know, first world problems!!!  Stay safe my friends!  Can’t wait to see you on the seas again 🙂

On 3/19/2020 at 1:19 AM, graphicguy said:

Been a while since I’ve sailed Royal, but found an Oasis Aqua Suite Cabin for ~$2,400 (per cabin, not per person) all in, sailing 5/31/2020.  That’s probably ⅓-½ tha price I’ve ever seen on one of the best suites on one of Royal’s best ships.

Isn't the Oasis in Jersey?  If so, I wouldn't take that one.  That whole region is a contagion zone, May out of there is too soon.  

That said, yes, great price.   As we have learned, this one spreads fast and stuck in your room would suck!

7 hours ago, young_ens said:

Isn't the Oasis in Jersey?  If so, I wouldn't take that one.  That whole region is a contagion zone, May out of there is too soon.  

That said, yes, great price.   As we have learned, this one spreads fast and stuck in your room would suck!

Don't worry it ain't going to sail. They may as well charge a dollar for that Aqua suite. Nobody will be in it. I think they dropped the price purposely so someone will book. It's after final payment so that means full payment due. By doing so they can hold that money and not refund it for 90 days after the cruise is canceled. That's how you borrow money interest free. If the passenger takes the FCC offer as a refund better yet for Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Don't worry it ain't going to sail. They may as well charge a dollar for that Aqua suite. Nobody will be in it. I think they dropped the price purposely so someone will book. It's after final payment so that means full payment due. By doing so they can hold that money and not refund it for 90 days after the cruise is canceled. That's how you borrow money interest free. If the passenger takes the FCC offer as a refund better yet for Royal Caribbean.

Didn't think of that angle.   Sneaky. 

Speaking of sneaky, let's look at another angle. Let's say a cruiser sees a good price on a category (let's say Junior Suite, for sake of discussion) on a cruise he/she thinks will not sail due to the COVID-19 situation. Really good price, but probably won't sail.

But...might the cruiser book it, figuring that when the cruise is cancelled Royal will rebook them on that ship in the same category at a later date and honor this marked down price?

I haven't such a thing; just wonder whether it'd be a rational strategy (or not) for some folks. 

7 minutes ago, drrich2 said:

Speaking of sneaky, let's look at another angle. Let's say a cruiser sees a good price on a category (let's say Junior Suite, for sake of discussion) on a cruise he/she thinks will not sail due to the COVID-19 situation. Really good price, but probably won't sail.

But...might the cruiser book it, figuring that when the cruise is cancelled Royal will rebook them on that ship in the same category at a later date and honor this marked down price?

I haven't such a thing; just wonder whether it'd be a rational strategy (or not) for some folks. 

I dont think it's a good strategy. Someone this morning asked kind of the same thing, wanted to know if carnival would put them on the same cruise or a longer one for no extra cost. 

I'm just hoping I can use all my fcc credits in this crazy virus world going forward. Lots of people have fccs to use up by the end of next year. I'm used to booking last minute, not more than a year out. Ships will be full of people booking next year to use up fccs. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, drrich2 said:

From what I read about Royal with canceling for charters they don't always give you the same catatory or itinerary at the price you originally paid when you rebook. However I can see someone booking a cruise that they are sure will get canceled to get the extra FCC.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 8:29 PM, MoniMommy said:

Well, I have a refundable deposit. When you book on line there is an option at the end to check for a refundable deposit. However, refundable deposit is NOT available for suites.

I booked a refundable deposit for a JS in Nov

15 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

I booked a refundable deposit for a JS in Nov

I saw it posted earlier, suites gs and up.

A junior suite is nice, but technically not considered a suite by royal and doesnt get suite perks.

But I've had one and it was really a nice cabin on the jewel. Enjoy.

Just tried to log into my pending cruises and also to check out future cruises available.  Got a message that maintenance is being performed, try again after 10:00 AM EST.  So I guess gotta wait over 10 hours, until 11:00 AM Eastern Daylight Savings Time.  Must be some big changes.

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

However I can see someone booking a cruise that they are sure will get canceled to get the extra FCC.

The extra FCC of 25% will cover any increased price difference which would be needed if the initial purchase price was low because of booking way in advance or possibly booking at a great price after final payment during these tough times.

The best one could possibly achieve would be a modest upgrade or maybe a better one if going from a higher demand sailing to a lower demand one.

6 hours ago, drrich2 said:

They only do that for charters.  

• Thanks 1

I’m surprised more people aren’t concerned that Royal will end up filing bankruptcy and neither refunding our money or making good on the FCCs many are opting for.  After seeing Carnival’s SEC filing I look for other cruise lines to be taking similar action which might also include reorganization.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

I’m surprised more people aren’t concerned that Royal will end up filing bankruptcy and neither refunding our money or making good on the FCCs many are opting for.  After seeing Carnival’s SEC filing I look for other cruise lines to be taking similar action which might also include reorganization.   

Under a Chapter 11 reorganization, who knows what would happen to the FCCs. Chapter 11 kills the common stockholders and the debt holders would take a severe haircut, but the company emerges on the other side and continues to operate. Lots of airlines have done this. 

Chapter 7 is liquidation, and then everything goes, the company disappears  and the assets are sold off or scrapped. Think Renaissance cruise line. 

mac_tlc

3 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Maybe because no one has access to their books to see what kind of cash on hand they really have. Ever think of that?

Edited by Jimbo

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The extra FCC of 25% will cover any increased price difference which would be needed if the initial purchase price was low because of booking way in advance or possibly booking at a great price after final payment during these tough times.

The best one could possibly achieve would be a modest upgrade or maybe a better one if going from a higher demand sailing to a lower demand one.

It wouldn't be worth it to me but I can see it beneficial to someone who lives in driving distance to port and can jump on a last minute cruise.

15 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

From what I read about Royal with canceling for charters they don't always give you the same catatory or itinerary at the price you originally paid when you rebook. However I can see someone booking a cruise that they are sure will get canceled to get the extra FCC.

Thor