P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, kalos said:

I will be glad when I get on a cruise ship .No matter which cruise company or ship I choose .

To some people I have sailed on a few Butlins, Rust buckets, blocks of flats.

The full English breakfast and all the other options are said to be repetitive ?? :classic_wacko:

But I don't mind roughing it for a couple of weeks with School dinners :classic_unsure:

We have been on a great many, lots and lots of cruises ,weekends away, flyaways, caravans, camping.....lots..we have enjoyed them all, if they weren't the best, we made the best of them. Some we won't rush back to again. Folks post pictures of the cracked pool tile, or the frayed towel. Next time we don't get pink custard in the MDR, I'll just add some ketchup and get on with important stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We have been on a great many, lots and lots of cruises ,weekends away, flyaways, caravans, camping.....lots..we have enjoyed them all, if they weren't the best, we made the best of them. Some we won't rush back to again. Folks post pictures of the cracked pool tile, or the frayed towel. Next time we don't get pink custard in the MDR, I'll just add some ketchup and get on with important stuff.

I'm the same and loved them all all apart from my camping trip . 

My holiday insurance wouldn't insure my tent . 

They said if it got stolen while I slept in it ... I wouldn't be covered :classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

21 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I know there was a previous discussion on this but my school dinners were braw.

There was a head cook who did what she wanted to do, not what the “school board”  mandated. So we got hearty soups, stew, stovies, potted hough , fish in milk, herring in oatmeal etc and for dessert amazing rhubarb crumble, caramel cake, baked apples and syrup sponge.

We ran about a lot in the cold to burn the excess calories!

Hmmmm, not sure about herring in oatmeal...🤔. Having had a Scottish partner for 26 years, I've heard of many Scots delicacies but what is potted hough please?

37 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Snake and diddly pudding with pink custard. Nothing exotic like that in the MDR.🤣

We never had diddly in our puddings but we sometimes had snake and pigmy pudding for the main course.  Pink custard was special form of torture that we had to endure on coconut cake, I think that I was mentally scarred by school dinners.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today marks the end of an era.  The good news today is that vaccination volunteers will no longer be required locally because the number of people needing vaccination has fallen to a level that is manageable without us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 16

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

Today marks the end of an era.  The good news today is that vaccination volunteers will no longer be required locally because the number of people needing vaccination has fallen to a level that is manageable without us.

Well, a huge thanks to you and all the others who gave so generously of your time!  Difficult to imagine what would have happened without you.

Off for jab number 5 tomorrow. 

• Like 15

30 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Hmmmm, not sure about herring in oatmeal...🤔. Having had a Scottish partner for 26 years, I've heard of many Scots delicacies but what is potted hough please?

It’s cold shinnbone “pate”. It is a meat and jelly paste which is lovely on toast. Boiled to death and the left to set and eaten cold.

It is spelled hough but pronounced potted Hawk so you may have tried it without knowing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wowzz said:

We kept dipping in and out of the ITV Jubilee programme tonight.

Perhaps we missed the good bits, but we just kept seeing various horses wandering around, a few dancers in the middle of a field, and a not very funny comedian.

We gave up and watched a 2016 "Place in the Sun" . The wife wanted space for a donkey and chickens, so they showed them a townhouse apartment - unbelievable! 

We are on NCIS and Babylon 5 at the moment ...

22 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Every one of you should have some sort of recognition for the work you have done for everyone. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Maybe the people who say P&O is like Butlins are the same ones who say the food in the mdr is like school dinners...🤔

The only ship I can think of that came anywhere near worthy of a Butlins at sea label, was our very first cruise on a 4 nighter out of Cape Canaveral on Carnival Carnivale in about 1996, I think.

Mainly because of the way the cruise director compered all the entertainment, an American version of Ted Bovis.

However I doubt that  Butlins berate their customers to remember to tip the waiters and stewards quite as much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The only ship I can think of that came anywhere near worthy of a Butlins at sea label, was our very first cruise on a 4 nighter out of Cape Canaveral on Carnival Carnivale in about 1996, I think.

Mainly because of the way the cruise director compered all the entertainment, an American version of Ted Bovis.

However I doubt that  Butlins berate their customers to remember to tip the waiters and stewards quite as much.

Unable to compare ships with Butlins or Pontins as never been to either, my earliest holidays I remember were to a bungalow my father’s boss owned in Colwyn Bay, he got it as a perk of his job as chauffeur/motor mechanic. Once my parents split up we didn’t really have any family holidays until my mom remarried, then first holiday was to Ibiza in 1972. 

• Like 2

Hello all, just popping in quickly. Actually managed to have a nice trip out to Sissinghurst Castle Garden on Saturday, it was a gorgeous day. Was lucky as yesterday was a damp squib weather-wise!

78D20F05-0C09-4046-BAD0-664FC03D2621.jpeg

4C90FC84-F5B4-408F-847C-7B623221CCC9.jpeg

2DDB960B-DE1F-4969-982A-5FB176E378EC.jpeg

FA785EE7-1883-48D9-A388-1C5302ED8338.jpeg

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello all, just popping in quickly. Actually managed to have a nice trip out to Sissinghurst Castle Garden on Saturday, it was a gorgeous day. Was lucky as yesterday was a damp squib weather-wise!

78D20F05-0C09-4046-BAD0-664FC03D2621.jpeg

4C90FC84-F5B4-408F-847C-7B623221CCC9.jpeg

2DDB960B-DE1F-4969-982A-5FB176E378EC.jpeg

FA785EE7-1883-48D9-A388-1C5302ED8338.jpeg

Were those broccoli and carrot ice creams you were having?😉

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

That’s exactly the reason I have chosen Anthem next year with the grandchildren, plenty for them to do.

We have sailed on Harmony transatlantic with no kids and we loved it. You could always find a quiet space. We sat one night in Central Park area and there was no one else around at all, goodness knows where they all were because the ship was full

Michelle

Central park is our favourite area on Harmony and Allure of the seas.

IMG_20150910_221222.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We have taken the children on many Butlin's holidays at Filey in the late 60's early 70's, and I can definitely state that P&O cruise ships are in no way like like Butlin's. 

Avril

We went to Butlins Ayr twice in the 1960s.

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Well, a huge thanks to you and all the others who gave so generously of your time!  Difficult to imagine what would have happened without you.

Off for jab number 5 tomorrow. 

Great news, I  hope that vulnerable people get vaccinated again quickly.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Britboys said:

There was lots of military music, Scottish Dancers, Irish Dancers, Gregory Porter and Katherine Jenkins.

Missed all of that - just horses and yet more horses,  so we turned over. 

11 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Every one of you should have some sort of recognition for the work you have done for everyone. 

Thank you, we have received thanks from a great number of the people we have dealt with. I and most of the others that I have volunteered with are happy to have been able to help to get to where we are now in terms of getting back to a more normal life.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

No definitely not. It’s painful and shows lack of preparation. She’s the same when she tries to sing the Welsh National Anthem. I think she’s very overrated and her diction can be quite poor in English too. A case of style over substance, 

She's on at Warner's soon and Cunard......Butlins ?. Not sure...🤣

My wife watched it via ITV Hub last night, I dipped in and out as I was in the process of sorting out some problems with her laptop.

Few comments from my wife

Alan Titchmarsh should stick to gardening

Kathryn Jenkins is not the singer she once was

There were lots of horses!

The history bit of the pageant reminded her if the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony, a cheaper version

From me

I liked Omid Djalili as the Herald, especially his quote re State Opening of Parliament which the Queen seemed to appreciate as well as the crowd.

The Top Secret Drum Corps as ever a quality performance on their own, then the performance with the Royal Marines took drumming to a different level. 
There were lots of horses! 

I sorted out the laptop, now working again, a corrupted update was the cause. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

I need to phone Sky today for the 12 to 18 month package price negotiation, which is real pain to go through each time. They sent me a letter a month or so ago with the inflation + 3.7% increase but by chance I looked into my account and this month my contract deal runs out and is due to increase to nearly double what it was in March but no letter or email informing me of this. 

We were due to have new blinds fitted today, the company said they would be here am, what they didn’t say was 8:30 am, we were not quite ready for that. Anyway all 3 blinds installed by 8:50am, excellent service. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I need to phone Sky today for the 12 to 18 month package price negotiation, which is real pain to go through each time. They sent me a letter a month or so ago with the inflation + 3.7% increase but by chance I looked into my account and this month my contract deal runs out and is due to increase to nearly double what it was in March but no letter or email informing me of this. 

Normally, they are quite easy to negotiate with, especially if you threaten to take your custom elsewhere. It is likely they will say you are on an old contract which can be replaced by a cheaper new contract.