P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

When I drove down to Southampton in April I averaged 60mph and achieved 52mpg.

On the way back I averaged 70mph and achieved 42mpg.

This is the best way to combat the high fuel prices.

I was surprised the vast majority of drivers were driving under 70mph on the A1 and M1 motorways.

Over recent weeks i've noticed that traffic is a lot slower than previously on the dual carriageways round here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Over recent weeks i've noticed that traffic is a lot slower than previously on the dual carriageways round here.

Traffic is very different around here in Summer too. To begin with, there’s more of it. Then you get two different types of visitor driving styles. The ones who crawl along, 20-30 mph and brake as they go round every corner, and the nutters who still think they’re on dual carriageways or motorways! I  much prefer the first type even when stuck behind them! Then you get those who just can’t reverse and expect you to reverse every time you meet them along the small narrow lanes and the ones who start tooting when stuck behind farm vehicles and tractors.  They’re just out of their comfort zone, as we are when travelling on motorways and facing huge roundabouts. I nearly cried a fortnight ago when stuck on the Coldra roundabout near Newport. The Ed Sheeran concert caused terrible traffic problems from the Severn Bridge all the way into Cardiff. If I’d known that he was performing, I would have avoided the area! 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Traffic is very different around here in Summer too. To begin with, there’s more of it. Then you get two different types of visitor driving styles. The ones who crawl along, 20-30 mph and brake as they go round every corner, and the nutters who still think they’re on dual carriageways or motorways! I  much prefer the first type even when stuck behind them! Then you get those who just can’t reverse and expect you to reverse every time you meet them along the small narrow lanes and the ones who start tooting when stuck behind farm vehicles and tractors.  They’re just out of their comfort zone, as we are when travelling on motorways and facing huge roundabouts. I nearly cried a fortnight ago when stuck on the Coldra roundabout near Newport. The Ed Sheeran concert caused terrible traffic problems from the Severn Bridge all the way into Cardiff. If I’d known that he was performing, I would have avoided the area! 

It gets like that down here too! Don't forget those that drive in the middle of the lanes . . .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

In the 70's Mum and Dad got the Mirror and News of the world every Sunday. Once on a visit on Sunday, where's the news of the world Mum ?.....Not buying that rag anymore. They had printed a quite nasty story about Mick Jagger. Long memories those Mums.

I've never liked Mars bars,too sweet.

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, purplesea said:

It gets like that down here too! Don't forget those that drive in the middle of the lanes . . .

It’ll soon be *that time* again.  H&H - holidaymakers & haymaking/harvest. It’s ok as long as you don’t need to be anywhere in a hurry.  At least the tractor drivers usually pull in, when possible, to allow the convoy following them to go past

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

How very different from the early 60s, when we used to cycle pretty much every sunny day in the school holidays from Truro to St Agnes, Perranporth, or maybe even Newquay. What a place to grow up!  And the Palace cinema in Truro on wet days if we had the money. 

Long way to school in Falmouth on the bus though!

• Like 2

I jhave ust received an e-mail from P&O advising us that our health declaration, for our Sunday cruise, is ready to be completed. 

But in true P&O IT fashion, I completed them both this morning and have already had the safe to travel confirmation e-mails.😗😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, after deciding to go for a luxury hotel weekend break to celebrate my birthday (thanks to  Saga cancelling our cruise),  by some quirk of fate we have actually booked an appartment in Ilfracombe for a week! 

It looks very plush,  as it should,  considering the price !

Now, all I have to do is worry about is how much petrol will cost in September.  £2.50 a litre ? 

• Like 2

One test drive booked for Monday, another to be booked Saturday, looking at a possible third at some point next week. 

Cars being tested

Renault Captur Hybrid

Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid

Hyundai Kona Hybrid

will be a first for me as all hybrids are automatic and only ever driven manual gear box cars. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

43F86971-ABF5-43ED-BA73-C53448C2762F.jpeg.82361d0ff5b67736a57e3a65f81ba355.jpeg

That really made me laugh.  I have just forwarded the pic to my friend because many years ago as newly weds they brought a labrador puppy and left him in the kitchen while they were out to work. When her husband got home the door from the kitchen to the lounge had a large hole in it and the back of the sofa had been shredded.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

One test drive booked for Monday, another to be booked Saturday, looking at a possible third at some point next week. 

Cars being tested

Renault Captur Hybrid

Hyundai Kona Hybrid

will be a first for me as all hybrids are automatic and only ever driven manual gear box cars. 

I presume the Toyota is self charging as you drive which I see as an advantage but I don’t know whether the other two you mention are the same or whether they are plug in hybrids. Have you thought about a Honda self charging hybrid? I had an ex demo Honda CRV hybrid for about 2.5 years and have just traded it in for a new one. I had never really considered an automatic gearbox until I got one, now I cannot ever see myself going back to a manual.

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I presume the Toyota is self charging as you drive which I see as an advantage but I don’t know whether the other two you mention are the same or whether they are plug in hybrids. Have you thought about a Honda self charging hybrid? I had an ex demo Honda CRV hybrid for about 2.5 years and have just traded it in for a new one. I had never really considered an automatic gearbox until I got one, now I cannot ever see myself going back to a manual.

All self charging hybrids, plug-in not an option as no power to garage. 

The CR is outside of my budget

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Cars being tested

Renault Captur Hybrid

Hyundai Kona Hybrid

You will never want to return to a manual gear change after sampling the delightful ease of an automatic.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Now, all I have to do is worry about is how much petrol will cost in September.  £2.50 a litre ? 

Who knows time will tell , not everything is going up though but all is not what it seems .

I think I have been subject to "Shrinkification "   .It sounds a nice word but it isn't .

This morning sat eating my super toasty bread I've noted it getting thinner by the day .

My packet of sugar free Polo's have got shorter and the mint holes are bigger .

Where will it all end ?  :classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

All self charging hybrids, plug-in not an option as no power to garage. 

The CR is outside of my budget

I have had a Toyota CHR hybrid, thought it was excellent and would be happy with another one, but then we got a dog and need somewhere for him to travel. The CRV has a big hatchback and they fitted a dog guard for it. The luggage goes on the back seat and the dog travels in style in the hatchback. The sacrifices we make for our pets🤔

• Like 2

Morning all,

Hope you are all keeping well

Clear blue sky at present, but another day of showers are forecast. Typical British Summer🙄

Have some bananas that need to be used up so planning on making them into a cake, and have a hospital appointment this afternoon. Planning on walking up, so just hope it doesn't rain. Other than that nothing else planned.

Enjoy your day.

Pam 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning all,

Hope you are all keeping well

Clear blue sky at present, but another day of showers are forecast. Typical British Summer🙄

Have some bananas that need to be used up so planning on making them into a cake, and have a hospital appointment this afternoon. Planning on walking up, so just hope it doesn't rain. Other than that nothing else planned.

Enjoy your day.

Pam 

Beautiful morning here in North Wales as well. 

You must be one of very few people in the South West in walking distance of a hospital.

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Beautiful morning here in North Wales as well. 

You must be one of very few people in the South West in walking distance of a hospital.

It's only a local hospital and my appointment is in a mobile unit. Normally we have to go to Truro or if we are really lucky Penzance!

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I have had a Toyota CHR hybrid, thought it was excellent and would be happy with another one, but then we got a dog and need somewhere for him to travel. The CRV has a big hatchback and they fitted a dog guard for it. The luggage goes on the back seat and the dog travels in style in the hatchback. The sacrifices we make for our pets🤔

I don’t have that problem as we have never had any pets. 

1 hour ago, kalos said:

My packet of sugar free Polo's have got shorter and the mint holes are bigger .

Where will it all end ?  :classic_unsure:

When the polo finally disappears into it's own black hole😉.......

....... and I don't mean your mouth Kalos😁

Avril

• Haha 6

We used to pooh-pooh automatic cars, having been in some in the 'olden days'.  But they have improved so much in recent years, and for the past few years we have had a  MiniCooper, followed by a more sedate Ford Fiesta, and it is such a pleasure to drive using just one foot, (especially when you are recovering from a broken leg) and it runs and accelerates really smoothly.  The other two comparatively recent additions (in small cars)  that I appreciate are aircon and windscreen heating.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lincslady said:

We used to pooh-pooh automatic cars, having been in some in the 'olden days'.  But they have improved so much in recent years, and for the past few years we have had a  MiniCooper, followed by a more sedate Ford Fiesta, and it is such a pleasure to drive using just one foot, (especially when you are recovering from a broken leg) and it runs and accelerates really smoothly.  The other two comparatively recent additions (in small cars)  that I appreciate are aircon and windscreen heating.

Definitely the  windscreen heater, I used to hate scraping the windscreen inside and out on frosty days before starting off. 

I remember my first introduction to aircon back in the 80s on a working visit to South Carolina, when I stepped off the plane and I felt like I had been hit by a very hot, very damp blanket I was dreading getting into a car that had been standing in the sun so was really pleased with the aircon.

• Like 2