P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Yesterday we caught the squirrel (a fairly new face round here as not so many trees.) pinching the sunflower seed heads, amusing to watch him climb up the stalk & fall down with it. Then brazenly sit on the fence with his lunch. Sunny today dh gone for a bike ride with a work mate (not black & decker!) I’ve looked busy brushing the patio. 

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all having a nice Bank Holiday Monday.

We went to Lytham food, drink and craft fair yesterday and dare I say I bought three Christmas presents.

We have just had a walk out with the dogs, hubby is pottering around in the garden. It was my birthday last week and my daughter has booked us into Ribby Hall Spa later for an  evening spa session so looking forward to that.

Take care everyone 

Michelle 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all having a nice Bank Holiday Monday.

We went to Lytham food, drink and craft fair yesterday and dare I say I bought three Christmas presents.

We have just had a walk out with the dogs, hubby is pottering around in the garden. It was my birthday last week and my daughter has booked us into Ribby Hall Spa later for an  evening spa session so looking forward to that.

Take care everyone 

Michelle 

Happy belated birthday Michelle.

LTd57p4jc.gif.bba9f2d7c5e38808057132ba5edaf26d.gif

A spot of advice, please, if you would - I trust the opinions of people in here more than most.

Our daughter shocked herself and us the other day by saying she’s considering whether a cruise might be a good option for her, a husband who’s horrified by the idea, and two children aged 7 and 11. She has some friends who rave on about the benefits and reckon it’s good value for money. 

The friends rate Royal Caribbean very highly for the quality and scale of the children’s activities but they tend to go for inside cabins to keep the cost down. The thought of 4 of us at that age cooped up in one inside cabin fills me with horror - the nearest we got to it was crossing to Denmark once with DFDS. That was only for a few hours, but it wasn’t good.

P&O would probably cost much the same for a balcony I’m guessing, but I’m not sure the children’s facilities are in the same league.

They have no desire just to dump the children in a kids’ club (as my daughter put it, they actually like having the children around and enjoy their company) so they do want them to really enjoy what’s on offer. 

Some of you have good knowledge of both P&O and RCI, and the children’s facilities on each - and the relative cost.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. My knowledge is too limited - cruising was out of the question financially when we were bringing up our children because the Woolwich Equitable Building Society seemed to be taking all our money!

Harry,

We cruised with Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas in 2019 in two panoramic ocean view cabins and we are booked again for 2023 on Anthem of the Seas in two interconnecting ocean view cabins.

In my opinion Royal has so much to offer for the children and would be my first choice every time providing the price isn’t ridiculous of course. I booked for August 2023 in November 2021 and got a great price. I was quoted a similar price for P & O Ventura. We didn’t spend much time in the cabin but it was nice to have a window to look out of and we saw dolphins a few times.

The new ship Arvia looks like it might have a few more children’s activities with the high ropes and escape room.

I think whichever cruise line they choose they will have a wonderful holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have done P&O, Princess and RCI along with our youngest son and family. 

We did Azura when our eldest Grandson was 8 months, and they found the night nursery was ideal, but I think P&O have dropped that currently, and we have no idea what they offer for older children.

We did Princes with both our sons and families, whose ages were 3, 8 and 11 at the time, the 2 eldest girls hated the children's club and only lasted one morning session, however all 3 enjoyed the ship, but probably not the MDR meals, but they were all quite fussy eaters at the time.

RCI we again did with our youngest son and family and their 2 boys were 3 and 8 at the time, and absolutely loved the Splash away Bay on Independence of the seas, they would have spent hours and many pounds in the Arcade area if we had let them, and also enjoyed the rope climbing frame, but were too young for the rock wall, flow rider and the large water flumes, although Splash away Bay does have junior water slides that they really enjoyed. They also have an included pizza restaurant, as well as the MDRs and buffet, the latter has an excellent range of breakfast and lunchtime offerings. Then there are Italian, Steak and Japanese speciality restaurants, the latter with the theatrical hibashi chef cooking your meal, as well as Johnny Rockets burger diner.

RCI  does have some window cabins that overlook the internal Royal Promenade, which might be worth pricing. But unless you book immediately on brochure launch the prices do jump up quite alarmingly, however the economic squeeze might produce some cheap late deals.

Perhaps Harry you have gleaned from the above that RCI is our favourite cruise line for families.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

A spot of advice, please, if you would - I trust the opinions of people in here more than most.

Our daughter shocked herself and us the other day by saying she’s considering whether a cruise might be a good option for her, a husband who’s horrified by the idea, and two children aged 7 and 11. She has some friends who rave on about the benefits and reckon it’s good value for money. 

The friends rate Royal Caribbean very highly for the quality and scale of the children’s activities but they tend to go for inside cabins to keep the cost down. The thought of 4 of us at that age cooped up in one inside cabin fills me with horror - the nearest we got to it was crossing to Denmark once with DFDS. That was only for a few hours, but it wasn’t good.

P&O would probably cost much the same for a balcony I’m guessing, but I’m not sure the children’s facilities are in the same league.

They have no desire just to dump the children in a kids’ club (as my daughter put it, they actually like having the children around and enjoy their company) so they do want them to really enjoy what’s on offer. 

Some of you have good knowledge of both P&O and RCI, and the children’s facilities on each - and the relative cost.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. My knowledge is too limited - cruising was out of the question financially when we were bringing up our children because the Woolwich Equitable Building Society seemed to be taking all our money!

Go for Royal Caribbean with kids.

The bigger ships of theirs have the most facilities.

Oasis class.

Freedom class.

Quantum class.

Voyager class.

The smaller Radiance and Vision class ships have a lot less for kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I also would advise choosing RCI for children rather than P and O as there is so much more for them to do even if they don't go to children's clubs.We have only cruised once on Independance of the Seas and my hubby enjoyed being a big kid on the climbing wall and surf rider. I think an inside cabin would be fine as the children probably won't want to spend much time there. We prefer a balcony cabin nowadays but our first cruise was in an inside cabin on a Princess ship and we were amazed at how much nicer it was than the ferries we had previously been on . Perhaps ask your daughter to ask her friends for recommendations 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

17°C and sunny at the beach when we were watching hang gliders who take off from the cliff in front of us.

We had three of them land on the grass in front of our static caravan on Saturday before the Rhyl air show started. Not the same ones I guess because they would need to have travelled a long way whilst travelling back in time. 

Just glad that the poor Red Arrows pilot who had his canopy smashed by a bird off Rhyl yesterday got back to where they were based safely. A great pity they stopped the display but entirely understandable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pete14 said:

Just glad that the poor Red Arrows pilot who had his canopy smashed by a bird off Rhyl yesterday got back to where they were based safely. A great pity they stopped the display but entirely understandable.

Not sure if the Red Arrows will be around much longer, with the current allegations of bullying and sexual misconduct. Already down to a seven man display team due to suspensions. 

6 hours ago, pete14 said:

We had three of them land on the grass in front of our static caravan on Saturday before the Rhyl air show started. Not the same ones I guess because they would need to have travelled a long way whilst travelling back in time. 

I must admit to having some sympathy for the poor bird.🤔

7 hours ago, zap99 said:

I must admit to having some sympathy for the poor bird.🤔

Reminds me of the old story. The americans were testing a new RR engine and it failed the bird strike test which is firing a chicken into the engine at several hundred MPH. RR's reply was, did you defrost the chickens first? 🙂

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just glad that the poor Red Arrows pilot who had his canopy smashed by a bird off Rhyl yesterday got back to where they were based safely.

So pleased that the pilot is safe and that the plane was landed without harm to anything or anyone. This was members of the same team at the Folkestone Air Display only a couple of weeks ago.

DSC_2495.thumb.jpeg.51998216bf36395f4745b7afe12fa0a1.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not sure if the Red Arrows will be around much longer, with the current allegations of bullying and sexual misconduct. Already down to a seven man display team due to suspensions. 

Without wanting to prejudge outcomes, I am sure they will be back up to nine in the team before long. I am not madly interested in either aeroplanes nor the military but the free display they did on Saturday and the partially completed one on Sunday were incredible and watched and enjoyed by hundreds of thousands in the surrounding area. It would be a shame to lose them.

There were other amazing displays as well, especially a pilot making a typhoon jet do things you really wouldn’t think were possible and at considerable speed. 

• Like 2

Had a lovely weekend in Lincolnshire  with my daughters and their Husbands for one of my Sons in Laws big 0 birthday.  Its not often we can all get together.

Now I'm partially disabled (accident) it's not so easy in pubs, clubs and crowds but I have found people very helpful.

A question..... have other people experienced parent/child role reversal where the child's voice takes  over one of a parent, and it comes over like they are talking to a 6 year old!!!!!!😚🤣😀

In the words or our great Kalos... Just asking the above for a friend!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 7:44 AM, Josy1953 said:

Although we have grey skies it is quite warm so I decided to put the washing out to dry, 5 minutes later the heavens opened and I had to run out to bring it back inside.  My attempt to save electricity by not using the tumble dryer meant that my trousers and top are now being dried in the tumble dryer and I have had to dry and straighten my hair again and I still have to dry everything in the drier so no saving there for me. 🤔🌧

Just done something similar here... thought I'd try the much-recommended 30 degree wash. Unfortunately, it didn't work on two items, which are now enjoying their second wash of the morning, this time at a higher temperature, so it's cost me roughly twice as much as it should have done:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Just done something similar here... thought I'd try the much-recommended 30 degree wash. Unfortunately, it didn't work on two items, which are now enjoying their second wash of the morning, this time at a higher temperature, so it's cost me roughly twice as much as it should have done:classic_rolleyes:

I too have tried the 30 degree wash and end up washing items again!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

A question..... have other people experienced parent/child role reversal where the child's voice takes  over one of a parent, and it comes over like they are talking to a 6 year old!!!!!!😚🤣😀

I hope you did what you were told and behaved yourself 😉

How the tables can turn , I used to think schools should teach useful things such as parenting

skills to children. Then I realised that's not a good idea. Children will immediately realize that

they have bad parents if we did that.

We learn so much as kids from our parents. When I was a kid, my parents would always say

"Excuse my French" after a swear word .I'll never forget that day at school, the look on the

teachers face when she asked me if I knew any French ? 😙

The things parents did for us growing up ,like on my 17th birthday and they surprised me with 

a big sports car . I was lucky ,I saw them first and jumped out of the way.😊

Any way pleased you had a good time at the pub and keep doing what you are told and they 

may take you again with them . Kids eh ? Who would have them 😇😍

Have a good day everyone :classic_love:

Ps  I have just tried  my washing 30.c and I couldn't do it either, I had to turn the central

heating back down ,far too hot for me  😉

• Haha 5