P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

First proper visit to shopping centre since February 2021 when I went for an eye test, a few new shops, but equally a lot of empty units, the biggest of them being the old Debenhams store. I went into Waterstones to get birthday present for grandson, that hasn’t changed, still one of my favourite places to wander around though.

Also noticed the free parking for 30 mins has gone now charged for up to 1 hour even if you had only been there 20 mins. 

As I left had a torrential downpour fortunately got back to car in time, roads going back home were awash with running water and puddles, as leaches was down blocking the drains. Our street was as bad even after road sweeper came yesterday, the overnight wind had undone all their good work.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

First proper visit to shopping centre since February 2021 when I went for an eye test, a few new shops, but equally a lot of empty units, the biggest of them being the old Debenhams store. I went into Waterstones to get birthday present for grandson, that hasn’t changed, still one of my favourite places to wander around though.

Also noticed the free parking for 30 mins has gone now charged for up to 1 hour even if you had only been there 20 mins. 

As I left had a torrential downpour fortunately got back to car in time, roads going back home were awash with running water and puddles, as leaches was down blocking the drains. Our street was as bad even after road sweeper came yesterday, the overnight wind had undone all their good work.

presumably leaves.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Flu injection today for Mrs W and me, in Boots. Our GP surgery has not even started giving out appointment dates as yet, so goodness knows when we would have got them if we had waited.

We did exactly the same thing last week - Boots - although we had been allocated appointments at the GP surgery in late November.

Boots was efficient and easy, unlike our Covid booster at Aspire/NHS the week before.  We booked appointments they day they opened up, for the earliest they were offering which was 11.00 am.  When we arrived at 10.55, the queue was out of the door and it was only then we discovered that booking meant nothing and there was just one line for pre-booked and walk-ins!

Still, grateful to have them both done, especially with the increasing numbers of Covid and possibility of a bad flu season ahead.

Oh and I took the plunge and ordered an Air Fryer today - Tefal Actifry, a Which? best buy.  Now all I have to do is move the  DeLonghi fancy coffee maker which is rarely used, to make way for it.  Both substantial pieces of equipment.  I'm anticipating spending an hour with the instruction manual when it arrives tomorrow.

Edited by mrsgoggins
Addition
  • Like 6

I especially love pictures of fish and chips 👍.  If only I felt the same about salads …….

As I wrote the last sentence, I remembered that there is one restaurant salad I always choose,  or did, until I saw the calorie count was over 1200 for the smaller lunchtime version!  This was in the Cheesecake Factory, a popular US chain.

Your fish and chips Eddie99 was indeed a bargain.  We paid over £8 for a take-out portion near us.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I especially love pictures of fish and chips 👍.  If only I felt the same about salads …….

As I wrote the last sentence, I remembered that there is one restaurant salad I always choose,  or did, until I saw the calorie count was over 1200 for the smaller lunchtime version!  This was in the Cheesecake Factory, a popular US chain.

Your fish and chips Eddie99 was indeed a bargain.  We paid over £8 for a take-out portion near us.

Even at £8 unless it is Pollock is cheap. Our usual chippy is £9-20 for cod or haddock.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, davecttr said:

Sorry to hear about your cough. Same here but feeling better and only one red line this morning, almost, the second one was so faint i could hardly see it 🤞

Can't go for a Costa anyway as the busses are on strike. Plenty of food available but i might have a trip out Sunday as I have to pay the final £50 of the deposit on my xmas 2023 cruise. 

I am going to cancel my Iona January Canary Islands cruise as with various expenses it would mean forking out nearly £3000 which I think would be better spent during the summer season. Plus i have a 14 night Marella fly cruise in Nov/Dec to the Canaries already paid for and Explorer is one of my favourite ships. I do like Iona though and have a 14 nighter on Arvia next April.

We all really like Iona too, Mum & Dad are going on the Jan Canaries cruise that you're cancelling, they're going with some friends who introduced the to cruising years ago.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Have you had a word with the doctor about your cough Sarah? You may need some antibiotics. It's worth a quick phone call just in case. Better safe than sorry.

It'll put my mind at rest as well😉

Take care.x

Avril

Thanks Avril. I haven't called the GP yet, some days it seems like it might be improving and then the next day is bad again. I think I'll give it 4 or 5 days and then see how it is. It's been a busy week so hopefully a lazy weekend will help.

• Like 2

Well, it's been just over 15 hours and we still have no water! The local shops have been short of bottled water but Southern Water at least arranged a water station at the local shopping centre car park during the afternoon and were giving out free bottles of water. We're using the water from the garden water butt to flush the loo every now and again but that's almost empty now 😟

I hope it's back on soon or we'll be using grandson's baby wipes to wash with.

5 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Well, it's been just over 15 hours and we still have no water

We had a text to say because we had no water they would be delivering to us  shortly.

We have had water all day, and no delivery.  No problem round here!

1 minute ago, indiana123 said:

We had a text to say because we had no water they would be delivering to us  shortly.

We have had water all day, and no delivery.  No problem round here!

Typical 🤣

It was a 12" pipe that had burst out near Lidsing/ Capstone after a sink hole appeared overnight but my parents live in Hempstead and they've had no problems. Our daughter lives the other side of Deanwood Drive to us and she doesn't have water either.

Southern Water said a few hours ago that it was fixed but still no water!

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I live near Lonsdale drive and there has been no problem today. just filled the kettle for my evening cuppa

That's good! We must be on a different water main.

Ours has just come back on after almost 16 hours, it's looking quite murky though so will keep using the bottled water until it comes through clear. Quite a relief! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s been a really lovely sunny day

We had a bargain £6.50 fish & chips

E7FE44F5-1692-4CBB-9D0B-CA5B20D76D1A.thumb.jpeg.57ca21b0b9a3263594482a8fe40f3faa.jpeg

96FE8784-5DC3-488C-B131-48F106D65722.thumb.jpeg.11d4e2aca8380d8c500a4d531844e9c5.jpeg

Then there was cabaret!

1DA9D2E9-20D7-4A74-80C8-203808075BCA.MOV 3 MB · 4 downloads  

Then the forecast rain front passed through 

6E56C09E-230D-4BE7-AAF9-6C0EDE8D7E79.thumb.jpeg.72c48d791edd6e288ab53ed7703dc81a.jpeg

So we had a second drink and it passed over.

Now back, dry and there’s a lovely pink sky 

Probably broke even on the fish and chips,  but made money on the wine. Glad you  had a second glass, so as to give the pub/restaurant more profit. 

• Like 2

Temps here in Surrey dropped to 7˚C last night. The inside temps fell by 3˚C to 20˚C. However, still no heating on. Today the cooker hood will be switched to the carbon filters to recirculate warm air back into the house, a new insulated letter box will be fitted and one kitchen window will be cleaned down ready for some draft-proofing. Curtains will remain closed this morning until there is some sunshine... which should be from about 8.30 am. Evening meals are now ever-so-romantic with candles... each producing 80 watts of heat and light.

Ah yes... we still remember the "good old days"... no central heating, no fitted carpets, no double glazing, no loft insulation and no heating in any of the bedrooms or the bathroom. We still remember sleeping in rooms at below freezing and waking the next morning to scrape the ice-ferns off the inside of the bedroom windows. Those were the days we used to dress in the morning... socks were de riguere... vests were practical items of underwear rather than "statements" and there was no lounge wear or onesies on the sofa!

We still remember the clouds of steam in front of our faces over breakfast. Way back in the "good old days"... no electric kettles, no hot running water until the baxi-burner was lit but then there was no mobile phones, no internet, no computers, no calculators, no Sky, no Netflix and only the really affluent could afford tiny little cabinets containing cathode ray tubes which could, for a few hours each day, produce a grainy, grey, fitful image send by some alchemy from the only TV channel in the country. The rest of us had the wireless! 

Ah yes... we still remember the "good old days"... so... a pullover for breakfast and an extra-warm mug of coffee just doesn’t seem so bad!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Temps here in Surrey dropped to 7˚C last night. The inside temps fell by 3˚C to 20˚C. However, still no heating on. Today the cooker hood will be switched to the carbon filters to recirculate warm air back into the house, a new insulated letter box will be fitted and one kitchen window will be cleaned down ready for some draft-proofing. Curtains will remain closed this morning until there is some sunshine... which should be from about 8.30 am. Evening meals are now ever-so-romantic with candles... each producing 80 watts of heat and light.

Ah yes... we still remember the "good old days"... no central heating, no fitted carpets, no double glazing, no loft insulation and no heating in any of the bedrooms or the bathroom. We still remember sleeping in rooms at below freezing and waking the next morning to scrape the ice-ferns off the inside of the bedroom windows. Those were the days we used to dress in the morning... socks were de riguere... vests were practical items of underwear rather than "statements" and there was no lounge wear or onesies on the sofa!

We still remember the clouds of steam in front of our faces over breakfast. Way back in the "good old days"... no electric kettles, no hot running water until the baxi-burner was lit but then there was no mobile phones, no internet, no computers, no calculators, no Sky, no Netflix and only the really affluent could afford tiny little cabinets containing cathode ray tubes which could, for a few hours each day, produce a grainy, grey, fitful image send by some alchemy from the only TV channel in the country. The rest of us had the wireless! 

Ah yes... we still remember the "good old days"... so... a pullover for breakfast and an extra-warm mug of coffee just doesn’t seem so bad!

You forgot Joey chipping the ice off his little water fountain... dad, the budgies frozen to his perch....

...and then came the delight of an all night burner for our coal fire, pure bliss

• Like 2

Well, we were planning to take a walk along the Trent, to the next village today,  for a lunchtime pint.

But then I realised that Harry would be along shortly to point out that 91.3% of those people who die when walking, are over 63 years old, so we are going to stay in and watch a repeat of Midsomer Murders instead ! Don't want to take any risks at our age.

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, Caullkhead said:

On a positive note, spent the morning looking through photos as it’s my big sisters 60th tomorrow, found all sorts of lovely memories! 

Happy 60th birthday to your sister.

98A89CFC-4E2D-43FB-9727-12DBCD01770C.jpeg.fe4ce792e3b1f28a21a73e03e616a64e.jpeg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3