P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

we’ve still got draws full of cd’s which rarely come out, used to download them on the iPod, but ds introduced us to Apple Music so we tend to use that. However we have been re collecting our vinyl after getting rid of them 16 years ago to the charity shop ( after transferring them to mini disk, remember them?)  Dh has picked up several decent turntables, including a seventies Sony music centre, similar to one I had handed down to me via my sister, which sounds great although it’s a beast! I used to laugh when dh said vinyl sounds better. I had a cd separate (Sony) before him, but have to agree there’s something about it. Tape? no!! 

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree with you. I avoid having my picture taken whenever possible. ''The camera adds 10lbs'' so it's said, but if that's true why does Frank always look like the 'Silver Fox' and I look like Mrs Blobby?😒

Avril

Sis,can't you buy one of those air brushes in Boots,bro.

• Haha 2

Going to a Turkish/Med restaurant tonight with my Mrs.Pre 70 celeb.Tomorrow,pushing the boat out,not too far as it's on the seafront at Margate.Taking son and daughter with families to Premier inn and Brewers Fayre next door.

• Like 5

Should have looked up Deanna before - my mother disagreed that I looked like her, and so do I, looking at her photos.

I had stronger features and a thinner face - anyway, enough of this particular rubbish now.  Didn't want you all to imagine I was so 'pretty'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

It is not so much looking fatter (though I do, like everyone), it is just that even as a girl I had the sort of face that was considered attractive by some people, but looked plain on photos.  I think it may be the lack of noticeable cheekbones, which oddly enough are now more visible with my thinner older face!  One of my mother's friends said I looked like Deanna Durbin, who was an old star even when I was young. I bet most of you have not even heard of her; I think she was a singer.

It hardly matters now - I am not going to be going on one of those looking for a partner sites!!

Is anyone else having difficulty posting on here today? I tried to add a comment on here earlier!

I too do not like having my photo taken. I never look right!  There used to be a customer when I was working in Tescos that insisted that I looked like Rita Hayworth, but I couldn't see the resemblance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

How technology has moved on over the years.

I remember traipsing up to Tottenham Court Road to buy my first CD player over 30 years ago.  A Marantz which cost about a months salary at the time.  Might have been more.

All my old CDs are downloaded on the laptop and backed up to an external hard drive.  The CDs themselves are gathering dust on nice wooden CD rack.  As people have said, you can barely give them away, but they're not taking up needed space so hanging on to them for nostalgic purposes.

Tottenham Court Road - happy memories! Used to spend hours there when the wife was looking at clothes and stuff. Wall to wall hi fi, and unbeatable prices. Always prepared to haggle too!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lincslady said:

It is not so much looking fatter (though I do, like everyone), it is just that even as a girl I had the sort of face that was considered attractive by some people, but looked plain on photos.  I think it may be the lack of noticeable cheekbones, which oddly enough are now more visible with my thinner older face!  One of my mother's friends said I looked like Deanna Durbin, who was an old star even when I was young. I bet most of you have not even heard of her; I think she was a singer.

It hardly matters now - I am not going to be going on one of those looking for a partner sites!!

On here, you always come across as extremely nice, friendly and pleasant. The way you are counts far more than how you photograph!  🙂

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Tottenham Court Road - happy memories! Used to spend hours there when the wife was looking at clothes and stuff. Wall to wall hi fi, and unbeatable prices. Always prepared to haggle too!

I bought my first cd player from Richer Sounds  ( what a great company) in Aldershot, around 1990. If I remember, a Denon.

And my first two CDs - Dire Straits and Mozart ( no idea why !).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

I bought my first cd player from Richer Sounds  ( what a great company) in Aldershot, around 1990. If I remember, a Denon.

And my first two CDs - Dire Straits and Mozart ( no idea why !).

As you say, a great company, with a great ethos and great customer service. I remember their first shop back in the 70s just off London Bridge station but we didn't have any money then.  The Woolwich Equitable took most of it.

Better prices than John Lewis, hugely better customer service, and refundable six year warranties if there's no claim - free on TVs.  They must have taken a lot of JL's TV and electrical trade away - certainly all ours!  Ironic that Julian Richer ended up doing much the same thing as the original John Lewis by giving away a large part of the business to his employees - a really decent bloke in everything he's done with Richer Sounds.  I can't think of another company that size with such high ethical standards.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, brian1 said:

Going to a Turkish/Med restaurant tonight with my Mrs.Pre 70 celeb.Tomorrow,pushing the boat out,not too far as it's on the seafront at Margate.Taking son and daughter with families to Premier inn and Brewers Fayre next door.

Hope you had a great night out with your family .

Oh and ...     70th-birthday-71.gif.061a6edee6b3edd64453a9a058d90431.gif

A 70 year old man asked his wife: "Now I'm 70,would you feel upset if you saw me running after all the young ladies ?"
Wife replied "No love, even dogs chase cars they can't drive."😀

All the best Brian 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cheers guys,the original man and woman at C&A.1787014048_20221028_174947928.thumb.jpg.07d6a55deafe90cc37727ee2cc967f4a.jpg551750422_20221028_175038927.thumb.jpg.67c5d054d7c792d38ff3339c0d98f0a8.jpg

Both looking good Brian 👍.  As a one-time ‘Saturday girl’ in C&A in the early seventies when I was a student in Manchester, I can say it wasn’t as fashionable as the two of you look - even side on 😉. Happy birthday from me too, currently in rural France.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 7:16 PM, Presto2 said:

Happy 21st Graham. All the best people are born in October! I have the last one with a 5 at the beginning on Saturday 😞

Happy Birthday as well to Presto2. Have a great Stokie day today. 

Charlie says ‘Up the Vale’ but I am not sure he has quite mastered that phrase yet 🐶😻

Edited by pete14
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm joining the Cruise Critic Ninja Warriors today,  Foodi 9 in 1 being delivered later.

Being a bit of a technophobe I will need a good cookbook but most of the Ninja ones on Amazon say they are in black and white with no pictures.  Can someone on here with a Ninja recommend a good cookbook.  Thank you.

• Like 2

Harry - you are very kind, but I am truly not bothered about not being photogenic.  I am old and wise enough now to take myself as I am, as I try to do with everyone else.  And it is pretty easy to be 'nice' on this thread, since almost everyone is.  A pleasant change from some of the insults hurled on other boards which shall be nameless!  

• Like 11