P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We know Lincoln very well... family on one side came from Lincoln...Grandfather was an iron-founder who made some of the parts for the first tank. We also know a little bit about rough sleeping... one of us having been a sub-team leader in a project designed to help rough-sleepers off the street, into emergency accommodation with access to health services, social support  and so on.

Lincoln had a pretty good service including an outreach programme that tours the streets in the early hours offering all manner of  help, support and assistance. There's also a response line than anyone can call who have a concern about rough sleepers and can often initiate and immediate response with help, care and assistance when needed. 

On Wednesday of this week London activated the Severe Weather Protocol, opened extra shelters for rough sleepers which also have access to warm clothing, showers, doctors, food and other essentials. We know that for all manner of reasons, some rough sleepers will not accept help, will not use the shelters but there are people on the streets to help them. One faith group run an outside catering truck just off Trafalgar square. Another group from the "north" Midlands sets up above the Temple tube with hot soup, drinks, food, clothing and blankets. We've even seen youngster buying food and hot drinks in Blackfriars Station and giving them to a rough sleeper on the pavement outside. Schools, colleges and charity organisations run a rota to deliver food and to befriend rough-sleepers in parts of central London... supermarkets donate tons of unsold food. 

People do care, often with a passion so great that they will stint themselves, even sacrifice their own Christmas to help others... not just to be warm, fed, freshly clothed... but to give them hope and inspiration to grab the chance to move on... it really isn't about giving "down & outs" a turkey sarnie and a glass of muller wine at Christmas... it's all about giving folk in horrendous situations back their self-esteem and feeling of self-worth which will enable them to be welcome members of a civilised society again.

A great post.  There has been a bit of a furore up here about some of the food trucks which operate in the city centre at night not meeting the new LEZ standards - one company has had to crowd fund to replace a fridge truck to deliver the food into town (evidently they only acquired it in 2022).    I am in total awe of those who operate and work in the outreach programmes.  I volunteer at a local food bank and am often amazed at the number of people who don’t even own a cooker and can only be given things like pot noodles.    Indeed how lucky we are.  Lincslady - I hope you enjoy as many toddies as you like over the winter!🥃

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There was a massive water leak in our close this morning at 5.30am.

The water board are still here having dug out the leaking pipe.

The temperature has started to drop again too. It will be treacherous by morning. Luckily you won't have to go to work.

• Like 3

We are now eventually going , been delayed for a number of reasons but hayho, unpacked and sat in crows nest with a glass of bubbly and ready for dinner, had to film the md to change my dinner time to 8.30 but we couldn’t get a table for 2 so we have a table for 4 but a lot better than 6.30 sitting and a table for 8😡 I took some pictures for you folk that like Xmas , I actually thought there would be more decoration around only 1 tree in crows nest 

IMG_4611.jpeg

IMG_4612.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4610.jpeg

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

We are now eventually going , been delayed for a number of reasons but hayho, unpacked and sat in crows nest with a glass of bubbly and ready for dinner, had to film the md to change my dinner time to 8.30 but we couldn’t get a table for 2 so we have a table for 4 but a lot better than 6.30 sitting and a table for 8😡 I took some pictures for you folk that like Xmas , I actually thought there would be more decoration around only 1 tree in crows nest 

IMG_4611.jpeg

IMG_4612.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4610.jpeg

Have a great cruise

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

The ship feels so small now to us , it’s been 20 years since we were last on her but for some reason we still keep getting lost at the moment, 20 years ago we thought she was big 😂😂

Have a fantastic time!!! Post some pics to cheer us all up

Michelle

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

The ship feels so small now to us , it’s been 20 years since we were last on her but for some reason we still keep getting lost at the moment, 20 years ago we thought she was big 😂😂

There are one or two strange dead ends on Aurora, and for wheelchair users a couple that also end in stairs. I know there are plenty of posters on here that love the old ship, but for us the newer bigger ships, with far more accessible benefits, suit us far better than Aurora.

• Like 3

Good morning!

It feels like -3˚C outside and the forecast is for -4˚C later.

Grocery delivery today and then off to Dorking to see Andre Rieu's Christmas extravaganza. We once went to his New Year's concert in Koln... that was really good.

Our DIY "gala" dinner this evening...a hang-over from the days of "lock up yer grannies" and has hints of St Andrew's Day... smoked salmon, Aberdeen/Angus Ribeye followed by a homemade apple and blaeberry crumble. All good warming comfort food... mostly banned by the dietitian,,, but guilty pleasures tend to be far more enjoyable!

In days of yore we sang "keep young and beautiful" now it's "keep warm and cheerful!"🤣😆

Definitely a two pair of woolly socks day!!!

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

Currently -4C feels like -8C and misty here this morning 🥶🥶 If I have to go out this morning it will be wearing the “ski” jacket I brought for a winter holiday in 2019, full thermals and thick socks.

Will put up the Christmas 🎄and decorations this weekend, not looking forward to going into loft though. 🥶

• Like 6

Morning -4 here as well with -6 chill.

Went for a romp around Cherry lane garden centre to see their Christmas display .

Just as good I had the bank card and not Mrs K or we would have been the proud owners of at least half a dozen new Christmas  trees and endless decorations .

I get nervous when I hear the words "  Look at this ,,Thats lovely "

Have a good day 🙂

9 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Will put up the Christmas 🎄and decorations this weekend, not looking forward to going into loft though. 🥶

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Very cold outside, not that I've been out and no intention to. I booked another cruise yesterday. Kept looking at the Black Friday deals and found a suite onboard the Azura for Jan 26, 14 nights, with a total of £550 OBC, flying from Manchester for just under £2000 pp. It's a long way off but something else to look forward to.

Christmas decoration day, got everything out of the garage yesterday so it will keep Marie quiet !!

• Like 9

A cold and frosty morning here, unseasonally so for us at 0c but with the chill factor of -4c. 

Just received a phone call from my youngest daugher, instead of asking if can I take her to work, she's asked if she can borrow my car to get to work tonight. At least I won't need to take another trip to Truro.

Christmas decorations don't normally go up until the middle of December. Mum's birthday is then and they always used to go up the weekend after, so I suppose the tradition has stuck!

Hope everyone has a good weekend, stay safe and warrm.

• Like 7

Good Morning Everyone

It's -2 degrees and very misty where I am - in fact it's got worse since I got up this morning.  

So I'm sat here watching tv and caught the start and first day of Kevin Sinfield's latest Ultra-Marathon project to raise even more money for the Rob Burrow MND Foundation. Seven marathons in seven days. This man has already raised £8 million for MND. He's a true legend in a time when that word is thrown about loosely and I hope he gets the Knighthood he richly deserves.

For those of you just embarking on cruises have a great time.

For those of you driving in icy conditions take great care of yourselves.

Have a good weekend everyone.  Best wishes.  Jane xx

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone

It's -2 degrees and very misty where I am - in fact it's got worse since I got up this morning.  

So I'm sat here watching tv and caught the start and first day of Kevin Sinfield's latest Ultra-Marathon project to raise even more money for the Rob Burrow MND Foundation. Seven marathons in seven days. This man has already raised £8 million for MND. He's a true legend in a time when that word is thrown about loosely and I hope he gets the Knighthood he richly deserves.

For those of you just embarking on cruises have a great time.

For those of you driving in icy conditions take great care of yourselves.

Have a good weekend everyone.  Best wishes.  Jane xx

Agree entirely re Kevin Sinfield and a knighthood. I’m sure if he were to donate some of the money to a certain political party the knighthood will be forthcoming!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Morning -4 here as well with -6 chill.

Went for a romp around Cherry lane garden centre to see their Christmas display .

Just as good I had the bank card and not Mrs K or we would have been the proud owners of at least half a dozen new Christmas  trees and endless decorations .

I get nervous when I hear the words "  Look at this ,,Thats lovely "

Have a good day 🙂

We went to the local garden centre to have a look at the Christmas things. Looking at the prices, the phrase we used most was " they're having a laugh ".

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We went to the local garden centre to have a look at the Christmas things. Looking at the prices, the phrase we used most was " they're having a laugh ".

In Basingstoke at the mo.The Range has half the store dedicated to Xmas goodies,never seen so much anywhere.

• Like 1