P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

We're very blowy down in Bracknell at the moment but these storms do make me laugh sometimes... I've been chasing garden furniture round for most of the evening to (unsuccessfully) try to secure it, dragged a wheelie bin full of water up to the back fence to stop it blowing down, the wind has caught the roof of the mini greenhouse and almost taken that off yet the one thing that won't budge is a rickety old plastic table no heavier than a bag or two of sugar..  😂

• Haha 6

The lights are flickering here, hopefully it won’t go out.

We are travelling in a few hours time so I can’t be bothered setting up the petrol generator. I’m off for a shower now just in case and setting up an old fashioned manual alarm clock.

The wind is battering the trees in the garden and whistling down the chimneys.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone.  I hope that you have all got through the night without too many problems and that you all have power this morning.  I was woken a few times by the wind but we still have power so we can't moan.

Take care if you have to go out.

• Like 11

Woke up at just before 6 feeling hungry, realised that hadn’t had much to eat since lunchtime yesterday so probably no surprise.

Had a good nights sleep, the wind seemed to die down at around 10pm last night, so didn’t get woken by it in the night. Usually when windy the trees over the road in churchyard shed a few branches in the road, looking outside there is virtually nothing this time, very odd, perhaps it all fell the other side of the wall. Once daylight returns might beep able to tell more.

Hopefully my greenhouse survived the night, its predecessor was destroyed by gales around 14 years ago. The security cameras show that my neighbours damaged fence survived Isha, which surprised me and probably my Neighbours.

• Like 5

Good Morning All

I hope you all survived Isha without too much damage. What a wild night it was. Compared to a lot of you, Hertfordshire got off very lightly - just a lot of rain, a wild wind and a bit of tree damage. 

I hope @Eglesbrech got away safely and the flight wasn't too scary.

Have a good day everyone and stay safe.  Jane xx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It was a pretty rough night here, but I suspect Dorset fared better than many areas. I was awake until around 3am listening to it gust.
Strangely Freddie showed no inclination to visit the garden during the night!

I hope everyone is safe with not much damage.

Gill x

• Like 9

No real problems here in Lincs., and son in Cumbria has not lost power, thank goodness.  (Not so far anyway).  I do dread it happening, especially after dark, as it did about two months ago.  The worst thing is not knowing how long it might last - half an hour or all night.  Luckily it was only 40 minutes.  I now have a reliable torch by my bed, and one by the landline phone in the kitchen, with the emergency no. on hand  to phone the network for news.  They have been helpful so far, usually saying longer than it actually takes to come back.

• Like 9

How the three way  temporary traffic lights near us and all the signs survived I don't know, but they did.

Yesterdays family lunch went great, everyone chipped in moving table etc   and carrying hot dishes which I can't do.  After a lovely laughter filled family lunch it all went into reverse and all was cleared in   a few minutes.They knew I am off for a few days (all inclusive!!😃) so made sure everything was done.  It still embarrasses me a bit when they do things I would have done in a heartbeat, but hey ho, they understand.

I will not overeat or drink on my break, I will not overeat or drink on my break.    Who am I trying to kid.   Just myself!🙃

• Like 14

We lost power just after 9 last night, and it was restored around 6 this morning. Then my husband went down the track and a tree had fallen, blocking the road. So back home, collect JCB and he managed to clear the road. Well things happen in threes so …..  just before lunch, I heard a hissing noise coming from the utility and lo behold, a water leak. Rushed to turn off the water supply, facetimed my husband (luckily within signal today) to show the offending pipe, and now he’s gone to the nearest supplier (20 miles away) to get some replacement pipes. He’s a builder so can do the work when he gets home. 

• Like 12

Walking thru the town this afternoon a large bouncy toy blew off a balcony above the shops.It bounced right in front of a bloke pushing his kid in a pushchair.The kid must have thought it was Christmas again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Got brussel tops with our roast tonight.Love them.we can only get them in Romford market, 3 quid for 2lb,they used to be a lot cheaper than that.We got a 30 day matured 10 oz double reduced fillet steak in Sainsbury for a fiver and a pack of large scallops for 3 quid.Feel a gourmet meal coming on this weekend,lol.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Got brussel tops with our roast tonight.Love them.we can only get them in Romford market, 3 quid for 2lb,they used to be a lot cheaper than that.We got a 30 day matured 10 oz double reduced fillet steak in Sainsbury for a fiver and a pack of large scallops for 3 quid.Feel a gourmet meal coming on this weekend,lol.

My mate 'Grubby' used to work on the veg stall on Romford market, (pand o' mush 50) I worked for 'Peter the Pleater'... 

Andy

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

My mate 'Grubby' used to work on the veg stall on Romford market, (pand o' mush 50) I worked for 'Peter the Pleater'... 

Andy

Cheers mate,bit of a farce yesterday with the Irons.

• Like 2

Quiet here at the moment, but forecast of rain and strong winds for later today as Storm Jocelyn follows hot on the heels of Storm Isha. Already 10 named Storms and it’s still only January, 11 is the U.K. record, made in 2015-16, with Henry, Imogen, Jake and Katie all occurring in February and March, so possible record could be broken.

The downside to this is we could see yet another hike in Home Insurance cover as payouts for storm damage increase. 

• Like 7

Well we got away thankfully and are ensconced in the sun (the big yellow thing in the sky that emits heat for those of you who have forgotten as I almost had).

Sitting watching the waves with a pinacolafa in hand with extra cherries.

Hope you are all well.

• Like 16

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well we got away thankfully and are ensconced in the sun (the big yellow thing in the sky that emits heat for those of you who have forgotten as I almost had).

Sitting watching the waves with a pinacolafa in hand with extra cherries.

Hope you are all well.

That is great news!!! I am not jealous at all!!

Hope you have a lovely time 

Michelle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1