P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

The postman delivered bad news this morning in the form of a notification of change in use for the neighbouring 5 bedroom house that was sold in February.

The owners (not yet moved in) have applied for planning permission to extend it for use as a care home.  We now have to fill in a form online to explain our objections to the plan.  The people next to us are furious because they think that the extension will mean that the new people will be able to see into their bedroom.  For us it means that our previously very private garden will be visible to the new people so no more nude sunbathing 🤣

I have just filled out the objection form on the council site but I  doubt that it will make a difference.  DH thinks that we should put our bungalow up for sale and move out of the area so he is now busy looking at estate agents and has already arranged for 2 agents to come and give us valuations next week. 🤔

Meet with your local councillors to call in the application that will ensure it’s not decided my a planning, best do it as a group of residents.

Make sure your objections are on planning grounds, when I was a councillor I saw many objections such as “it will devalue my house”, or “loss of the view”, these won’t be considered by planning officials or a committee.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Meet with your local councillors to call in the application that will ensure it’s not decided my a planning, best do it as a group of residents.

Make sure your objections are on planning grounds, when I was a councillor I saw many objections such as “it will devalue my house”, or “loss of the view”, these won’t be considered by planning officials or a committee.

Very good advise from Snow Hill.

Look at the fire regulations as well. How will they evacuate from what is essentially a domestic property, is there space for fire escape ramps etc.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Same cul-de-sac.  

We are in the worst position because it is L shaped and we are in the corner of the L so the side of the house involved is next to our front garden.  There is currently  a 12 ft high conifer hedge inside their garden but the plans show that it will be removed so that they can put a path between the extrension and our 6ft high fence.

The people in the house in the street below us have told DH that they have also filled in the form to the council because it will affect their privacy too.

Work backwards Josy. Find out what would stop permission. Then start your objections using the guidelines.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have the ex-Lord Mayor living in our street but he says that it is a conflict of interest for him so he can't get involved.

Find out who the applicant is. It could be a councillor. A lot of very bad planning applications have been dubiously passed in our area

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, happy v said:

Find out who the applicant is. It could be a councillor. A lot of very bad planning applications have been dubiously passed in our area

If not a councillor, they could me a relation in some way to a councillor. I've also known it being a relation of a counciller, who had a building company that would be doing work. You need to look deeper.

Have you thought about everyone who is affected by this hiring a solicitor. You could share the bill?

I really do feel for you Josy. x

Avril

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Yes, it needs to break planning rules to be refused without argument.  It sounds as if it well might, with all the things associated with a care home.  You will need sound legal advice by lawyers who know the planning rules, and if there are a group of you it may not cost too much between you.  And it is more than possible that there has been -  to put it politely  - some favouritism going on.  That was almost certainly the case with the one I won on, though it never got to formal accusations.  Sadly, there are dodgy people in lots of councils and planning departments.

• Like 8

We had a notice from our council once and it said our back gardens were to be dug up and new sewer pipe to be installed at a cost shared by six houses.

Only one person was getting blocked pipes since he had his cowboy mates mess about with his property. 

Soon found out his newly elected to the council aunt Beryl had signed this off.

A quick letter fired off to the council, letting them know 

tha we were aware that Beryl was a relative and the work needed was not passed by any water board they had done.

Never heard anything about it since.

So as others say start digging who is behind any proposed planning. 

• Like 9

20 hours ago, DamianG said:

Has your autocorrect changed that from singlet hold all? 😉

There's nothing thong with that.

• Haha 3

Seems to be a laid back day on here today  hope everyone  is happy 😊 Days are good when we can think of anything, like..

If a cannibal decided to go vegan/vegetarian.  

Would that be classed as a No Brainer ?? 😉

• Haha 7

Very busy day here trying to finalise our accounts before going on my wanderings.  Sending best wishes to all who are unwell and on the road to recovery.

Had very sad news this morning in that my last remaining blood auntie died at the grand old age of 99, only three months off her century.  Now I am in a panic as I will miss her funeral on 31st May as I go away on the 24th.  My husband has assured me he will attend on our behalves but it's not quite the same.  

To cheer me up Dutch Decoy is declared to run at York on Thursday.  Hopefully he will finally get his head in front for the first time this year.

• Like 11

Don’t know about anyone else but I have been busy planting herbs. Some of the old ones are a bit woody so I’ve put in a new lot for cooking.

Just finished making bread and a mushroom stroganoff. My don’t I live an exciting life.

Hope you are all having a nice day.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Very busy day here trying to finalise our accounts before going on my wanderings.  Sending best wishes to all who are unwell and on the road to recovery.

Had very sad news this morning in that my last remaining blood auntie died at the grand old age of 99, only three months off her century.  Now I am in a panic as I will miss her funeral on 31st May as I go away on the 24th.  My husband has assured me he will attend on our behalves but it's not quite the same.  

To cheer me up Dutch Decoy is declared to run at York on Thursday.  Hopefully he will finally get his head in front for the first time this year.

That’s a real shame about your Aunt MB, my condolences.

You may miss the funeral but you will be there in spirit and can have your own private remembrances on the day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Mushroom stroganoff for us today too.  I haven’t made it yet though.  I’m being lazy - feet up watching IPL cricket for a little while.  Completed my 10,000 steps (and quite a few more) this morning, so I’m allowed

Megabear - my condolences for your aunty.  I hope, at nearly 100, she had a gentle passage to whatever might come next.  Raise a glass of something wonderful to her at the time her funeral takes place.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Seems to be a laid back day on here today  hope everyone  is happy 😊 Days are good when we can think of anything, like..

If a cannibal decided to go vegan/vegetarian.  

Would that be classed as a No Brainer ?? 😉

That's an offal joke Kalos.

• Haha 12

@Megabear2 sorry to read your sad news but if she's had a long  happy healthy life,until now. Then take comfort from that.

I suppose  there is never a good time for our loved ones to say goodbye.  Take care.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Oh I’m so sorry MB, it doesn’t matter when we lose a precious relative or friend, we still grieve for our loss. My suggestion would be to see if you can attend virtually (I did this the other week).

Gx

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your Auntie.

I spent a lot of time phoning customers and sorting through paperwork.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry to hear about your Auntie, sending you and your family my condolences

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry to hear about your loss perhaps you can raise a glass when you are away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Megabear2 I am very sorry to hear your sad news about your aunt. As others have said, you can celebrate her life in your own way whilst onboard. Not being at her funeral physically in no way detracts from the respects you will pay her privately. Jane xx

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Mushroom stroganoff for us today too.

Mine is a slow cooker version so you can bung it on and leave it to cook all day. I prefer working in the morning.

I had trouble getting porcini mushroom powder which I usually bring back from Italy but and eventually got it on Amazon.

Hope you enjoyed yours.

Good morning everyone.  Our turn to get the damp and cool weather this morning.  I look at the BBC weather right here before deciding whether to put on the cotton or the warm dressing gown to go to make the morning mug of tea.  Warm one today.

I hope we all have a good day, or as good as possible, and that everyone who is not well is getting better.

• Like 10