P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Tried to book a Villa holiday in Menorca today, it comes with car hire, seeking some clarification around the size of car included I tried the chat, after a few minutes of annoying the chstbot go connected to an agent, who went through what type of car we could expect, and we could upgrade should we wish for an additional sum. I asked was there an upper age limit, was told they impose an upper limit of 70 years of age as this is what rental companies impose.  So I couldn’t book as I would be 72 and my OH 71 when the holiday would be taken. I noted who they booked car rentals with and contacted one of the who said after checking they don’t impose an upper age limit in Spain. So why are the red smiley tour operator imposing at 70 limit.

Tomorrow I will drop into local travel agent and discuss holiday options with them, if unsuccessful we will go back to original plan of booking a cottage in France and driving there ourselves.

Well the visit to local TA was a short one, the vast majority of travel companies have 70 as an upper age limit, will often push it to 71 if you reach that age after you have booked, but as will be 72 when we would be going, the answer is no. Apparently it’s the cost of insurance that is the reason for this age discrimination, likewise at other end it’s usually 25 before you can hire a car and 30 for some models.

So we have a few choices

1. seek out a suitable AI hotel and use bus if we want to go anywhere

2. Self drive to France, no issues with age or insurance 

3. Find a villa in Northern Spain and catch the ferry to Santander, downside to this is the BoB 🤮

4. A fly cruise in  Europe a possible option, but none of the itineraries seen so far are that attractive, revisiting places we have already been to a few times.

Have already looked at villas in France for late August early September and there quite a few I like but needs to be a joint decision. 

• Like 5

We had friends from Burnley visiting today, as it was nice out we took them to Barnsley as they have never been before. The food fair is on and the place was buzzing, Mrs YP purchased a couple of bottles of fancy gin, I did remind her there was no point saving any for our next P&O cruise😉. It has been very warm and sunny here after a misty start

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Well the visit to local TA was a short one, the vast majority of travel companies have 70 as an upper age limit, will often push it to 71 if you reach that age after you have booked, but as will be 72 when we would be going, the answer is no. Apparently it’s the cost of insurance that is the reason for this age discrimination, likewise at other end it’s usually 25 before you can hire a car and 30 for some models.

So we have a few choices

3. Find a villa in Northern Spain and catch the ferry to Santander, downside to this is the BoB 🤮

4. A fly cruise in  Europe a possible option, but none of the itineraries seen so far are that attractive, revisiting places we have already been to a few times.

Have already looked at villas in France for late August early September and there quite a few I like but needs to be a joint decision. 

In our village in Italy,a car was sort of essential but there were Brits that didn't drive who used the local buses on a regular basis.Not very frequent but they knew the timetables by heart.Just research local buses where you're thinking of going.Funny enough there is a lady flying there today who is pushing 80 and still manages to get a car thru a small local company.Good luck,Brian.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

The chicken manure pellets are one of the recommended accelerants, don’t use the powder ones, they don’t work in hotbin composters.

Another accelerant is fresh grass, but in small amounts and mixed with top layer.

You need to get the temperature up into the red zone on the thermometer and ensure any liquid is drained off. I use mine as a liquid fertiliser mixed with water.When I get a few dry days I will be emptying mine, using the composted element on the garden and the partially composted back in the bin once cleaned out.

When I worked for Thames water,sewage works used to treat human poo and sell it for use in agriculture.I think it was called sludge,but I don't think you'd see it in B&Qs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Truely bizarre, someone has found a dead octopus on a large grass verge according to a post on community FB page. We are at least 80 miles from the sea at the nearest point.

Morning, the above got me thinking was he alive on arrival 🤔?  Did he arrive by motor pike and side carp ?

Has anyone else seen weird things?

I once saw a man with one arm walking into a second hand shop once ?

All have a wonderful day take care 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

So we have a few choices

I have little experience of booking villas, but lots with booking hotels and hire cars.  Is it not possible to book a villa with flights and the car hire separately?  Or each component separately?

I had been considering a (hotel) week in Menorca next year and when I entered DH's age - he will be 73 by then - lots of options came up for car pick up and return to the airport via a broker (I've used Holiday Autos with cashback for my last few bookings).  Am I missing something?

We've never been to Menorca.  Do you have a favourite area?  We are not beach people and so will be exploring the island if we do book.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, brian1 said:

When I worked for Thames water,sewage works used to treat human poo and sell it for use in agriculture.I think it was called sludge,but I don't think you'd see it in B&Qs.

You would expect to buy top quality water from them but they are selling folk crapp and their own at that 😉

• Haha 4

Just checked in online for my forthcoming Iona cruise and got a boarding time of 1130. 😀

It is pouring with rain here. Yuk!

Have a good weekend everyone.

Gill x

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

You would expect to buy top quality water from them but they are selling folk crapp and their own at that 😉

The tomatoes that grow wild there for obvious reasons are top notch though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I have little experience of booking villas, but lots with booking hotels and hire cars.  Is it not possible to book a villa with flights and the car hire separately?  Or each component separately?

I had been considering a (hotel) week in Menorca next year and when I entered DH's age - he will be 73 by then - lots of options came up for car pick up and return to the airport via a broker (I've used Holiday Autos with cashback for my last few bookings).  Am I missing something?

We've never been to Menorca.  Do you have a favourite area?  We are not beach people and so will be exploring the island if we do book.

It is an option we are also considering and will be looking at today. As for Menorca I have never been there, my OH has before we met, I have been to the other 3 islands in the Balearics, Mallorca, Ibiza and Formentera. 

However we are leaning towards going to France, we have found a few potential villas/cottages with pools and near places we would like to visit, plus I can drive my own car, so no rental costs. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, brian1 said:

The tomatoes that grow wild there for obvious reasons are top notch though.

My sister used to work at a Severn Trent sewage works, she said the same. 

The sludge is still used as fertiliser on farmlands and also for creating biogas 

• Like 2

Graham, I have got roses out which I would have said is much earlier than usual - though the Chelsea show is coming up I think next week, and that is usually before the proper rose season.  No doubt we can blame climate change, as usual.  Your poppy is lovely.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Morning all, sorry haven’t had time to read the thread. My mum has been in hospital since Tuesday night so it’s all been rather stressful. She’s on oxygen and antibiotics but they’re hopeful she won’t be in there for too long. It was a bit touch and go at first. Everyone at the Home says they miss her!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone, hope you are ok today.

It’s a beautiful morning here, hubby is outside gardening already, I am going out to help(?), well do what I can which is usually only the weeding that is easily reachable for me.

We have friends over at a dance weekend, they are dancing on the Promenade at 2pm so going to watch them later.

Have a lovely day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, sorry haven’t had time to read the thread. My mum has been in hospital since Tuesday night so it’s all been rather stressful. She’s on oxygen and antibiotics but they’re hopeful she won’t be in there for too long. It was a bit touch and go at first. Everyone at the Home says they miss her!

I'm so sorry to hear about your mam in hospital and your stress Sue.

Sending you my prayers 🙏 that she will be feeling better soon.

f2cb0735e0b02e1563bf82605c6e4d15.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

My sister used to work at a Severn Trent sewage works, she said the same. 

The sludge is still used as fertiliser on farmlands and also for creating biogas 

My mrs said I'm good at biogas.

• Haha 6

36 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hope  your mum caŕrys on with her improvement Sue 

You  take care. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning, the above got me thinking was he alive on arrival 🤔?  Did he arrive by motor pike and side carp ?

Has anyone else seen weird things?

I once saw a man with one arm walking into a second hand shop once ?

All have a wonderful day take care 🙂 

I wonder if bro is missing an octopus from his last Tesco delivery🤔

Avril  

Edited by Adawn47
oops
  • Haha 8

Have just returned from a fabulous 2 week break in Pafos, Cyprus so lots of reading on here and catching up with what you've all been up to for the last 2 weeks or more. 

20240514_112738.thumb.jpg.0eaa686c2b831bdc0ef40e264e6234d6.jpg

20240505_193754.jpg

20240505_195347.jpg

20240506_190811.jpg

20240507_192117.jpg

20240513_181700.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I'm sorry your Mum is in hospital again Sue. I know it will be a stressful time for you, but she seems to be a strong lady so try to be positve. I hope she improves quickly.x

Avril

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have just returned from a fabulous 2 week break in Pafos, Cyprus so lots of reading on here and catching up with what you've all been up to for the last 2 weeks or more. 

20240505_193754.jpg

20240505_195347.jpg

20240506_190811.jpg

20240507_192117.jpg

20240513_181700.jpg

Fabulous photos.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Day 9 of my wisdom tooth saga and I am fed up. All was going well until last night when the pain level increased and I used my remaining tablets. So I went shopping this morning for cater packs of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol and food so egg drop soup and scrambled egg is the order of the day. Apparently I need to allow up to 3 weeks for the healing process.I did plan to assemble my new garden storage boxes today but the weather forecast was heavy rain, guess what, no rain so far.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

20240505_193754.jpg

20240505_195347.jpg

20240506_190811.jpg

20240507_192117.jpg

20240513_181700.jpg

Not dis-similar to where we are at the moment, apart from the hotel building and pool (there is snooker in the bar though).

• Like 1