P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

43 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You are a determined girl, Avril.  I might have a go at page 1, but doubt I will get far.  But in the middle of the night, if you can manage to be quietly on your own, a trawl through CC can be interesting, I agree.  And sometimes, in my case, if I wake really early, like 1 or 2, a couple of hours trawling, with a cup of tea, can make me able to go back to sleep for a few more hours.

There's no way I will do it in one day that's for sure, but I'll keep reading through them each day until I get up to date. I'm seeing posters who don't post anymore and keep thinking 'Oh I remember him or her, I wonder how they are now'

Wowzz of course, but also @Manx buoy  @bobupandown and

@mercury7289for instance.

It's an interesting read and seems, I don't know, 'different' somehow when reading it as a number of days all at once instead of a single day at a time, if you understand what I mean. It's like reading the story of a large extended family coping through a crisis, which of course it was.

Happy reading.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
spelling
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I was scrolling through the threads, but couldn't find much to interest me, and for some reason began looking through this thread from page1. I'm up to page 29 now, and it's been fascinating reading them all again, seeing how we all came together, first as a support group, then as virtual friends and our optimism at the begining of lockdown. I shall keep reading until I catch up to today, goodness knows how long it will take. 

I hope it makes good reading Avril, some of it will be funny,sad,helpful.

Some hopeful in the darker lockdown years that passed.

The thing is they were real people, apart from a few who tried to disrupt but 

they were soon seen off by our wonderful mods on cc.

So I say thank you to the posters past and present who made the P&O page

what it is and open to all who wish to share their time with us.

Enjoy your re run of the pages Avril .

PS  Once you finish reading it I recommend a book called  Zero Gravity it 

was that good I could not put it down 😉

Or try WD 40  that comes  under Non Friction 🙃

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

I hope it makes good reading Avril, some of it will be funny,sad,helpful.

Some hopeful in the darker lockdown years that passed.

The thing is they were real people, apart from a few who tried to disrupt but 

they were soon seen off by our wonderful mods on cc.

So I say thank you to the posters past and present who made the P&O page

what it is and open to all who wish to share their time with us.

Enjoy your re run of the pages Avril .

PS  Once you finish reading it I recommend a book called  Zero Gravity it 

was that good I could not put it down 😉

Or try WD 40  that comes  under Non Friction 🙃

I'm onto page 36 now and I came across a long forgotten friend of ours.

Does anyone remember the lovely ROGER?😁

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

Fair day here, we went to J32 for coffee and cake this morning then sat out for the afternoon in nice warm sun.

I will have a run through some of the early pages on this thread now and then when I am bored. 

They were not good times for a lot of us, winters especially for us as we like to fly south for the winter sun.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I do indeed recall them. Interestingly I have been doing a large amount of online searches, almost daily at present, for Caribbean land based holidays for the end of 2025 and that company comes up at the top of every search labelled as "Preferred".   Considering I'd never heard of them before I assume one of the websites I have visited (I wonder which ...) has somehow labelled them thus.  Hopefully harmless but annoying.

I have “Do not Track” turned on in the browsers I use, no guarantee it will stop all tracking but every little helps. The VPN I use when I connect to public networks has a tracking blocking feature in it. 

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

They were not good times for a lot of us, winters especially for us as we like to fly south for the winter sun.

No they weren't Phil, but this thread is an example of how a group of people of all ages and walks of life who have never met, can come together to help each other through a period in time when the whole world was going crazy, and the best part is, there's a happy ending.☺️

Avril

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

When this thread started I had just gone into a Care Home for respite after breaking my femur for the second time, with my husband who could not look after himself at home, so it was a miserable time. We arrived just before lockdown, so not even the normal little 'treats' like hairdos provided. We stayed 8 weeks, and then isolated at home.  When I found this site, it proved a godsend to me as you may imagine.  So I will always be grateful for it, and to you all. 

• Like 19

The pandemic was a tough time for a lot of us.

Just before lockdown my third daughter got married and some fo the guests were scrambling to get home in time. My youngest son had to cancel his wedding. My eldest daughter was diagnosed with MS and in the middle of lockdown moved in with us, as she couldn't cope on her own. I was also still recovering from neuro surgery, which took years! (I'm still not right in the head🥴but a least I have an excuse!)

This thread helped in many, many ways with a virtual world tour and the A to Z of ports, along with the many photos.

There is a lot to be thankful for, virtual friendships that have been made, support for each other  in tough times and so much more.

Hopefully this thread will continue for a long time yet.

Thank you all.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, lincslady said:

When this thread started I had just gone into a Care Home for respite after breaking my femur for the second time, with my husband who could not look after himself at home, so it was a miserable time. We arrived just before lockdown, so not even the normal little 'treats' like hairdos provided. We stayed 8 weeks, and then isolated at home.  When I found this site, it proved a godsend to me as you may imagine.  So I will always be grateful for it, and to you all. 

I am delighted that yourself and Avril @Adawn47 are here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Avril that was a good idea looking back and start reading again when it’s hard to sleep. I was intrigued to when I joined this chat and it was page 66 , I think I was lurking for a while and plucked up courage to write something, wishing wowzz a happy anniversary was my entrance to start joining in and it’s now been a godsend for me , I really enjoy talking to you all my virtual friends 🥰

• Like 9

What a nice little sidetrack you’ve started Avril, and what a good idea to reread - quite a task!

I agree with all the posts saying this thread is one of the nicest places in the wwworld 🙂

• Like 11

17c and disappointingly drizzly this morning, it also unexpectedly rained most of yesterday afternoon after the forecast was dry with a low risk of scattered showers! However it is SUPPOSED to be dry later and tomorrow so I should be able to get the gardening jobs done then 🤞

• Like 4

Good morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

Avril, you have brought up a lovely topic of conversation, reminding us all of all the lovely friends we have all made on here.

I have had a busy week looking after grandchildren now it’s school holidays. They go home today only for another two and their parents to arrive tomorrow for the weekend. A busy week!!

Then to top it all my mum went over on her ankle and has broken her foot. Fracture clinic on Monday for a review.

It is a dull day here this morning so I will either bake or take the grandchildren to the play gym

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 7

Yet another grey, dull, cloudy, dismal day with rain with a temp of 16c. Apart from the odd day, here and there, it feels as though we are still in winter, as this weather is no different.

It's beginning to get me down!😒

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Yet another grey, dull, cloudy, dismal day with rain with a temp of 16c. Apart from the odd day, here and there, it feels as though we are still in winter, as this weather is no different.

It's beginning to get me down!😒

The forecast from tomorrow shows being dry for a week in Cornwall but still only 18 to 20c max.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Good morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

Avril, you have brought up a lovely topic of conversation, reminding us all of all the lovely friends we have all made on here.

I have had a busy week looking after grandchildren now it’s school holidays. They go home today only for another two and their parents to arrive tomorrow for the weekend. A busy week!!

Then to top it all my mum went over on her ankle and has broken her foot. Fracture clinic on Monday for a review.

It is a dull day here this morning so I will either bake or take the grandchildren to the play gym

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

I'm sorry to hear your dear mam has broken her foot Michelle.

16°C and partly sunny here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone🙂 @Peanut006 Sorry to read your Mum's broke her foot

and hoping all is well with her review . Pity at a certain age us old mum's/dads are

not fitted with stabilisers, would make life a lot easier 🙃

Avril's splendid post does get us all thinking back to the creation of this thread and 

where we are now ..My life is no exception.

Going back to September 2019 I was a happy go lucky guy looking forward to

the end of the year when I had plans of early retirement and a New year cruise

booked. Little did I know that all of that was to come crashing down with HF.

I spent the rest of the year waiting /going for scans .The advice I was given was 

to isolate in my home to avoid colds etc that could cause more problems.

I did that and cancelled the cruise . 

"Happy New Year " said Mrs K, with a tearful hug to each other ,we had been 

through the worst .... Wrong a few weeks later we had the Covid arrive and now 

not just me but everyone to isolate/stay at home .

I remember saying I was to quit CC as the chances of me ever getting near a

cruise ship was zero and whats the point in posting on a cruise thread.?

Our very good friend @grapau27 told me to stay as I have past knowledge

that could help others,so I took his advice and glad I did .

The annoying thing is we could get posts pulled down as they had nowt to do

with cruising but then CC saw this and allowed this and other threads to be made .

I look back and now see posts that read "quiet today"  but that's good as it tells 

us most are out and about /cruising etc.

I eventually got a few cruisers /holidays taken and still have plans for more as 

my condition has improved. So cheers to you all as this page has helped us all

at some point and continues to do so for others .

Take care and have a good day 😃

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm onto page 36 now and I came across a long forgotten friend of ours.

Does anyone remember the lovely ROGER?😁

Avril

Sometimes you come across ..." I'm off. I'll never post on here again "..2 pages later...guess what.🤣

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

Morning everyone🙂 @Peanut006 Sorry to read your Mum's broke her foot

and hoping all is well with her review . Pity at a certain age us old mum's/dads are

not fitted with stabilisers, would make life a lot easier 🙃

Avril's splendid post does get us all thinking back to the creation of this thread and 

where we are now ..My life is no exception.

Going back to September 2019 I was a happy go lucky guy looking forward to

the end of the year when I had plans of early retirement and a New year cruise

booked. Little did I know that all of that was to come crashing down with HF.

I spent the rest of the year waiting /going for scans .The advice I was given was 

to isolate in my home to avoid colds etc that could cause more problems.

I did that and cancelled the cruise . 

"Happy New Year " said Mrs K, with a tearful hug to each other ,we had been 

through the worst .... Wrong a few weeks later we had the Covid arrive and now 

not just me but everyone to isolate/stay at home .

I remember saying I was to quit CC as the chances of me ever getting near a

cruise ship was zero and whats the point in posting on a cruise thread.?

Our very good friend @grapau27 told me to stay as I have past knowledge

that could help others,so I took his advice and glad I did .

The annoying thing is we could get posts pulled down as they had nowt to do

with cruising but then CC saw this and allowed this and other threads to be made .

I look back and now see posts that read "quiet today"  but that's good as it tells 

us most are out and about /cruising etc.

I eventually got a few cruisers /holidays taken and still have plans for more as 

my condition has improved. So cheers to you all as this page has helped us all

at some point and continues to do so for others .

Take care and have a good day 😃

Your humour and cruise knowledge has been invaluable on here Kalos and has helped us all these past 4 years.

I'm so pleased that you and your dear wife are now cruising again and staying in hotels in Madeira etc.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

The forecast from tomorrow shows being dry for a week in Cornwall but still only 18 to 20c max.

18-20 sounds like a heatwave at the moment.

• Like 3

I've been helping the Grandkids with their home work on the differences

in weather and climate ....😃

You can’t weather a tree, but you can climate.🙃

• Haha 5