P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I think wowzz may be on holiday🤫I vaguely remember him mentioning something but I can't remember when he said it was.

Avril

I think you are right Avril as I also remember Wowzz saying he was going away.

Gill

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

I think you are right Avril as I also remember Wowzz saying he was going away.

Gill

He is going on the same cruise as me later this month.Of course he may be on another holiday

Edited by ann141
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I think wowzz may be on holiday🤫I vaguely remember him mentioning something but I can't remember when he said it was.

Avril

I think it was a Canaries,or Med Princess cruise, but he does enjoy Pontins.🤣

• Haha 3

Not been warm here today, a bit of sun first thing, but then the rain set in and temperature dropped to 12C, finally succumbed to putting the heating back on when indoor temperature was showing as 16C.

Windows & Doors company came around to survey and accurately measure up for our new front and back doors, installation is due in 6 to 8 weeks, the surveyor said it used to be 4 weeks until this year. Delivery time and prices have shot up, had we ordered them last year would have been about £500 cheaper. 🤬

Had the job to replace a couple of our decking supports delayed again, another supply problem. 

Just heard from my wife, she went out today on visit to an NT property as part of her volunteer role, was due to have lunch there only to be told restaurants were closed due to deliveries for today not turning up, second time that has happened to her in the last 2 weeks. 

Edited by Snow Hill

I had an interesting visit to our local Sainsbury hybrid store today, all the shelves were bulging, and there was no sign of shortages anywhere. The fresh meat and ready meal shelves were full with no sign of any pork shortages. Maybe we are just fortunate in Yorkshire, filling stations with no queues supermarket shelves full and sunny intervals as well.😁

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I had an interesting visit to our local Sainsbury hybrid store today, all the shelves were bulging, and there was no sign of shortages anywhere. The fresh meat and ready meal shelves were full with no sign of any pork shortages. Maybe we are just fortunate in Yorkshire, filling stations with no queues supermarket shelves full and sunny intervals as well.😁

What's a Sainsbury hybrid please?

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We have not noticed any shortages or empty shelves at either Aldi Barnsley or Asda Wakefield recently, which seems odd when you see some of the pictures on the news. No queues at filling stations either although prices have gone up about 5p/L this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have not noticed any shortages or empty shelves at either Aldi Barnsley or Asda Wakefield recently, which seems odd when you see some of the pictures on the news. No queues at filling stations either although prices have gone up about 5p/L this week.

I've put in my Morrison's order today. No Cravendale semi milk, no cabbage of any kind, no bacon, no prune juice and oddly enough, no firelighters.  No problem, it's been worse and we got by.

On the subject of fuel, the local Jet garage has always had petrol and no queues.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 1

I've put in my Morrison's order today. No Cravendale semi milk, no cabbage of any kind, no bacon, no prune juice and oddly enough, no firelighters.  No problem, it's been worse and we got by.

On the subject of fuel, the local Jet garage has always had petrol and no queues.

Avril

Just done our Tesco order, no cauliflower, no nectarines, limited choice of apples, only iceberg lettuce (if the size of last weeks is anything to go by they seem to be melting) no carrots, fortunately still have carrots in the ground along with beetroot. No skinned chicken breasts.

local Sainsbury’s was open for fuel this morning first time since last Thursday, by 5pm had sold out of petrol, both N95 & N98, only diesel left

There were about six things missing from my Iceland delivery yesterday.  Strangely three were from their "Chinese " food range.

Tonight they sent a £5 voucher as an apology and it's not even their fault!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

There were about six things missing from my Iceland delivery yesterday.  Strangely three were from their "Chinese " food range.

Tonight they sent a £5 voucher as an apology and it's not even their fault!

I had 4 substitutions in my Sainsbury’s order today. It’s been like that since about July.

In store, there are definite gaps on the shelves. M&S used to be better, but even they have gaps now.

It’s very strange that some areas don’t seem to be affected, when this is a National problem 🤷‍♀️

Just now, Dermotsgirl said:

I had 4 substitutions in my Sainsbury’s order today. It’s been like that since about July.

In store, there are definite gaps on the shelves. M&S used to be better, but even they have gaps now.

It’s very strange that some areas don’t seem to be affected, when this is a National problem 🤷‍♀️

We pay our rates promptly in Yorkshire.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As everyone knows,  my DW kindly allows me to do our shopping, and, as we have Lidl, Aldi, Tesco and M&S within 800 yards of each other,  I frequent them all. 

They all have sporadic OOS (out of stocks) but never of the same items. For example,  last week, the Tesco wine aisle was decimated,  but Aldi had a full  selection.

From my various conversations with store staff, the real issue seems to be at the Regional Distribution Centres. There just aren't enough people to pick the products and load the vehicles. 

The wages in the RDCs  aren't bad - over £25k per year - probably more with ot. The issue is, of course, if wages for these semi skilled jobs rise too much, care workers, nurses etc will just quit their existing jobs and work in the Lidl warehouse.

The UK labour pool has been dramatically reduced, so employers will have to dramatically increase wages to attract and retain staff. That does not bode well for the NHS.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As everyone knows,  my DW kindly allows me to do our shopping, and, as we have Lidl, Aldi, Tesco and M&S within 800 yards of each other,  I frequent them all. 

They all have sporadic OOS (out of stocks) but never of the same items. For example,  last week, the Tesco wine aisle was decimated,  but Aldi had a full  selection.

From my various conversations with store staff, the real issue seems to be at the Regional Distribution Centres. There just aren't enough people to pick the products and load the vehicles. 

The wages in the RDCs  aren't bad - over £25k per year - probably more with ot. The issue is, of course, if wages for these semi skilled jobs rise too much, care workers, nurses etc will just quit their existing jobs and work in the Lidl warehouse.

The UK labour pool has been dramatically reduced, so employers will have to dramatically increase wages to attract and retain staff. That does not bode well for the NHS.

The problem is that the govt pays the vast majority of care wages and all the NHS, either directly or via local govt. Devolution is fine but if the govt paid all these wages at least we would know who to blame, and who to put pressure on to resolve the problem. At present they just point the figure at one another.

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I noticed yesterday that my local Sainsbury's was displaying a prominent notice inviting people to apply for their online operation, maybe they are having difficulties with their distribution too.

Very angry this morning, was due my 8 week prescription renewal last Friday, 5 items. I popped into Lloyds today to collect but no prescription so I asked why. The answer was we don't do repeat prescription orders for customers anymore, you have to arrange that with your GP, there is the notice on the wall. I replied that the notice was not there 8 weeks ago when I arranged for my repeat prescription on the 1st October, also showing their card with the date written on it, by them. Their answer, nothing they could do 🤬

So checked my GP website and now you have to submit an online form listing your repeat request and stating the pharmacy where you will collect. Trouble is it says up to 5 days for them to send the electronic request to the pharmacy, grrr, I only have 5 tablets left for one of my medications. so sent a pleading email asking if they could expedite matters,

Then I had to register with the NHS electronic prescription service and chose Boots at Hempstead Valley as apparently their pharmacy is open on Sundays as well

Life is just getting more complicated.

We were due to have a flu injection at Asda today.  Got a phone call three hours  prior - no pharmacist, so no injection! What's that all about? Perhaps the pharmacist has gone to work in the Lidl warehouse for more money. 

So we have rebooked at Boots, but no appointments until early November. 

Actually, not too bothered,  as the efficacy of the flu jab declines significantly after three months,  so being vaccinated too early leaves you less protected for the peak flu season in January and February.