P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Isn't 36.000 enough?

Avril

Of which over half are under 20 and unvaccinated.

The remainder suffer only minor symptoms, if any.

Yes, obviously there are those like Harry who have to be vigilant, but there is no need for a constant atmosphere of fear.

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'd like to correct your post a little if you don't mind Harry.  😉

''Even a fleeting contact is sufficient''

Why else would the little perisher still be running riot.😷

Avril

That’s my concern too, Avril. We keep hearing from friends and family about new infections in people who’ve been extremely careful and can’t work out how they could have contracted it. One’s sadly in ICU.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'd like to correct your post a little if you don't mind Harry.  😉

''Even a fleeting contact is sufficient''

Why else would the little perisher still be running riot.😷

Avril

The little perisher has been running rampant in schools now that bubbling, social distancing and face masks are no longer needed, but that is no surprise and in the overwhelming number of cases do not create problems for the children. Similarly the next largest segment are the non vaccinated, which again is not surprising. However the double jabbed are only a small proportion of the positive cases, and serious hospitalization is very low for this group.

These statistics certainly make me feel more relaxed about trying to get back to a little more of a normal life than we have had for the last 20 months.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The little perisher has been running rampant in schools now that bubbling, social distancing and face masks are no longer needed, but that is no surprise and in the overwhelming number of cases do not create problems for the children. Similarly the next largest segment are the non vaccinated, which again is not surprising. However the double jabbed are only a small proportion of the positive cases, and serious hospitalization is very low for this group.

These statistics certainly make me feel more relaxed about trying to get back to a little more of a normal life than we have had for the last 20 months.

Thank you for giving a sense of perspective to the current scenario.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

18 months in to a pandemic, and still people don't get it. *shakes head in despair*

On a happier note, ahead of my husband's 70th birthday tomorrow, we had afternoon tea at home 

IMG_0333.jpg

Oh that looks yummy. Glass of champagne with it??

• Like 1

just conducted some online research

> flu viral particle dose as little as 10

> not yet sure about COVID, estimates say about 1000 - UCL

> sneeze travels at up to 50 mph

> sneeze may contain many millions of COVID particles

> 15 mins in a confined space with someone shedding lots of virus and you have a good chance of being infected.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

18 months in to a pandemic, and still people don't get it. *shakes head in despair*

On a happier note, ahead of my husband's 70th birthday tomorrow, we had afternoon tea at home 

IMG_0333.jpg

That looks good 😊 Happy Birthday to your husband

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

IMG_0333.jpg

Happy Birthday to your husband tomorrow 🎂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

IMG_0333.jpg

Sending happy birthday wishes to your husband for tomorrow.

It is my birthday tomorrow too.

65🥺😷.

Graham.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Absolutely, but totally different to passing someone in a shopping aisle !

> the total dose can be accumulated from many tiny doses,  so don't pass lots of people in a shopping isle

> apparently only one or two viral particles managing to infect cells and that's it.

• Like 1

We are all doomed let's not ever go out close all the shops, again, except for supermarkets but when they deliver food to help us survive dont go anywhere near the delivery driver and place all food in a safe place for 4 hrs and dont touch it. We will then survive but at the end of the day would it be worth surviving.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We are all doomed let's not ever go out close all the shops, again, except for supermarkets but when they deliver food to help us survive dont go anywhere near the delivery driver and place all food in a safe place for 4 hrs and dont touch it. We will then survive but at the end of the day would it be worth surviving.

Pretty much what some of us are having to do already.  4 hours is very much an understatement, though, and you forgot the bleach and the incoming mail etc.

It's not great, but it's perfectly achievable - unfortunately there's still no clear evidence on the routes of transmission or the times necessary for different materials.  Lots of different views, but no clear answers. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

According to PNAS, small speech droplets stay airborne between 8 - 14 mins. Plenty of time for a good lungful whatever your height😷

Avril

And the 36,000 are only the ones who have been tested - what's the real incidence?  Those who are non-symptomatic and unaware that they have been in contact with an infected person won't get tested - then some who are ill may not bother to be tested. 

Our rates shot up from <200 to over 1,000 in a week.  Probably outbreaks in schools/Uni but nevertheless there's more infection out there.  Granted we all make decisions we are comfortable with, but don't be deceived into thinking the infection isn't prevalent and especially those who are at greater risk need to be aware.  

Content source: National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Division of Viral Diseases

People release respiratory fluids during exhalation (e.g., quiet breathing, speaking, singing, exercise, coughing, sneezing) in the form of droplets across a spectrum of sizes.1-9 These droplets carry virus and transmit infection.

• The largest droplets settle out of the air rapidly, within seconds to minutes.
  • The smallest very fine droplets, and aerosol particles formed when these fine droplets rapidly dry, are small enough that they can remain suspended in the air for minutes to hours.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

And the 36,000 are only the ones who have been tested - what's the real incidence?  Those who are non-symptomatic and unaware that they have been in contact with an infected person won't get tested - then some who are ill may not bother to be tested. 

Our rates shot up from <200 to over 1,000 in a week.  Probably outbreaks in schools/Uni but nevertheless there's more infection out there.  Granted we all make decisions we are comfortable with, but don't be deceived into thinking the infection isn't prevalent and especially those who are at greater risk need to be aware.  

Content source: National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Division of Viral Diseases

People release respiratory fluids during exhalation (e.g., quiet breathing, speaking, singing, exercise, coughing, sneezing) in the form of droplets across a spectrum of sizes.1-9 These droplets carry virus and transmit infection.

• The largest droplets settle out of the air rapidly, within seconds to minutes.
  • The smallest very fine droplets, and aerosol particles formed when these fine droplets rapidly dry, are small enough that they can remain suspended in the air for minutes to hours.

At last, a voice of reason. The rates in my area are also rising rapidly .

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

A good day for birthdays 🎂 

Looks like it will be the mildest weather that I can remember on my birthday, up to 18c here.

I never went to school on my birthday as the 27th October was/is always in the autumn half term holiday, in England anyway.

• Like 4