P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Bright and sunny with not a cloud to be seen down this end too, with a bit of a breeze. Lovely drying weather for the washing, although fingers froze pegging it on the line! I'm now back in the warm with a cup of coffee defrosting.

Just another day of chores, but they can wait a while longer!!

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Britboys said:

It certainly isn't just you Michelle. I have the same thoughts about masks and social distancing although I am now a bit more relaxed about using gel as frequently. I do however still clean the trolley handles. I do often have the urge to shout "What's wrong with you lot - we're still having around 40,000 new infections a day you dopes!"

On a personal level, I really just don't understand the reluctance to wear a mask for 20 minutes whilst you walk round the supermarket. It felt so much safer when I was in Spain recently and everyone in shops and on public transport wore masks.

If hospitals, doctors, dentists, opticians and all health services are still mandating the wearing of masks and social distancing then it is obviously important. 

When we went for our boosters last Friday the taxi driver didn't wear a mask and all the windows were closed. We wore our masks and I opened the two rear windows, he turned around to say something, saw the look on my face and said nothing, but tutted and hurumphed all the way to the vaccination hub. Needless to say there was no tip. Just another ostrich.

Avril

• Like 13

15 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Wearing a mask is such a simple way to protect those around us. It’s a way of life for me now, I barely think about it, just pop my mask on when I go in an inside public space 

The trouble is, the amount of people who  return the compliment is getting lower and lower 

If the government's advice was 'Wear a mask to protect yourself', then there would have been more compliance. 

Avril

• Like 8

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have had quite a keen frost here but not a cloud in the sky, first time I've had me big coit on for yonks. Good luck all those waiting for their phone calls to say they have got their preferred cruise, I will have to wait till tomorrow.

Got a call from our TA at 0834 this morning with our first choice cabin, delighted as usual with there service, and to top it all its a  lovely day in the North Yorkshire sunshine 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

If hospitals, doctors, dentists, opticians and all health services are still mandating the wearing of masks and social distancing then it is obviously important. 

When we went for our boosters last Friday the taxi driver didn't wear a mask and all the windows were closed. We wore our masks and I opened the two rear windows, he turned around to say something, saw the look on my face and said nothing, but tutted and hurumphed all the way to the vaccination hub. Needless to say there was no tip. Just another ostrich.

Avril

I know that look sis.I can even feel it over the internet,bro.

• Haha 1

You Norfolk guys got me googling Colchester Inns,they look impressive.As little as 160 quid for 2 nights b&b,impressive menu and probably only 2 hrs from us.Can you recommend any particular pub and town? Cheers,Brian.

17 minutes ago, brian1 said:

You Norfolk guys got me googling Colchester Inns,they look impressive.As little as 160 quid for 2 nights b&b,impressive menu and probably only 2 hrs from us.Can you recommend any particular pub and town? Cheers,Brian.

Brian,I have not stayed with that group but do know the area quite well.

Either Aylsham or Blickling would be fine.

Also look at The Le Strange Alms in Old Hunstanton, Blakeney Hotel in Blakeney and the Links Hotel in West Runton ,have stayed in them all many times

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Unfortunately not me YET!!! I am going to find them in the new year. My own lunch today was cancelled as they decided to go home after the wet weekend. No darn staying power. But here in Holt Byfords did rustle me up a nice coffee and cakes as compensation.

Oh just seen the previous post the Blakeney Hotel was one of my Dad's favourites. He said "they do reet good meals"

Emma

Edited by ccpm
Addition

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Best food at the Recruiting Sergeant, Horstead; food also excellent at Black Boys, Aylsham. Never seen the rooms at the Sergeant, but know they were added on perhaps ten years ago. Best location: Rising Sun, Coltishall (and the rooms here were only added on about 3 years ago, when the Colchesters took over) or Bucks Arms at Blickling, next to the lovely Blickling Hall.

Unless you're very lucky, you will need to make advance restaurant bookings; all of their venues are packed to the rafters, even on traditionally quieter restaurant days like Mondays.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Beckett said:

I hope you and Pauline enjoyed last night as much as I did Graham. I am determined to get to see her live but the Hyde Park concerts next July are well and truly sold out and the ticket agencies are charging hundreds per ticket. Such a shame. I hope you both have a good day. Best wishes. Jane.x 

Thank you Jane we both enjoyed listening to Adele last night.

I have been out since 08.30am doing sales calls.

I got home at 15.30pm having picked up my new glasses prescription (Reading only now after 2 cataract operations) from Specsavers.

I hope you have a nice day Jane.

Graham x.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Best food at the Recruiting Sergeant, Horstead; food also excellent at Black Boys, Aylsham. Never seen the rooms at the Sergeant, but know they were added on perhaps ten years ago. Best location: Rising Sun, Coltishall (and the rooms here were only added on about 3 years ago, when the Colchesters took over) or Bucks Arms at Blickling, next to the lovely Blickling Hall.

Unless you're very lucky, you will need to make advance restaurant bookings; all of their venues are packed to the rafters, even on traditionally quieter restaurant days like Mondays.

Thanks Annie and everyone that responded.I see your point,rooms are not a problem but I might be eating a takeaway fish and chips in them,lol.Perhaps new year,cheers,Brian.

Edited by brian1

12 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Up early this morning as carpenter is dues, hopefully, to install new gates & repair decking, looked outside to see it white over and a balmy -2C., think he will need his thermals on today. 🥶

No need for his thermals as half the wood required for job hasn’t  arrived at supplier, so we have gates but no gate posts, none of the decking wood need for repair arrived. Was cancelled Friday for same reason, supply issues, no due either tomorrow or Wednesday morning 🤞

This is second job on the house that his been delayed due to supply issues, the facia and guttering replacement that were due to be done in March finally got done in June items stuck at docks in Rotterdam for 4 weeks and then again when got to U.K., problems with the paperwork.

Today we heard that our new doors have been delayed by a further 2 weeks, hopefully will be installed before Christmas, originally quoted at 6 weeks after order was placed, now 10 weeks, new order they are quoting up to 12 weeks, plus price has gone up, fortunately ours is fixed at order price. 

Edited by Snow Hill

I  feel for you snow hill with waiting for supplies I waited 6 months for my wardrobes and some damage is on the ones fitted I now have to wait until January for replacements .

Im off to Scotland tomorrow morning for two days , taking father in-law up to see his brother in-laws before they die , yes it’s a sad trip with one in hospital not lasting long and we don’t think we’re get to see him , only close family 1 hour a day 1 person, the other brother in-law he promised mum he would go and visit him , he also is hanging on and not got long to live , mum was too ill to go and visit him one last time before she died , so a very sad two days coming up because he will never return to Scotland after this because he’s hoping to become a spainish citizen in the new year and live out in fuerteventura with his daughter for his last years 😤 . I’m hoping to see some snow on the mountains tomorrow, straight run up to Glasgow and bring back some scotch pies 🥧. Have a good day tomorrow everyone.

• Like 5

Morning all,I was out for my 4 mile power walk this morning when a truck tooted and pulled me over.It was an old mate I've known since I was 15 and haven't seen for years.He's a roofer and still climbing ladders and scaffold at 68.This will be compulsory for youngsters now to get their state pension.Hope they keep as fit as my mate,lol.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 5

Was cold an chilly here this morning with frost on the car, and freezing again as I was defrosting it! It feels quite pleasant now outside in the sun as we are now in double figures.

Been up to Truro this morning to take my daughter to the hospital for her treatment then went on into town shopping. Surprised at just how quiet the it was.  Mask wearing was about 50/50 with the younger generation being the ones not wearing masks.

Not doing much now just waiting until I get a phone call from my daughter to go and collect her.

• Like 1

Bit late posting but here in Holt when I left the house at 9.45am it was 3oC. No worries I was set to go get my Covid booster at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Kings Lynn. Closest when I booked. OK for me I drive and pass it every time I drive back to see brother or friends but not so sure re others locally. It was fine but took a while. 

Home and got some petrol en route sacre moi its over £152.99 now. Oh well have to travel to Southampton and back for the cruise so will need petrol.

I don’t know if every is aware of the latest government advice.  There seem to be significant changes, including testing before attending gatherings and advising wearing masks indoors

I haven’t heard much on broadcast news - I was surprised to find this online. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-coronavirus-restrictions-what-you-can-and-cannot-do

ETA

Above is for England but tick the box to get advice for Scotland or Wales

Edited by Eddie99

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Bit late posting but here in Holt when I left the house at 9.45am it was 3oC. No worries I was set to go get my Covid booster at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Kings Lynn. Closest when I booked. OK for me I drive and pass it every time I drive back to see brother or friends but not so sure re others locally. It was fine but took a while. 

Home and got some petrol en route sacre moi its over £152.99 now. Oh well have to travel to Southampton and back for the cruise so will need petrol.

WOW, I thought that petrol was expensive at £1.42 at Tesco this morning.

22 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

No need for his thermals as half the wood required for job hasn’t  arrived at supplier, so we have gates but no gate posts, none of the decking wood need for repair arrived. Was cancelled Friday for same reason, supply issues, no due either tomorrow or Wednesday morning 🤞

This is second job on the house that his been delayed due to supply issues, the facia and guttering replacement that were due to be done in March finally got done in June items stuck at docks in Rotterdam for 4 weeks and then again when got to U.K., problems with the paperwork.

Today we heard that our new doors have been delayed by a further 2 weeks, hopefully will be installed before Christmas, originally quoted at 6 weeks after order was placed, now 10 weeks, new order they are quoting up to 12 weeks, plus price has gone up, fortunately ours is fixed at order price. 

No decking wood arrived today, now due Thursday, work rescheduled for next Tuesday, the good news for someone else is that the missing kitchen units arrived, so he can complete a kitchen refit that was started 2 weeks ago. 

GP phoned more over 65 flu vaccine arrived so booked for flu jab Friday PM at surgery. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2