P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

47 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You should get a good discount next visit Graham. If I book, I'll tell them ' Graham sent me '🤣

They are part of the Lake District hotels group with central booking.

Register your email address with them Zapp and they will send you regular offers.

7 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

It's 30˚C here. Forecast is for 32˚C. Due to be our hottest night yet... 24˚C at midnight and not much lower than 20˚C overnight.

Normally we would have to pay a small fortune to fly to the Mediterranean or the Caribbean for the privilege! 

Yes, 31⁰ here at present. You are right - it is like the Mediterranean but sadly no aircon, no pool in the grounds and - for me - the sea is 60 miles away...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

They are part of the Lake District hotels group with central booking.

Register your email address with them Zapp and they will send you regular offers.

I had a look on their webpage. Where it said ' discount code' I put your name in and it redirected me to the Premier inn, Grimsby.🤣

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Yes, 31⁰ here at present. You are right - it is like the Mediterranean but sadly no aircon, no pool in the grounds and - for me - the sea is 60 miles away...

Ditto 😅!  Just looking forward to my aquafit class tomorrow - will never complain about the swimming pool water being cold again!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I had a look on their webpage. Where it said ' discount code' I put your name in and it redirected me to the Premier inn, Grimsby.🤣

You can't beat staying in a lovely hotel with its own restaurant Zap.

We stayed last week for 1 night in the Skiddaw hotel right in the centre of Keswick.

This week we stayed in the Borrowdale hotel where we often go for lunch and have stayed before.

We have previously stayed in 

The Inn on the Lake overlooking lake Ullswater and where we had lunch last week and the week before is amazing and Prince William and Kate visited it recently.

Southampton pre cruise the Premier Inn is convenient.

IMG_20220708_133822.jpg

IMG_20220811_115136.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We stayed last week for 1 night in the Skiddaw hotel right in the centre of Keswick.

This week we stayed in the Borrowdale hotel where we often go for lunch and have stayed before.

The Inn on the Lake overlooking lake Ullswater and where we had lunch last week and the week before is amazing and Prince William and Kate visited it recently.

IMG_20220708_133822.jpg

IMG_20220811_115136.jpg

About 10 years ago, we stayed at the Highfield Hotel in Keswick. Very nice view and food, but a blooming long way from Surrey. About 4 nights needed to make it worthwhile. Perhaps next year🤔

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

About 10 years ago, we stayed at the Highfield Hotel in Keswick. Very nice view and food, but a blooming long way from Surrey. About 4 nights needed to make it worthwhile. Perhaps next year🤔

Keswick is 100 miles from our home.

Yes you would need to stay several nights if you travelled from Surrey.

I have stayed in a few hotels in Croydon.

@grapau27 lovely photos not been back to Keswick for probably 23 years or so. Next time you go please step into the sweet shop ( you’ll know the one I mean) & take a deep breath for me! Those Child hood memories! My Aunt owned The Crow Park hotel & in the early 70s we lived in Keswick for a bit, I have a scar on my cheek thanks to a piece of copper tube & a rug as I was ‘helping’ Dad at work doing some plumbing at the con club aged 3. Spent most summers up there & the Dales. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Britboys said:

... no-one, to make your bed, clean the bathroom, tidy up, prepare your meals, wash the dishes, ..............😒

A very hot and frazzled Avril🥵

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Keswick is 100 miles from our home.

Yes you would need to stay several nights if you travelled from Surrey.

I have stayed in a few hotels in Croydon.

Knowing Croydon, I prefer Cumbria.🤣

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

@grapau27 lovely photos not been back to Keswick for probably 23 years or so. Next time you go please step into the sweet shop ( you’ll know the one I mean) & take a deep breath for me! Those Child hood memories! My Aunt owned The Crow Park hotel & in the early 70s we lived in Keswick for a bit, I have a scar on my cheek thanks to a piece of copper tube & a rug as I was ‘helping’ Dad at work doing some plumbing at the con club aged 3. Spent most summers up there & the Dales. 

Thank you.

There are a couple of sweet shops now in Keswick but the main one on the high street is awesome.

I have sold sugar and chocolate confectionery to shops for 35 years and can agree with the sweet smell in small sweet shops where sweets are sold loose.

• Like 4

We have just spent the last hour moving all of the furniture in our lounge in preparation for having new sofas delivered on Tuesday.  He couldn’t understand why we can't just have the new sofas exactly where the current ones are, but now the old ones are where the new ones will be he can see why I wanted the  move around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

IMG_20220708_133822.jpg

IMG_20220811_115136.jpg

We went to a wedding at the inn on the lake last summer. Beautiful surroundings and food / bar but not so impressed with the room we had.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

We last stayed in Keswick 29 years ago.  Graham's photos have made me think that we need to plan another short break there.

• Like 3

32C here and still not the hottest part of the day. Have been soaking my wall baskets in large containers with water in them, in order to rehydrate the compost, watering them whilst in situ the water was just draining though & I have plastic liners in the baskets. 

I came downstairs last night and sat on the patio for about an hour between 1 & 2 am temperature was 21C but I did spot a few perseids meteors. We had breakfast outside for the 5th day ina row, unheard of here, usually only get to do that when have holidayed in France. 

We are thinking about doing the TransCanadian Railway next year, from Vancouver to Halifax Nova Scotia, however the flight time from Gatwick to Vancouver is 10hrs, longer than we have ever flown before, which was from Gatwick to Halifax Nova Scotia which was just over 6 hours. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

32C here and still not the hottest part of the day. Have been soaking my wall baskets in large containers with water in them, in order to rehydrate the compost, watering them whilst in situ the water was just draining though & I have plastic liners in the baskets. 

I came downstairs last night and sat on the patio for about an hour between 1 & 2 am temperature was 21C but I did spot a few perseids meteors. We had breakfast outside for the 5th day ina row, unheard of here, usually only get to do that when have holidayed in France. 

We are thinking about doing the TransCanadian Railway next year, from Vancouver to Halifax Nova Scotia, however the flight time from Gatwick to Vancouver is 10hrs, longer than we have ever flown before, which was from Gatwick to Halifax Nova Scotia which was just over 6 hours. 

We went to Nova Scotia just before you know what, lured by the 6 hour flight. Air Canada were using 737 max planes. All got grounded. We had to fly via Toronto. 11 hours including a 1 hour stopover. Still worth it. I have been told that the cross Canada rail trip can be a bit tedious, but we would give it a go. Don't go to Vancouver without at least a few day in the Rockies. Stunning.

25 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Just so you know, there is not a single train that goes between Vancouver and Halifax; you have to change in Toronto.  In any event, that would be quite a trip.  Maybe try to fit Ottawa and Montreal into your plans.  See viarail.ca for all your planning purposes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Just so you know, there is not a single train that goes between Vancouver and Halifax; you have to change in Toronto.  In any event, that would be quite a trip.  Maybe try to fit Ottawa and Montreal into your plans.  See viarail.ca for all your planning purposes.

We are aware of that, some friends of ours did the trip a couple of months ago and have filled us in on the transport aspect of the journey. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2