P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Thank you all for your good wishes.

I don't feel too bad, just tired and lightheaded when I stand up. So just taking it easy, but am feeling cheesed off as can't even make a decent cuppa as the milk has gone off. I was going to get more this afternoon as I was supposed to be meeting a friend for coffee, but will have to send OH out for some when he gets back. I will also have to rethink my shopping booked for the weekend.

Pam

• Like 6

Glad you don't feel too bad.  Luckily that seems to be the norm at present.  My oldest, in both senses of the word,   friend has just had it, and was much the same.

I always have some Marvel in the house; it keeps for a very long time, and is a reasonable substitute for fresh milk when needed.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Back home and picking up reins, but the cold I thought I had is also Covid positive. Grrrrr.!

That's what I thought I had to start with!  Sorry to hear you have it too and hope your symptoms are mild.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Back home and picking up reins, but the cold I thought I had is also Covid positive. Grrrrr.!

Sorry to hear your news.

Hopefully your symptoms remain mild.

I hope you had a nice cruise before your symptoms appeared.

Graham.

Had a phone call today from water company after I raise complaint about the recent work to fix a leak blocking access to our shared drive and failure to give advance notice of work.

The manager responsible for the work made a grovelling apology he said the instructions given were

1. Ensure all neighbours nearby are given advance notice by door knocking before work starts, only 1 person was told.

2. Given the narrowness of road width of hole should be no more than 1m wide, it just under 2m

3. The backfilling of hole would have been the same day 3 years ago, but now 2 different sub contractors are one to fill hole the other to tarmac, so a what should be a 1 day job has become 3 days. He said they get a large number of complaints about this and he and others are seeking to return to the old method where a fix for a small leak is completed in 1 day.

4. He also said that they had complaints from other services that use the road to reach nearby care home and that the effects on the care home had not been factored in to work.

He assured me that my complaints were valid and will be fed up to Planning Team for future work such as this, he did however state that the pipe is a galvanised pipe and these are the worst for fracturing and there is a likelihood that the whole of the pipe work will need to be replaced at some point,he estimates the pipe is probably over 60 years old and according to their records this is 5th time in 10 years it has cracked in different locations.

Begs the question as to why with that level of leakage they haven’t addressed replacing pipe work by now,

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Begs the question as to why with that level of leakage they haven’t addressed replacing pipe work by now,

Too expensive - how will they pay dividends to their foreign investors if they have to spend money  on preventative maintenance? 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone. Yes - so far mild - sneezing, runny nose and headache, all improving. It was another lovely Saga cruise to the Baltic with great (very hot) weather, superb food and Saga service. 

• Like 15

Morning :classic_smile:

Sorry to read Purplesea and Sharon have caught the dreaded but the good news is,

it seems to be staying mild for you both.

Sorry but you both have to go into isolation, not on the naughty step but the poorly step 😉

My wife went upstairs to get some tablets. I think she's coming down with something.😀

Nope false alarm she's gone back up again .😊

Take care and have a good day everyone .:classic_love:

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

Am I the only one finding the fine dining photos unnecessary at a time when many are facing the prospect of choosing food or heat this winter ? I enjoy a meal out as much as anyone, together with a couple of days in a nice hotel but don't continually post on here.

If I am in the minority and upsetting people I will walk away from this thread. 

8 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Am I the only one finding the fine dining photos unnecessary at a time when many are facing the prospect of choosing food or heat this winter ? I enjoy a meal out as much as anyone, together with a couple of days in a nice hotel but don't continually post on here.

You would be correct if photos were posted on local community forums ie we have the Hornchurch and Rainham forum where people do ask for advice on such serious matters.IMO I don't think anyone on this thread would be offended,cheers,Brian.

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

You may be in a minority, but that minority includes me. You are not alone.

• Like 6

That’s a shame

This thread has been such a boon, during the bad times, and has covered pretty much everything under the sun.  Some topics have been fascinating, some of no interest to me at all, but it’s really ever so easy just to scroll by, without comment.  No harm done.

It feels a bit ironic for folk on a cruise forum to come up with potential  proscribed topics because times are (undoubtedly and disgracefully - but that’s politics and we don’t do politics) tough and going to get tougher for many.  

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

We live in a democracy Bob, and as such we are all allowed personal opinions and the right right to voice them. Whether others agree or not is immaterial. You are not being offensive nor upsetting so keep posting.

Avril

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We live in a democracy Bob, and as such we are all allowed personal opinions and the right right to voice them. Whether others agree or not is immaterial. You are not being offensive nor upsetting so keep posting.

Avril

Thank you.

I will walk away because I do not want to stop people posting their photos which give others enjoyment. I am not being political, it is a humanitarian crisis, but, on reflection such discussions are not for this forum.

Take care everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We spent a few days at the coast avoiding the high  temperature's inland over 

the weekend and very nice it was too.

I didn't post any photo's of my fish & chips or homemade steak pie as we did not 

think they were special enough ,same old etc . 

I too get  thoughts same as Bob especially walking past the pier to be met by a 

man living in a tiny tent , with a sign reading "Please give us a smile cos it could be

worse ,you don't want to live in my shoes ..As they stink !"

Lovely guy to talk to but makes you think ,"Should I be away enjoying myself even ? "

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

didn't post any photo's of my fish & chips or homemade steak pie as we did not 

think they were special enough ,same old etc . 

I think that showing a very special meal, unusual presentation etc is certainly worth posting. 

I don't think anyone is saying that any one subject should be banned, rather that perhaps in today's world a little awareness is in order.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Thank you.

I will walk away because I do not want to stop people posting their photos which give others enjoyment. I am not being political, it is a humanitarian crisis, but, on reflection such discussions are not for this forum.

Take care everyone.

That's a shame Bob.You're not stopping people posting food pics,just voicing an opinion.I was going to say that I sent a test tube of spittle to Ancestry.com for DNA profile.Knowing you were adopted like me and after watching "Long lost families" on the telly gave me the incentive.Will keep you posted if you have a covert scroll of the thread,cheers,Brian.

• Like 4