P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Yesterday was Burn's Night and so thinking out of the Stereotypical Box mine host came up with this.

Yep... it is "Haggis, needs & tatties... but the haggis is an accompaniment, the neeps are mashed with parsnips and carrots and strewn with parsley, the tatties are with butter and chives and it all goes together with spiced red cabbage, bearnaise sauce, red wine sauce and a rib of Aberdeen Angus!

_DSC4712.thumb.jpeg.8baddabd94563c81ae66d0ce3d68e19d.jpeg

Best to say... this isn't an individual portion... it was intended for four people. Purists beware... "If ye dinna like the idea, ye dinna hae tae eat it!"

• Like 12

4 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Yesterday was Burn's Night and so thinking out of the Stereotypical Box mine host came up with this.

Yep... it is "Haggis, needs & tatties... but the haggis is an accompaniment, the neeps are mashed with parsnips and carrots and strewn with parsley, the tatties are with butter and chives and it all goes together with spiced red cabbage, bearnaise sauce, red wine sauce and a rib of Aberdeen Angus!

Best to say... this isn't an individual portion... it was intended for four people. Purists beware... "If ye dinna like the idea, ye dinna hae tae eat it!"

If that was for 4 people, I trust you had a starter and fish coarse before it, and a sweet then cheese coarse after.🤮

Having mine on Saturday

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

If that was for 4 people, I trust you had a starter and fish coarse before it, and a sweet then cheese coarse after.🤮

Having mine on Saturday

T'was for four.

And... we understand... with very ample left-overs for another meal of Bistro style Cote De Boeuf, béarnaise sauce and salad garnish for two!

A single rib is about 800 g... about a pound and three quarters in old money... so almost the equivalent of four 8 oz prime ribeye steaks... or put another way six times the standard quality restaurant protein portion on a plate.

So this did... very amply feed four over dinner, two for salad of left-over meat and... because mine host batch cooked the vegetables and a wee haggis... the more traditional accompaniments also provided a pretty up-market "haggis, neeps and tatties" for two very elderly neighbours in these tough times.

Added bonus... mostly organic, seasonal, British food... high fibre, low salt, low sugar, low fat, low air-miles and low carbon-footprint... just think great, wholesome, pretty ethical grub for half the price per plate... of a glass of something like cognac!

Cost to out host.... a very canny Scot... £3.75 per person for eight super, seasonal meals.

Value? Of the warm companionship around the table, the friendship with neighbours? Just priceless!

Hope that you have a lovely meal tomorrow!  🥃

As a wee aside I gave the toast to the Lassies a few years ago at a charity Burns Supper in a very grand country house in Surrey... I had a delightful lady to my left at the table all evening and after the toast... she said (not a word of a fib) "It's so good to arrange these things for charity but which hospital burns unit are we supporting this evening?"

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

Morning everyone @twotravellersLondon that meal looks lovely and at that price per

head, what's not to like and I hope it tasted as good as it looked .

I've had a wander around other threads and posts and see that some are worried about 

the ships app for ordering meals. I can understand this as some of the older generation

were not born with a mobile phone attached to them .

Some may pick up how this works but for others I hope there's plenty of folk/staff willing

to help them.

I remember my old PC and my floppy discs (sounds like a medical condition ?) and no

sooner had I got used to that then came my CD's .

These days we tend to put things up in the cloud (as shown below ) 🙂

Have a good day :classic_love:

FB_IMG_1674728747391.jpg.a6e4b6be4b3b03e4e6591b165a48276a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I've had a wander around other threads and posts and see that some are worried about 

the ships app for ordering meals. I can understand this as some of the older generation

were not born with a mobile phone attached to them .

Some may pick up how this works but for others I hope there's plenty of folk/staff willing

to help them.

My parents (both late 70s) do not really do tech - my Mum can text and that's about it.  They phone to book cruises etc & ask for a brochure to be sent with excursions.  I can help them with some stuff but wouldn't be on the cruise to help them with apps to book restaurants / order food etc - Mum's mobile is very basic and is not a smart phone.  They're due to cruise with Fred Olsen in May so I hope the staff will be on hand and patient

• Like 11

17 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Your host is obviously much more Edinburgh than Glasgow...😉😂

My supper on Wednesday was much more basic - a pile of Haggis and a pile of Mash. Sadly, I couldn't get any swede on Wednesday morning.

Edited by Britboys
Addition
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Your host is obviously much more Edinburgh than Glasgow...😉😂

You're pretty well spot on! Not Edinburgh...  but East coast rather than West coast... the Aberdeen-Angus is probably the best give-away. However I'm pretty sure that your more traditional version was well-know in certain parts of Ayrshire in Burn's time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

n83qzp9uofu31.png

I sent this to my daughter who thought it was funny too and very apt for her right now.

She is hoping to be admitted into hospital later today to be induced or failing that she is booked in for a section on Monday. Apparently it’s a big baby and they want to deliver baby before due date which is next Tuesday. I am excited!!

I am just about to set off to Kendal on a girls weekend, back Sunday morning and hopefully straight to see new grandchild.

It’s all happening in our house at the moment!!!

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

Michelle

• Like 19

52 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I sent this to my daughter who thought it was funny too and very apt for her right now.

She is hoping to be admitted into hospital later today to be induced or failing that she is booked in for a section on Monday. Apparently it’s a big baby and they want to deliver baby before due date which is next Tuesday. I am excited!!

I am just about to set off to Kendal on a girls weekend, back Sunday morning and hopefully straight to see new grandchild.

It’s all happening in our house at the moment!!!

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

Michelle

Good wishes for an easy birth for your daughter Michelle.

I hope you have a lovely girls weekend in Kendal.

Graham.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

You're pretty well spot on! Not Edinburgh...  but East coast rather than West coast... the Aberdeen-Angus is probably the best give-away. However I'm pretty sure that your more traditional version was well-know in certain parts of Ayrshire in Burn's time.

My late partner was from Glasgow and his father was born in Ayrshire. As a southerner, I always think Edinburgh is the pretty city and Glasgow the real one! 😄

• Haha 2

I understand this feeling old.

It's our 58th wedding anniversary tomorrow, and we've been reminiscing today over lunch. January 28th 1965 ankle deep in snow and freezing cold. A Registry Office wedding was all we could afford, the marriage licence was the princely sum of  7s - 6p. We were very young, I was 17 and Frank was 19, and his mum said we wouldn't last 6 month😏. To be honest we've had some rough moments, but I think it made the marriage stronger. Fast forward 58 years and we're still here, financially secure and just as much in love as ever.

I do regret one thing though.........not finding cruising sooner.😁

Avril

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's our 58th wedding anniversary tomorrow, and we've been reminiscing today over lunch. January 28th 1965 ankle deep in snow and freezing cold. A Registry Office wedding was all we could afford, the marriage licence was the princely sum of  7s - 6p. We were very young, I was 17 and Frank was 19, and his mum said we wouldn't last 6 month😏. To be honest we've had some rough moments, but I think it made the marriage stronger. Fast forward 58 years and we're still here, financially secure and just as much in love as ever.

Avril

That’s lovely Avril. Congratulations. I would love to see a photo of your wedding!! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I look at your photos and wonder why you do not look like Billy Bunter Graham?

Can you please pass on the secret !! 😉

A reasonably good metabolism.

Before my heart attack I used to exercise a lot.

Our lunch today was here.

IMG_20230127_154141.jpg

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Happy 58th wedding anniversary to a lovely couple Avril and Frank.

Screenshot_20221224_131411.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We were very young, I was 17 and Frank was 19, and his mum said we wouldn't last 6 month😏.

Well she got that right you lasted a very lot longer 😍

Congratulations Avril and Frank 🙂🙂🙂

anniversary-animated-image-2.gif.d10ec1e17c034782d535fed78874f74b.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Congratulations to you both. Hope you have a lovely day tomorrow.

Pam 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

That’s lovely Avril. Congratulations. I would love to see a photo of your wedding!! 

I have some pictures, they were taken by a Frank's brother,  we couldn't afford a photographer. The photo sizes then were about 4''x5'' I think, and the quality isn't very good. I'll have a word with my grandson and see if he can do something with them. 🤞

Avril

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A reasonably good metabolism.

Before my heart attack I used to exercise a lot.

Our lunch today was here.

Lucky you Graham🙂

Before my H/F  I used to lifting walking at work could eat what I want .How things change .

I had my annual check up and failed .Blood Sugars and weight were not good .

I had managed from Christmas to get up to 85kg from 80kg😲

I've managed to offload 3kg in 5 days .Trouble is I look at your fish & chips and sulk, cos 

they are off bounds (at the moment😈 )🤣

You keep going mate ,looking well and as for me I don't want fish and chips or do I ..?

Who am I kidding 😂Take care !

Ps where is here ?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1