P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Afternoon all.

My parents got back from their cruise yesterday morning, it didn’t go fantastically well 🥴 Dad was scammed out of a large sum of money in Tenerife, which meant he was stressed for 3/4 of the holiday. They were a group of 5, and 3 of them, including mum have tested positive for covid today. Mum started coughing and feeling rough last night 🥴

Sorry to hear about your father and hope your mother gets well soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I am sorry that they had such bad luck, I hope it hasn't put them of cruising.  It seems that tourists are sometimes considered easy targets by scammers.

I hope that your mum and the other Covid suffers don't get too ill.

I think it’s put them off going abroad on their own. Theyve said they’d feel more confident if me, my sister or brother were with them to take over the organising and responsibility.

They’ve got another cruise booked on Arvia in September but they’re considering cancelling it. I’m hoping they will still go or at least move their booking to a ship where they can do Club dining and not have to worry about booking tables for dinner.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I think it’s put them off going abroad on their own. Theyve said they’d feel more confident if me, my sister or brother were with them to take over the organising and responsibility.

They’ve got another cruise booked on Arvia in September but they’re considering cancelling it. I’m hoping they will still go or at least move their booking to a ship where they can do Club dining and not have to worry about booking tables for dinner.

So sorry to hear of their misfortune. There are some nasty people about. I do hope it doesn’t put them off going again. And all this booking business if quite off-putting for many people, which is a shame. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Afternoon all.

My parents got back from their cruise yesterday morning, it didn’t go fantastically well 🥴 Dad was scammed out of a large sum of money in Tenerife, which meant he was stressed for 3/4 of the holiday. They were a group of 5, and 3 of them, including mum have tested positive for covid today. Mum started coughing and feeling rough last night 🥴

Oh no, how upsetting for your dad. Hope your mum is not too ill and makes a good recovery, and that your dad stays well 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Afternoon all.

So sorry to read your post Sarah. I do hope your mum doesn't suffer too badly with Covid and your poor dad is able to recoup at least some of his money. Poor things. Jane.x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Beckett said:

So sorry to read your post Sarah. I do hope your mum doesn't suffer too badly with Covid and your poor dad is able to recoup at least some of his money. Poor things. Jane.x

My thoughts as well, best wishes to Sarah's family 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Beckett said:

The op site didn't bleed hardly so no blood clot formed to protect the cavity. I've got a follow-up appointment tomorrow as the dentist thought I might get a dry socket - never heard of it. 

Frank had that years ago. His dentist packed it with antiseptic gauze  until the cavity closed. He had to go back a couple of times for him to check it and renew the gauze, but it healed quickly with no problem.

It didn't stop him eating, but I don't thing anything can😉

Avril

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kalos said:

My meal today had no crusts or batter to leave. A nice bit of steam cod cooked in garlic butter.  Would have it again as it was very tasty. 20230129_133946.thumb.jpg.1d750dae9b9e88ac60aea3e445327b84.jpg

Looks  lovely kalos. Food doesn't have to be boring and tasteless to be healthy.

Avril

• Like 1

I was just changing my bedding and had to smile at the dog walkers outside - it looks like they're off on a military operation - flak jackets with doggy water bottles hanging from them, treats in the pockets, pooh bags, coats for the dogs etc.  When I had a dog we put his lead on and off we went (pooh bags in pocket 🙂)

The doggy business is HUGE nowadays, near us there is doggy playschool, doggy daycare even doggy cafes.  I'm very much a lover of all animals and would have a dog at the drop of a hat if we didn't live in an apartment but I have to wonder where it will all end.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Waju said:

I was just changing my bedding and had to smile at the dog walkers outside - it looks like they're off on a military operation - flak jackets with doggy water bottles hanging from them, treats in the pockets, pooh bags, coats for the dogs etc.  When I had a dog we put his lead on and off we went (pooh bags in pocket 🙂)

The doggy business is HUGE nowadays, near us there is doggy playschool, doggy daycare even doggy cafes.  I'm very much a lover of all animals and would have a dog at the drop of a hat if we didn't live in an apartment but I have to wonder where it will all end.

I don't think it will end Waju. Where there are dog lovers there's always someone just behind them ready and willing to take their money!  Jane.x

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank had that years ago. His dentist packed it with antiseptic gauze  until the cavity closed. He had to go back a couple of times for him to check it and renew the gauze, but it healed quickly with no problem.

It didn't stop him eating, but I don't thing anything can😉

Avril

Thanks Avril. It's pretty painful I must admit. My local Boots must think I'm a druggie with the amount of medication I've bought since Friday - albeit an elderly one! Just off to the dentist now. Jane.x

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SarahHben said:

My parents got back from their cruise yesterday morning, it didn’t go fantastically well 🥴 Dad was scammed out of a large sum of money in Tenerife, 

Hi Sarah regarding your dad being scammed if it was cash then I'm truly sorry but if it was

a bank card ,I would be ringing the number on the back of the card and just maybe a chance 

they could help.

For the future I would suggest he gets a money travel card, I got myself a fair FX card, which 

is run by Mastercard . Once on a trip to Ireland we had two misfortunes in one day.

I think I must have been wearing my "please rob me face" that day .

The first one was a garage where we re fuelled the hire car . The guy was really leaning over

the desk trying to see me enter the pin ,so I asked him to step away , to which he claimed

it had not gone through anyway and I had to do it again . Which I did and when I checked my 

cards balance ,I had been charged the exact amount twice for the fuel .

I had even been charged  at a burger joint   140euros for a 40 euro bill.

Anyway I rang the number on the card and they refunded one payment from the garage and 

refunded 100 euros back from the takeaway .

It may give your dad a bit of peace of mind carrying just a small amount of money and a 

small amount on a travel card . That's what we do ,when we are away no one gets near our

bank accounts .

I truly hope your dad gets sorted , take care .

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Warmer here today, if you can call 7C warm.

Sat at home waiting for Parcelforce to collect a parcel, been up since 7 as collection time is 7:00 am to 5:30 pm, last time they came at 7:15, but not today.

I was also expecting garden landscaper this pm to give us a quote on work in garden, as we are looking to replace worn out lawn, install new path and remove some old shrubs, the lawn has more moss & weeds than grass, last summer’s heat finished it off, it’s looking pretty rubbish at moment. However he has just messaged me to say he has developed a cough so has postponed in case it’s you know what and doesn’t want to pass it on.

I think I managed to strain tendons in my knee on Saturday when sorting cables etc out under my desk, was kneeling on floor for a while, felt something when I got up, still sore this morning will see how it goes before I ring GP.

• Like 1

I'm quite easy going and cheerful and understanding of things but am a bit puzzled.

I belong to a busy surgery, and after three virtual appointments and flack from my family I just rang for a face to face appointment as we feel investigations may be going down the wrong path.

The time  was 12.08 and the message said "at lunch, reopen at 2"

Never had two hours when I worked!

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Hi Sarah regarding your dad being scammed if it was cash then I'm truly sorry but if it was

a bank card ,I would be ringing the number on the back of the card and just maybe a chance 

they could help.

For the future I would suggest he gets a money travel card, I got myself a fair FX card, which 

is run by Mastercard . Once on a trip to Ireland we had two misfortunes in one day.

I think I must have been wearing my "please rob me face" that day .

The first one was a garage where we re fuelled the hire car . The guy was really leaning over

the desk trying to see me enter the pin ,so I asked him to step away , to which he claimed

it had not gone through anyway and I had to do it again . Which I did and when I checked my 

cards balance ,I had been charged the exact amount twice for the fuel .

I had even been charged  at a burger joint   140euros for a 40 euro bill.

Anyway I rang the number on the card and they refunded one payment from the garage and 

refunded 100 euros back from the takeaway .

It may give your dad a bit of peace of mind carrying just a small amount of money and a 

small amount on a travel card . That's what we do ,when we are away no one gets near our

bank accounts .

I truly hope your dad gets sorted , take care .

Good advice. 
If someone tells me that a card payment hasn’t gone through, I always ask for the paper receipt showing the failed payment before doing it the second time. 

• Like 8

Another nice day here, 9oC this morning but with a keen breeze, I even washed the car this afternoon so spring must be in the air. Did I happen to mention we are going on a cruise soon, no, well we are, two weeks on Thursday on Ambience hopefully for some sun in the Canaries and Cape Verdi.

I noticed the bloke who invented the wind chill factor died last week, he was 84 but felt like 72.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Waju said:

I've been in the doghouse a few times,that aint so good.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Warmer here today, if you can call 7C warm.

Sat at home waiting for Parcelforce to collect a parcel, been up since 7 as collection time is 7:00 am to 5:30 pm, last time they came at 7:15, but not today.

I was also expecting garden landscaper this pm to give us a quote on work in garden, as we are looking to replace worn out lawn, install new path and remove some old shrubs, the lawn has more moss & weeds than grass, last summer’s heat finished it off, it’s looking pretty rubbish at moment. However he has just messaged me to say he has developed a cough so has postponed in case it’s you know what and doesn’t want to pass it on.

I think I managed to strain tendons in my knee on Saturday when sorting cables etc out under my desk, was kneeling on floor for a while, felt something when I got up, still sore this morning will see how it goes before I ring GP.

Best to ring the GP about 3 weeks before you have an injury! Jane.x

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Best to ring the GP about 3 weeks before you have an injury! Jane.x

We must be really lucky here with GPs.  If we ring the surgery before at 9 am we can usually get a same day appointment.  2 weeks ago I rang at just after 11 am and they were apologetic because they had no appointments left but they gave me one for the next day at 8:30 am.

• Like 3

My youngest sister just sent a "sisters" text to let me and my other sisters know where she has booked a table for our lunch on Friday.  I read it and started to laugh because DH and I go out for lunch every Friday unless It is sisters week and baby sister has booked  the restaurant that DH and I usually go to.  At least I know what to expect on the menu.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2