P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

41 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's not the NHS staff Josy, they are wonderful people. My grandaughter is a nurse at Pinderfield's Hospital in Wakefield and I know how hard they work. The money given to the hospitals is being 'directed to the wrong areas' instead of into the actual departments that are struggling.  Our NHS is now fast becoming an American style business, and as such the staff and patients are the last to benefit.

All obviously my own opinion of course.

Avril

Edited by happy v

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I hate to hear the constant criticism of the NHS.  I have several family members working in the NHS and I know that I would hate to do their work for what they are paid.  I have seen the bruises when my sister has been hit by patients or their companions.  I took her to doctor and hospital  appointments when she had injured her rotator cuff struggling with a patient.  I think that she and her colleagues earn every penny that they get.

Absolutely. But unfortunately, there’s a very obvious campaign going on to denigrate the NHS and damage it. Blacken its name indeed. Much easier to sell off the bits of a broken NHS at rock bottom prices to American companies. And this is exactly what’s happening behind our backs.

• Like 8

On a happier note my Iona cabin allocation has come through. PA inside on deck 11 near the central staircase and the launderette next door but one which I like. I checked the online reviews and it has everything I need, Queen size bed, fridge, tea making etc and a nice looking bathroom. Funny that I still can't download the luggage labels.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 12

Our NHS is very good, however, I am getting more annoyed with our GP's. I've had a cold which caused an infection on my chest, and an annoying night cough. I phoned the surgery first thing, gave my particulars and was told these ailments are dealt with by the local pharmacist and said they would refer me and they would phone. They did and prescribed antibiotics without seeing me. I am 76 and would have thought a doctor would have checked me out.

• Like 5

Hi everyone, hope you are all ok.

I am a Grandma again!! My daughter gave birth  at 16.23 on Monday to Peaches Penelope weighing in at 9 pounds 8 ounces. Been to see her today, she is so beautiful and very chilled. 

I am tired now so going to bed after a drive to and from Yorkshire today

Michelle

• Like 20

4 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I am a Grandma again!! My daughter gave birth  at 16.23 on Monday to Peaches Penelope weighing in at 9 pounds 8 ounces. Been to see her today, she is so beautiful and very chilled. 

Michelle

Congratulations Michelle, she was a big one too.

Congratulations proud Grandma | Positive good morning quotes ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Congatulations Michelle and also to your daughter. 

Avril

• Thanks 1

Many congratulations Peanut.. so exciting for you all.

On another note.  I too have always championed the NHS and still think it is brilliant in emergencies but.. I have now been offered my third virtual appointment through a newly appointed triage system.  I am in so much pain I rang the surgery again and was told that the Doctor said she will ring me Friday and that was that.  They just send prescriptions for heavy painkillers.I am having enough trouble coming to terms with being disabled through no fault of my own, and can do without pain elsewhere.  

Sadly I have had to make an appointment privately to see a GP who will refer  me for scans etc if needed.  Whatever the situation there comes a time when we have to think just of ourselves.

Its very sad what is happening at the moment.  I once worked at Kings College Hospital in London.  It was the creme de la creme then, and may still be so.   I was also Practice Manager for a local GP for a few years. Our practice was an  open one, turn up and be seen.  You had to arrive before 11 am at which time we closed the doors.

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, indiana123 said:

On another note.  I too have always championed the NHS and still think it is brilliant in emergencies but.. I have now been offered my third virtual appointment through a newly appointed triage system.  I am in so much pain I rang the surgery again and was told that the Doctor said she will ring me Friday and that was that.  They just send prescriptions for heavy painkillers.I am having enough trouble coming to terms with being disabled through no fault of my own, and can do without pain elsewhere.  

Sadly I have had to make an appointment privately to see a GP who will refer  me for scans etc if needed.  Whatever the situation there comes a time when we have to think just of ourselves.

Its very sad what is happening at the moment.  I once worked at Kings College Hospital in London.  It was the creme de la creme then, and may still be so.   I was also Practice Manager for a local GP for a few years. Our practice was an  open one, turn up and be seen.  You had to arrive before 11 am at which time we closed the doors.

Thank you indiana123.

Sorry to hear you are not so well. Like you I too because disabled unexpectedly following spinal surgery then was diagnosed with MS. I can usually get an appointment with my GP but have not seen my main Neurologist since Nov 2019

Michelle

• Like 2

7 hours ago, indiana123 said:

There is currently a shortfall of 4200 GPs in England, in 2022 there was a reduction of 662 GPs due to retirement, ill health or change in roles, the indications are is this not going to get any better. The various medical bodies such as BMA, RCGP, The Health Foundation have made practical suggestions to the Government which have been ignored.

GPs are seeing between 15 and 20% more patients than they were in 2015 which means it is more difficult to get an appointment. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

There is currently a shortfall of 4200 GPs in England, in 2022 there was a reduction of 662 GPs due to retirement, ill health or change in roles, the indications are is this not going to get any better. The various medical bodies such as BMA, RCGP, The Health Foundation have made practical suggestions to the Government which have been ignored.

GPs are seeing between 15 and 20% more patients than they were in 2015 which means it is more difficult to get an appointment. 

And to make matters even worse, universities have recently been told they have to cut back the number of medical school training places - meaning even fewer doctors being trained. Absolute madness,

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Congratulations Grandma, how lovely.  💕

Goodness that’s quite a weight, makes my eyes water! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SarahHben said:

Congratulations Grandma, how lovely.  💕

Goodness that’s quite a weight, makes my eyes water! 

Thank you Sarah. It was quite a weight but her son was 10 pounds 3 ounces!!! She is only slim too - size 8 maximum!!!

Michelle

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Many congratulations Michelle. A safely delivered baby is great cause for celebration. What a cute name too - love it. She will bring you great joy and happiness - and worry of course when she's a teenager! No seriously I'm very happy for you all and please pass my congrats to your daughter. Best wishes. Jane.xx

• Like 2

9 hours ago, indiana123 said:

This is awful for you Indiana - and not good enough. As you well know, heavy painkillers can mask an underlying cause for concern and I'm sorry you've had to go down the private route. However I think it's the right thing for the situation you find yourself in. Good luck with your appointment and do keep in touch and let us know how you get on. Very best wishes. Jane.xx

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Congratulations Michelle, is she a peach ?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Congratualations to you and your daughter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Thank you Sarah. It was quite a weight but her son was 10 pounds 3 ounces!!! She is only slim too - size 8 maximum!!!

Michelle

😳 I think if my first child weighed 10lbs 3oz he would have been an only child! 😂

• Haha 7