P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

49 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Best to ring the GP about 3 weeks before you have an injury! Jane.x

Not with our practice, my wife rang our GP in early December, got an appointment next day, When I last visited face to face around June got any appointment for 2 days later.

• Like 1

Had my inter ocular pressure checked today, 6 months after starting the eye drops for glaucoma. They have dropped down nicely to 14 and 15. so I keep taking the drops even though most of them miss my eyes on the first attempt. I just can't get the knack of doing it.

I added glaucoma to my travel insurance although it did not increase the premium. I would not want to be denied a claim so put down everything.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, kalos said:

Hi Sarah regarding your dad being scammed if it was cash then I'm truly sorry but if it was

a bank card ,I would be ringing the number on the back of the card and just maybe a chance 

they could help.

For the future I would suggest he gets a money travel card, I got myself a fair FX card, which 

is run by Mastercard . Once on a trip to Ireland we had two misfortunes in one day.

I think I must have been wearing my "please rob me face" that day .

The first one was a garage where we re fuelled the hire car . The guy was really leaning over

the desk trying to see me enter the pin ,so I asked him to step away , to which he claimed

it had not gone through anyway and I had to do it again . Which I did and when I checked my 

cards balance ,I had been charged the exact amount twice for the fuel .

I had even been charged  at a burger joint   140euros for a 40 euro bill.

Anyway I rang the number on the card and they refunded one payment from the garage and 

refunded 100 euros back from the takeaway .

It may give your dad a bit of peace of mind carrying just a small amount of money and a 

small amount on a travel card . That's what we do ,when we are away no one gets near our

bank accounts .

I truly hope your dad gets sorted , take care .

Thank you Kalos

It was 2 cards, not sure if credit or debit, the guy said the first card hadn’t worked and asked for another 🥴 My dad is usually pretty savvy with that type of thing but does love a gadget so what seemed like a good deal won him over. 
One of the banks initially said no refund but after a few calls have agreed to look into it. The other bank say they may be able to reimburse, so he’s just waiting and hoping to get some money back. 
That’s a good idea about the travel money card. If they do their Med cruise in September I’ll help him get one of those. I’m  off to the Canaries this August so will do the same for us.

We’ve since heard about quite a few people who have been scammed from the same or similar shop in Playa Las Americas. 😳

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you Kalos

It was 2 cards, not sure if credit or debit, the guy said the first card hadn’t worked and asked for another 🥴 My dad is usually pretty savvy with that type of thing but does love a gadget so what seemed like a good deal won him over. 
One of the banks initially said no refund but after a few calls have agreed to look into it. The other bank say they may be able to reimburse, so he’s just waiting and hoping to get some money back. 
That’s a good idea about the travel money card. If they do their Med cruise in September I’ll help him get one of those. I’m  off to the Canaries this August so will do the same for us.

We’ve since heard about quite a few people who have been scammed from the same or similar shop in Playa Las Americas. 😳

Fingers crossed for a refund, being told the card transaction had failed and being asked to try another would never have occurred to me as being anything fraudulent either until now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amongst all the recommendations for Teddy's new diet a brand called AVA was suggested a few times, in particular from a friend at work who has a poodle that used to suffer from regular upset stomachs until she switched to it. We went to the pet shop and found that they did a specific Cockapoo food so it seemed the obvious choice and he fully recovered in a matter of days once we'd gradually switched over to it from the recovery food. In fact, he seems to have more energy than before he became ill. Here he is trying to tell me that he really wants to keep the mucky old tennis ball that he found in the undergrowth in the woods.

We also managed to book the MSC cruise for the departure in July 2024, and somehow the travel agent in Derbyshire came up with an even bigger discount than we expected, making it just under £200 cheaper than our last like-for-like Mediterranean cruise in 2018 but with drinks included.

A good few days overall.

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 9

Oh happy days!!!🙃

Being an insomniac, and a disabled one at that, this morning was to be a bit busy so had to force an early start.  My best sleep is always 6 - 9.

A man came to collect a large leather sofa last night, that we had offered him.  He reckoned he could move it himself  Wrong.   He was due at 8 this morning with some friends but hasn't turned up yet.  Now due in an hour.

I've been ringing and ringing Drs.  After 45 minutes I had to explain all to receptionist only to be told I am now on a triage list.  Already had 2 virtual appointments  .I haven't seen a Dr since I moved here.

Then the gas installers arrived to do some brickwork and fit new gas fire,  Then they called us and said  there is no gas supply in the house.   There is outside but not inside.    They think they can solve it but plans are changed.  At the moment we have two more men checking the flues on the roof and loads of banging and dust as they do some brickwork inside.

Now I am waiting for the lady who does my hair, nails and eyes to arrive, for a pamper.  Also the sofa collectors.

Off to get a coat as they've turned heating off.

i was thinking of going back to bed later, but then I expect the triage nurse would ring me.

I need a cruise!🤣

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 16

Rotten luck, Indiana.  I have had days like that - haven't we all -  and being an insomniac too, and very slightly disabled, I can sympathise.   I needed to talk to the Surgery this morning - had not been near for a year - and although they answered quickly, and were as helpful as possible, I still have to phone again at 8 tomorrow (no doubt waiting at least half an hour) to have the privilege of a Dr. ringing me back later in the day.  And my annual medication review, which should be soon, is not until March, and is simply going in for blood tests and bp check and a phone call a week later from the Pharmacy to tell me the results.  Is it like this now for everyone?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

P&O playing silly *uggers with my boarding time. It said 12 noon and today says to be allocated. If I miss the Peninsular lunch I will be peeved. Still not allocated a cabin despite paying Select and 11 days to go 🤬

I thought the concept of paying select was to pick your cabin? 

• Like 2

Re my post above..... just realised the men  building my garden wall, after the car crashed into it, haven't arrived.  Its a month since they started it, but of course they cant do the cement in the frost, but the last two days have been beautiful here... they haven't arrived or phoned.

I expect they will turn up sometime   grr

• Like 2

Just now, Fionboard said:

You have to select "Choose your own cabin" or it goes to the default of letting P&O choose it. Some people miss this step.

Thanks for that, I have only ever booked select while onboard or when phoning so always picked the cabin there and then from what was available. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you Kalos

Sarah, I’m sorry to hear about your parents’ misfortune - though it’s incredibly common, even here. Thieves are very cunning.

I’m sure you’ve seen this, and similar threads, but just in case not they do contain some useful tips for getting refunds, and warnings to all of us. We could very easily be next.

https://www.tenerife-information-centre.com/scam-in-adeje-comments.html

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Very true around here, sad to say. 

Same here. If you can't phone dead on 8.30 to get a same day appointment, give up .Don't dream of asking for a future apt. Go to the walk in centre and wait in the queue. Hopeless system,but works for them. Keeps those pesky customers out of the practice.

22 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Same here. If you can't phone dead on 8.30 to get a same day appointment, give up .Don't dream of asking for a future apt. Go to the walk in centre and wait in the queue. Hopeless system,but works for them. Keeps those pesky customers out of the practice.

I booked a routine GP appointment on the NHS app this morning. Couldn’t have been easier. I don’t know whether all GPs allow booking appointments by the app but perhaps those  who don’t should think again and provide the service for their patients. I know there are some who cannot or will not use an app and they should also be given fair consideration as well, but maybe allowing booking on the app would free up phone lines at the GP for those who need them.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I booked a routine GP appointment on the NHS app this morning. Couldn’t have been easier. I don’t know whether all GPs allow booking appointments by the app but perhaps those  who don’t should think again and provide the service for their patients. I know there are some who cannot or will not use an app and they should also be given fair consideration as well, but maybe allowing booking on the app would free up phone lines at the GP for those who need them.

Unfortunately that isn't possible with our practice. Phone at 8.30, 25th in the queue. When all the same day apts have gone, try again tomorrow  or go to the walk in centre.

I can't do apps, and the Systmonline they have will not now book appts. for you, as it used to.  Has to be phone.  It will get sorted tomorrow or Thursday, when my daughter will be here to help.  The sad thing is the staff are nice, and the surgery a really good modern building, but obviously they are short of GPs if not Nurses.

Thanks for all your info.

15 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I have to say that booking an appointment at our doctors couldn't be easier, albeit it is through the systemonline service as opposed to the NHS app it works well, repeat prescriptions and my medical records are available. The downside is that it is difficult to get a face to face within a week. I actually liked the telephone appointments because we could get one next day, which worked well for minor ailments.

• Like 2

Triage have phoned and the GP will ring me Friday.. 3rd virtual.   Nothing I could do except complain.  I wanted her advice and a check before going to London for an upright MRI which would be a waste money if, as is possible, the original diagnosis is going down the wrong path.

I forgot someone this morning in earlier posts.  The Chimney Sweep.  He's  been and I have a Certificate to prove it.  Got three gasmen here taking out bricks etc, two builders have turned up for the wall, chimney sweep and hairdresser just left. Its like Casey's Court as my mum would say.  Only people not arrived are two blokes to take the sofa.  They are on their way apparently.

I'm soon going to cancel the rest of the day, watch tv, drink wine and do a jigsaw.  Heaven.🙃🤣

ps.  OH has just been summoned by the builders  to rush out and paint the back of the new shed (the one demolished by the car) because they can now build the rest of the wall and he wont be able to get to the back of the shed once wall is up.

It's hilarious here today

Edited by indiana123
to add a ps
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Unfortunately that isn't possible with our practice. Phone at 8.30, 25th in the queue. When all the same day apts have gone, try again tomorrow  or go to the walk in centre.

We don’t even have a walk in centre. I can’t help thinking back to when my children were babies and I could just turn up, wait in line and someone would see them. Parents now have a huge struggle to see anyone - no wonder people’s mental health is suffering. 
I watch Call the Midwife and honestly, if that is really how it was then, there was a much better service 50 odd years ago. Ok, I know that medical advances have transformed the way people are treated, but the basic face to face service has just about disappeared around here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

Our practice has this service for booking and/or cancelling appointments, but only for non-urgent cases. If you need to see the doctor immediately then we have to phone after 8am that morning. It seems to be normal now for most practices. I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but it wasn't like this pre 2019.

Gone are the days when you could simply turn up and wait to be seen.

Avril

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

We don’t even have a walk in centre. I can’t help thinking back to when my children were babies and I could just turn up, wait in line and someone would see them. Parents now have a huge struggle to see anyone - no wonder people’s mental health is suffering. 
I watch Call the Midwife and honestly, if that is really how it was then, there was a much better service 50 odd years ago. Ok, I know that medical advances have transformed the way people are treated, but the basic face to face service has just about disappeared around here. 

Our doctors back in the 50's/60s was a doctors actual house that was massive .

It had a waiting room and two rooms where you could be seen by a doctor or his partner .

The waiting room just had a bench that ran around the wall and upon entering you would 

ask who was last in and you joined the queue and waited your turn .

A lady, think she was the Doc's sister in law would come out with pen and writing pad and 

ask you what was up just before your turn . Then it was a bells "ding or a buzzer that decided 

if you went in room one or two.

This system worked well for years until one day aged about 12, I refused to tell her what 

was up in a crowded waiting room stating "I don't want  to tell everyone why I am here"."

This this caused problems as the woman sat next to me said I was right and she wasn't 

going to tell her either !   As you can see I was trouble back then .🤣

The old doctors house is now a nursing home and our doc's is a new build a few mile away 

down the road but looking back the doctors were good back then as they are now  .

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Our practice has this service for booking and/or cancelling appointments, but only for non-urgent cases. If you need to see the doctor immediately then we have to phone after 8am that morning. It seems to be normal now for most practices. I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but it wasn't like this pre 2019.

Gone are the days when you could simply turn up and wait to be seen.

Avril

The system used at our practice is the same system as pre Covid, a number of slots are available each day for emergencies, these are available from 8:30 onwards, if all gone receptionist will put you on cancellations list for the day or you maybe offered a call back either from GP or Nurse Practitioner. Non urgent appointments can be booked up to 10 days ahead, on phone, online or in person, this appointment can be made with the relevant medical professional. Besides the 6 GPs our practice has a Nurse Practitioner,  a Physiotherapist, a Pharmacists and Practice Nurses. My annual medication review is with a Pharmacist using via phone instigated by the practice, if felt I need adjustments , then he or she will make an appointment with GP for me.

I know not all practices work this way, but ai have been with practice for 39 years and never felt the need to move, the team of GPS are relatively young and open to new ways of meeting patients needs, the senior GP is the son of one of the 2 doctors who started the practice, his father only retired in 2019 at the age of 75, but returned to help out during Covid at considerable personal risk. 

• Like 3