P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just now, wowzz said:

I think she is absolutely correct. 

Strange that the government is burying the report stating that local lockdowns will lead eventually to more deaths that would have been caused by CV19.  I'll try and find the link.

Such reports are a bit like football match reviews, biased by the views of the writer. We will only ever know the outcome once it's old news, by which time it will be too late to have an impact. But it's always been like that, I am just surprised that wise old wowzz does not know it yet.😗

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Such reports are a bit like football match reviews, biased by the views of the writer. We will only ever know the outcome once it's old news, by which time it will be too late to have an impact. But it's always been like that, I am just surprised that wise old wowzz does not know it yet.😗

True - it's the same as when I had to write 5 year business plans. I was always safe in the knowledge that no one ever looked at the plan once the 5 years had elapsed.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I think she is absolutely correct. 

Strange that the government is burying the report stating that local lockdowns will lead eventually to more deaths that would have been caused by CV19.  I'll try and find the link.

I don't know Wowzz I have lost the will to live , maybe she's right .

She did say people her age should have been more protected ,take that to mean she wanted locking up .

Then she goes on to say she's not being locked up by anyone they can sod off .

But she's not bothered or paying for it anyway as she's going to be dead .

I think she was only out shopping for King Arthur anyway .:classic_unsure::classic_biggrin: Nice Barnsley lass !

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Quite a cool day in Harrogate where we have come for a trip out today.

First picture is the famous Betty's

The other 2 photos are either side of the main town street 

IMG_20201022_130246.jpg

IMG_20201022_132220.jpg

IMG_20201022_132237.jpg

It looks very quiet Graham

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Say no more :classic_unsure:

Woman in T3    Best send Avril round to sort her out :classic_wink:

No thanks kalos, she looks a bit too feisty to me, anyway Boris says I can't go out unless it's absolutely necessary. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it😁

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
oops
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Harrogate looks lovely.  I’ve never been there - perhaps one day? So many of the northern towns have beautiful civic and commercial buildings.  

I’ve heard of Betty’s of course.  When I first looked at the pic I thought it was Bewley’s in Dublin but felt it odd that Graham & Pauline might be there!

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think it might have been in Barnsley, so Avril may know her.

Yes, it was in Barnsley town centre, and no, thank goodness I don't know her. Please don't think that her views are representative of the majority here because they definitely aren't. I think her opinion may contain a touch of red😉

Avril

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Yes, it was in Barnsley town centre, and no, thank goodness I don't know her. Please don't think that her views are representative of the majority here because they definitely aren't. I think her opinion may contain a touch of red😉

Avril

No I don't, I even thought that the council leader and Dan Jarvis spoke very sensibly when interviewed by Harry Gration on look North last night. I do hope that most people follow the guidance and S Yorkshire shows the rest of the country how to safely and quickly exit tier 3.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

No I don't, I even thought that the council leader and Dan Jarvis spoke very sensibly when interviewed by Harry Gration on look North last night. I do hope that most people follow the guidance and S Yorkshire shows the rest of the country how to safely and quickly exit tier 3.

Dan Jarvis is a brilliant man. He has a lot of common sense and puts poeple before party. He will work with  Boris, not against him, as he's proven by volunteering to put the whole of South Yorkshire into tier 3 when he could have selected a few areas. Now it's up to us.😷

Avril

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Harrogate looks lovely.  I’ve never been there - perhaps one day? So many of the northern towns have beautiful civic and commercial buildings.  

I’ve heard of Betty’s of course.  When I first looked at the pic I thought it was Bewley’s in Dublin but felt it odd that Graham & Pauline might be there!

Harrogate is beautiful. There is lots to see and do, they also have an amazing music festival every year (except this one!) with world class musicians and conductors. We have been there many times to enjoy it.

Lovely shops and places to eat too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

I noticed that as well. It shouldn’t affect me very much either as, apart from walking the dog, I haven’t been going to many places. I just hope everybody actually respects the seriousness of the situation and does all required of them. They can impose as many restrictions as they like but if people ignore them (people of all ages), we will be stuck on this situation for much longer. It amazes me that so many supposedly intelligent people can think it is acceptable to behave so stupidly. 

It won't make any difference to us at all as we have been living in  lockdown regs to be honest apart from working in schools and havng to go to work with those regulations.

I suppose as we do not have our elderly parents 'with us' now we are in a positon that we do not now have to worry about them. (I hope this comes across well and hope you know what I mean) . I feel so much for those having to work who have vulnerable family members and elderly family members ... nightmare. Can not imagine how we would have coped with elderly parents with terminal illnesses or in care homes / dementia care amidst all of this. My heart just goes out to anyone in this situation

Anyway, for is we are on half term break for a week so we can stay in our 'ark' for now and relatively safe. 

Stay safe everyone and take care

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

It looks very quiet Graham

Avril

It was very quiet which was great for social distancing.

Betty's was busy with queues around the building.

We had our lunch in Fat Badgers Bar in the White Hart Hotel.

We went into the indoor shopping centre and Pauline went into TK Max.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

We have been to Dublin twice for New Year and shopped on Grafton Street but had a lovely day in Harrogate today.

West Yorkshire might be next for Tier3 so we thought we would go today to Harrogate just in case.

16 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Harrogate is beautiful. There is lots to see and do, they also have an amazing music festival every year (except this one!) with world class musicians and conductors. We have been there many times to enjoy it.

Lovely shops and places to eat too.

+1.

I also have been to Harrogate many times on business and Pauline and I have stayed overnight many times too as well as Day visits like today.

Edited by grapau27

Graham Bettys looks nice , I had never heard of them before when I booked a cruise and the free gift from the travel agent was a Bettys tea pot and cup and saucer , instead of my normal case of wine  ☹️  it was very big so I gave it away as a present but hopefully one day we will get to visit the shop 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Graham Bettys looks nice , I had never heard of them before when I booked a cruise and the free gift from the travel agent was a Bettys tea pot and cup and saucer , instead of my normal case of wine  ☹️  it was very big so I gave it away as a present but hopefully one day we will get to visit the shop 

It is lovely.

It is much better to pre-book an afternoon tea or champagne afternoon tea like we did for upstairs.

It costs more but it is a much better experience and you don't stand in a queue outside and sit downstairs.

Graham.

Good news today Wowzz, the Canary Islands have been taken off the quarantine list so your trip to lanzarote should be fine if you want to risk the airport and flight , I’m due to go to Fuerteventura on Tuesday to visit family but my mother in-law is not so well at the moment and we really don’t know what to do , I have two daughters that could fill in for me while we are gone but it’s a lot to ask of them , so we’re in a bit of a pickle at the moment to when we cancel our flights and car parking.😔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

+1.

I also have been to Harrogate many times on business and Pauline and I have stayed overnight many times too as well as Day visits like today.

We only ever stay over as it’s a long journey from here. We have stayed in various different hotels over the years.

Enjoyed the Betty's there and in York. I like the fat rascals and the curd tarts. Good cup of tea as well.

Edited by Eglesbrech
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I saw this and thought about you all here on this forum. It sums up what everyone is doing for everyone else in these difficult times.

How-amazing-you-are-768x768.thumb.png.4e4e4c6038f085c300e0cfd42392a425.png

That's lovely Josy.   How have you  been feeling?

Avril

8 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

That's lovely Josy.   How have you  been feeling?

Avril

Hi Avril thank you for asking.  I think that I am one of the lucky ones.  We are not seeing much of any of our family or friends but I am in daily contact with my sisters and nieces and I speak to David's sisters weekly. The biggest worry we have is my niece having to go through cancer treatment right now but that would have happened regardless of the pandemic.

We are obviously missing our holidays, we usually do 3 cruises each year and have 2 or 3 short breaks in the UK but we have not been away since we got back from Oceana cruise at the beginning of March.

I think that life will get back to normal and we hopefully we will all realise how blessed we are.  One of my cousins died suddenly 3 weeks ago and another of my cousins came back to Stoke on Tuesday to lead the funeral service because he is a priest in London, he was telling me how hard life is at the moment for his parishioners and made me realise how we are living in our own little bubble and not looking out at the hardship of lonely and poorer people.

I hope that you and you family are all well and keeping as well as we are.  I look forward to reading your posts because you seem to be one of the positive and friendly people.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Hi Avril thank you for asking.  I think that I am one of the lucky ones.  We are not seeing much of any of our family or friends but I am in daily contact with my sisters and nieces and I speak to David's sisters weekly. The biggest worry we have is my niece having to go through cancer treatment right now but that would have happened regardless of the pandemic.

We are obviously missing our holidays, we usually do 3 cruises each year and have 2 or 3 short breaks in the UK but we have not been away since we got back from Oceana cruise at the beginning of March.

I think that life will get back to normal and we hopefully we will all realise how blessed we are.  One of my cousins died suddenly 3 weeks ago and another of my cousins came back to Stoke on Tuesday to lead the funeral service because he is a priest in London, he was telling me how hard life is at the moment for his parishioners and made me realise how we are living in our own little bubble and not looking out at the hardship of lonely and poorer people.

I hope that you and you family are all well and keeping as well as we are.  I look forward to reading your posts because you seem to be one of the positive and friendly people.

Josy - the fact you retain positivity and your helpfulness to others in the face of everything that is happening should be a cause of inspiration and support to others as well as to you and those around you. Thanks

• Like 5