P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Hi Avril thank you for asking.  I think that I am one of the lucky ones.  We are not seeing much of any of our family or friends but I am in daily contact with my sisters and nieces and I speak to David's sisters weekly. The biggest worry we have is my niece having to go through cancer treatment right now but that would have happened regardless of the pandemic.

We are obviously missing our holidays, we usually do 3 cruises each year and have 2 or 3 short breaks in the UK but we have not been away since we got back from Oceana cruise at the beginning of March.

I think that life will get back to normal and we hopefully we will all realise how blessed we are.  One of my cousins died suddenly 3 weeks ago and another of my cousins came back to Stoke on Tuesday to lead the funeral service because he is a priest in London, he was telling me how hard life is at the moment for his parishioners and made me realise how we are living in our own little bubble and not looking out at the hardship of lonely and poorer people.

I hope that you and you family are all well and keeping as well as we are.  I look forward to reading your posts because you seem to be one of the positive and friendly people.

I'm glad you and your family are well, and that you have no effects from your vaccination hopefully. I think of you and your niece often as I have recently been in that same situation and understand how difficult it can be, and how you must be feeling. My condolences on the loss of your cousin.

My main conerns at the moment are for my sister 80 and BIL 85 who live in Stockport, and my cousin 91 who lives in Twickenham. I keep in regular contact with them and they are coping well and doing okay, so thats reassuring.

We too are missing our holidays and haven't been away since November. We should have been going on our cruise two weeks today but, hey ho, it is what it is. We are now busily planning for our next one. The Fjords in June , a new place for us so we're both looking forward to it.

There will be an end to all this soon Josy, and until then all we can do is think positive, move on with our lives, help others and above all stay safe😷 and keep smiling😊

Avril

• Like 3

You will love the Fjords.  We have been there several times, the scenery is stunning,it is one of our favourite places, there are several slightly different itineraries and the tours are lovely.  We are hopefully doing "Around Britain" on Princess again next year with my sister and b-i-l ( their first cruise ).

• Like 1

Graham, it’s funny you went to Harrogate yesterday. One of my friends is up there for a couple of nights, and guess where she was yesterday? Having afternoon tea in Betty’s that they’d pre booked 😊.

I’m just about to have a quick sandwich before I walk upstairs to my “office” For my 1-6pm shift. Don’t really like that shift 😞

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

You will love the Fjords.  We have been there several times, the scenery is stunning,it is one of our favourite places, there are several slightly different itineraries and the tours are lovely.  We are hopefully doing "Around Britain" on Princess again next year with my sister and b-i-l ( their first cruise ).

We only normally cruise October/November time when it's quieter and warm, and so avoided Norway because of the  cold weather. This year though because of our cancelled November cruise we saw it as an opportunity to try Norway and still have our usual cruise later on. We have 12 nights  with 7 ports of call and will be going as far north as Tromso and the Lofoten Islands. We're determined to see as much as we possibly can. I'm so excited, I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve😁

Avril

• Like 1

I like to read each day on here as I always find something to lift my spirit with the 

things you do like the vaccine trials or just a few words of comfort or support 

to each other and long may it last .

Sometimes we have to turn away from the gutter press that only want to give 

out a headline to sell their papers and wonder if we will ever see something good.

Reading our local papers online I am happy to read how warmth & kindness does 

extend beyond the pages of C-Critic  into real life out in the streets where we live .

Within a few miles of where we live ,we have a couple of sandwich shops who like

the rest of us will have found things tough over the last few months.

Through social media and a flyer through the letterbox, I find they are trying to feed 

kids from struggling families . 

Here's what they have to say :- :classic_smile:   

"We would like to help anybody struggling to feed their children in the school holidays.

"If you or anybody you may know is struggling to feed your children please please do not hesitate to contact us.

"You can contact  with no questions asked. Don't worry you do not have to buy anything ,we are only trying to support you.

"Don’t feel embarrassed we are here to help, it will go no further and we don’t need to know your details. Let’s just keep those little people smiling.":classic_love:

They want to give each kid a lunch bag with a sandwich,crisp and drink each day of the holiday !

This led me to Google other areas only to find they are doing the same .

Not a charity,not a sales pitch ,just a load of kind caring people looking out for others .:classic_smile:

That to me makes happy reading in these tough times .:classic_wink:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 12

40 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Graham, it’s funny you went to Harrogate yesterday. One of my friends is up there for a couple of nights, and guess where she was yesterday? Having afternoon tea in Betty’s that they’d pre booked 😊.

I’m just about to have a quick sandwich before I walk upstairs to my “office” For my 1-6pm shift. Don’t really like that shift 😞

We are in the York Designer Outlet today

16034538405374855119051328831253.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kalos said:

I like to read each day on here as I always find something to lift my spirit with the 

out a headline to sell their papers and wonder if we will ever see something good.

extend beyond the pages of C-Critic  into real life out in the streets where we live .

Within a few miles of where we live ,we have a couple of sandwich shops who like

Through social media and a flyer through the letterbox, I find they are trying to feed 

"We would like to help anybody struggling to feed their children in the school holidays.

"If you or anybody you may know is struggling to feed your children please please do not hesitate to contact us.

"You can contact  with no questions asked. Don't worry you do not have to buy anything ,we are only trying to support you.

"Don’t feel embarrassed we are here to help, it will go no further and we don’t need to know your details. Let’s just keep those little people smiling.":classic_love:

They want to give each kid a lunch bag with a sandwich,crisp and drink each day of the holiday !

Not a charity,not a sales pitch ,just a load of kind caring people looking out for others .:classic_smile:

That proves one thing to me kalos, that regardless of what the negative press keep saying, and the photos they keep printing, there are a lot of caring people in this country all pulling together to help in anyway they can.  Good deeds aren't newsworthy enough for the main papers and news broadcasts though.

Misery sells unfortunately

Avril

• Like 8

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We are in the York Designer Outlet today

16034538405374855119051328831253.jpg

Graham I love your enthusiasm of going out visiting somewhere different every day and I hope Pauline picks up another lovely dress to wear , all the photos I’ve seen she is the best dressed lady on any ship 👗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Our local farm shop announced last night that they will be providing sandwiches for those who receive free school meals, the local ASDA contacted them and said they would supply crisps & biscuits to go with them. The shop this morning has been on local radio stations, they even had a message of support from Marcus Rashford’s. I know of 3 other cafes in the area doing similar things. The local council have also said they will continue to supply during holidays FSM until after Easter next year, asking for volunteers to support distribution and donations were welcome. The local Tory MP has been getting a kicking online and elsewhere, lots of questions being asked why she voted as she did as there is a lot of support locally for what Marcus Rashford is doing. 

Looking at my Twitter timeline this morning made me realise that there are a lot of lovely people out there who are not going to let children go hungry even politicians are. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Our local farm shop announced last night that they will be providing sandwiches for those who receive free school meals, the local ASDA contacted them and said they would supply crisps & biscuits to go with them. The shop this morning has been on local radio stations, they even had a message of support from Marcus Rashford’s. I know of 3 other cafes in the area doing similar things. The local council have also said they will continue to supply during holidays FSM until after Easter next year, asking for volunteers to support distribution and donations were welcome. The local Tory MP has been getting a kicking online and elsewhere, lots of questions being asked why she voted as she did as there is a lot of support locally for what Marcus Rashford is doing. 

Looking at my Twitter timeline this morning made me realise that there are a lot of lovely people out there who are not going to let children go hungry even politicians are. 

Our local council have just voted to fund and help the local businesses who are supporting  these kids.

No kid in our area will go hungry during the school breaks  said our council .:classic_smile:

• Like 2

Marcus Rashford’s Twitter account is going crazy with large and small caterers joining the movement.  Good on ‘em but what an indictment.

I don’t know who is making the decisions in No 10 but they appear to be way away from public opinion on this one 

How is trying to avoid children going hungry a bad thing?  
Scrooge lives!  

This sounds a bit ranty - hope I don’t end up in CC jail 🙄

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

Graham I love your enthusiasm of going out visiting somewhere different every day and I hope Pauline picks up another lovely dress to wear , all the photos I’ve seen she is the best dressed lady on any ship 👗

Thank you.

Pauline buys a lot of dresses in the US when we go to Orlando Florida and some in Roman Originals over here.

She has bought several items yesterday and today.

Graham.😃😇

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Our local council have just voted to fund and help the local businesses who are supporting  these kids.

No kid in our area will go hungry during the school breaks  said our council .:classic_smile:

Can someone please tell me what century I'm living in, because I'm sure when I went to bed last night it was the 21st😲

Avril

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Can someone please tell me what century I'm living in, because I'm sure when I went to bed last night it was the 21st😲

Avril

I'm glad I'm not the only one all out with days!

The other day I was thinking that the dustmen were late.  I then realised it was Wednesday not Thursday, which is our collection day! 

3 hours ago, eddie11 said:

Marcus Rashford’s Twitter account is going crazy with large and small caterers joining the movement.  Good on ‘em but what an indictment.

I don’t know who is making the decisions in No 10 but they appear to be way away from public opinion on this one 

Scrooge lives!  

Marcus Rashford is doing an amazing job rallying people 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, eddie11 said:

Scrooge lives!  

Kutis in Southampton, that a lot of you will know, have joined in with the free meal idea. 

Ironically, the owner is great friends with Rishi's parents... 

Andy 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Marcus Rashford is doing an amazing job rallying people 

He certainly is, he has said that he knows what it is like to be hungry as a child.  My neighbour helps at a food bank and says that while 99% of the people going to them do desperately need help she wonders about the ones who come in smoking and wearing expensive trainers etc. but who are we to judge we don't walk in their shoes.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Absolutely correct. How can those MPs voting to let needy children go hungry, eat at night? Shame on them.

I think it will be quite easy for MP’s to eat at night. All they have to do is go to one of the taxpayer subsidised dining rooms in parliament and order whatever they fancy from the menu, washed down with a nice glass of subsidised wine or beer (provided it is before 10 o’clock perhaps). I am ashamed to say that all 3 of our Stoke on Trent MPs voted against the provision of food vouchers for children during the school holidays despite the fact that like elsewhere, we have areas of heavy deprivation. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Absolutely correct. How can those MPs voting to let needy children go hungry, eat at night? Shame on them.

Well you can't blame me, our Tory MP was one of the ones who broke ranks and voted for the motion.  Whilst I do agree that people should be encouraged to look after themselves, these are not normal times and covering the next 3 school holidays would only have been a tiny drop in the ocean of debt that's building up.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

Pauline buys a lot of dresses in the US when we go to Orlando Florida and some in Roman Originals over here.

She has bought several items yesterday and today.

Graham.😃😇

We drove pass the Designer Centre yesterday our way home from York, could have popped in to meet you Graham.

Eric.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, purplesea said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one all out with days!

The other day I was thinking that the dustmen were late.  I then realised it was Wednesday not Thursday, which is our collection day! 

You have every chance you could be out with your hours tonight ,that's if you forget to put your clocks 

back (before or at Sun 2am) :classic_unsure:

I used to have great fun watching some work colleague's arriving Monday morning at work well over a good

hour before their start time ,when the clocks had gone back a hour.

They had managed to spend all day Sunday without realising the clocks had changed :classic_wacko:

download.jpg.7e9f86974687e9dff681a7114068248b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1