P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

14 minutes ago, DamianG said:

After 15 years of mostly going to the in-laws (and occasionally to see my parents) on Sundays I've now been getting plenty of practice making Sunday dinners.

Just when I was thinking I'd got the hang of Yorkshire puddings:

IMG_1181.JPG

Yesterday they went out of control:

IMG_1188.JPG

Still tasty though!

They look good to me Damian. A successful Yorkshire pud is one that is well risen with a  crispy edge. Spot on👍 😋

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

They look good to me Damian. A successful Yorkshire pud is one that is well risen with a  crispy edge. Spot on👍 😋

Avril

Wot! no gravy 😱

I like Yorkshire pudding, have not had any this year  but might treat myself at  xmas, even with turkey or whatever. Did anyone watch countryfile last night? The turkey producer was worried about restrictions on the size of households because a lot of his turkeys were too big for a 6 person dinner never mind a 1 person dinner, I should be on a cruise at xmas 😠

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Wot! no gravy 😱

I like Yorkshire pudding, have not had any this year  but might treat myself at  xmas, even with turkey or whatever. Did anyone watch countryfile last night? The turkey producer was worried about restrictions on the size of households because a lot of his turkeys were too big for a 6 person dinner never mind a 1 person dinner, I should be on a cruise at xmas 😠

Hi Dave

Lashings of gravy was applied after I took the photo, I couldn't have tackled Sunday dinner without it!

I know what you mean about turkey, we're used to having most of the family round for Christmas dinner so there's usually at least 9 of us. The smaller (cheaper) supermarket turkeys look unappealing so we've decided to go for a better quality turkey crown and if there's tonnes of leftovers so be it. My dad is in hospital and unlikely to be out for Christmas so there's a good chance mum could be on her own for the first time ever and then there's the in-laws to think about as well. It's all so uncertain at this stage.

It's sad that you and many others will be missing your Christmas cruise. We had the opportunity to try it just once back in 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

All the best.

Damian

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I saw that.  Wonder if the Danes will be eating mink for Christmas?  😞  I had no idea that country kept 1 million mink in cages just for the fur trade.  It's awful.

I was shocked when I saw that too Jean. Totally disgusting. Maybe naive of me I know, but I thought that was outlawed now!!

Avril

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I know what you mean about turkey, we're used to having most of the family round for Christmas dinner so there's usually at least 9 of us. The smaller (cheaper) supermarket turkeys look unappealing so we've decided to go for a better quality turkey crown and if there's tonnes of leftovers so be it. My dad is in hospital and unlikely to be out for Christmas so there's a good chance mum could be on her own for the first time ever 

I'm sorry to hear your Dad is in hospital, and not likely to be home for Christmas. Under those circumstances Damian, there is no way I would leave my Mum alone at Christmas. We are supposed to be out of lockdown by December 3rd so it should be alright for her to visit for Christmas. You can bring her into your 'bubble' because she's on her own. 

I always have a turkey crown for Christmas, more turkey, less waste. I preorder mine each year from Asda and any leftovers are frozen and used for stir-frys etc

Avril

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I was shocked when I saw that too Jean. Totally disgusting. Maybe naive of me I know, but I thought that was outlawed now!!

Avril

It's dreadful.  Everyone having a go at the Chinese for their exotic animal markets which are absolutely dreadful, and now this in Denmark.  We don't deserve this world.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I think Queens Grill Cunarders are exempt.M&S had loads of turkeys left over last year,they were more or less giving them away after Christmas.Cheers,bro.

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It's dreadful.  Everyone having a go at the Chinese for their exotic animal markets which are absolutely dreadful, and now this in Denmark.  We don't deserve this world.

Mink farms are still operating in Italy, Netherlands, Spain and Sweden in Europe as well as Denmark, and all have apparently reported having cases of Covid.

Edited by terrierjohn

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Mink farms are still operating in Italy, Netherlands, Spain and Sweden in Europe as well as Denmark, and all have apparently reported having cases of Covid.

didn't know that.  It's awful.  So do we think the mink caught Covid from the human?

9 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I think Queens Grill Cunarders are exempt.M&S had loads of turkeys left over last year,they were more or less giving them away after Christmas.Cheers,bro.

I'm not surprised they had plenty leftover at the prices they were asking. If I wanted to be fleeced I'd have a bought lamb🐑😉

Any news about getting home?

Sis

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

didn't know that.  It's awful.  So do we think the mink caught Covid from the human?

Jean. Although banned in the UK, there are 5,000 mink farms in the EU. They want us to maintain there standards of animal welfare. Mink and veal exempted,🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Hi Dave

Lashings of gravy was applied after I took the photo, I couldn't have tackled Sunday dinner without it!

I know what you mean about turkey, we're used to having most of the family round for Christmas dinner so there's usually at least 9 of us. The smaller (cheaper) supermarket turkeys look unappealing so we've decided to go for a better quality turkey crown and if there's tonnes of leftovers so be it. My dad is in hospital and unlikely to be out for Christmas so there's a good chance mum could be on her own for the first time ever and then there's the in-laws to think about as well. It's all so uncertain at this stage.

It's sad that you and many others will be missing your Christmas cruise. We had the opportunity to try it just once back in 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

All the best.

Damian

Sorry to hear your dad is in hospital Damian and hope he is out of hospital for Xmas.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm not surprised they had plenty leftover at the prices they were asking. If I wanted to be fleeced I'd have a bought lamb🐑😉

Any news about getting home?

Sis

Hi sis,I've been posting on an expats forum.A lot are just getting on the motorway all the way to Switzerland without stopping.That's a bit too far for us without a stopover and it's illegal.France has a provision on their attestation form for this scenario.Dec 4th is the deadline anyway.Cheers,bro.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Jean. Although banned in the UK, there are 5,000 mink farms in the EU. They want us to maintain there standards of animal welfare. Mink and veal exempted,🤔

I've done my bit.I've cut up my mink posing pouch.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, zap99 said:

A lot of countries followed our ban but the mink farms will remain whilst ever people

want to wear these furs on their backs , hence the farms.

I would compare it to Rhino horn industry .We don't eat Rino nor do we eat Mink,

they are just ugly industries that are built on someone's indulgence .

Sad really :classic_mellow:

https://www.peta.org.uk/blog/these-countries-have-banned-fur-farming-which-one-will-be-next/?utm_source=PETA UK::Google&utm_medium=Ad&utm_campaign=1020::gen::PETA UK::Google::s-grant-dsa::::searchad&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1f-_m7f17AIVAeiGCh30fwwfEAAYASAAEgJDOPD_BwE

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I saw that.  Wonder if the Danes will be eating mink for Christmas?  😞  I had no idea that country kept 1 million mink in cages just for the fur trade.  It's awful.

Apparently 17 million Mink in Denmark. Yes they believe the Mink caught it from humans then it mutated into a potentially more dangerous version and the infection passed back to humans. Originally 12 human cases identified but a day later it was reported as 200 😨

37 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just out of curiosity, what's so special about mink?  We're already being told it can be passed on by cats and dogs - what about poultry, pigs, cattle etc?

Could be boom time for vegetarians if we all have to avoid eating meat of any kind!

Is that what you really think ,????. Is breeding animals so you can kill them just so that ugly people can wear their fur acceptable in your EU world?.

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

But on the bright side:

The first effective coronavirus vaccine can prevent more than 90% of people from getting Covid-19, a preliminary analysis shows.

The developers - Pfizer and BioNTech - described it as a "great day for science and humanity".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

The logistics of distribution of this one will interesting as it has to be kept at -80C.

Will we need to visit a cold storage depot to get the vaccine given. 🥶

Will the Government be seeking to requisition freezers?  (the PM already has one 😬)

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Is that what you really think ,????. Is breeding animals so you can kill them just so that ugly people can wear their fur acceptable in your EU world?.

I’m afraid you’re missing the point entirely. I’m not suggesting anything’s acceptable or unacceptable - simply that if it can pass to and from mink, why not other animals?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The logistics of distribution of this one will interesting as it has to be kept at -80C.

Will we need to visit a cold storage depot to get the vaccine given. 🥶

Will the Government be seeking to requisition freezers?  (the PM already has one 😬)

I do hope they warm it up to room temperature before they give you an injection, otherwise we will all end up with frozen arms.

• Like 1