P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

43 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Happy Anniversary Avril hope you can enjoy it, you share your anniversary with my good ladies Birthday.

That only proves that some very good things happened on this day John. A Very Happy Birthday to Pauline.

Avril

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Ooops, I think both Graham and John are going to be in hot water. Keep your head's down fellas.😁

Avril

You could be right Avril and if Grahams wife is the same ...

Who is the woman he keeps posting pictures of ??? :classic_ohmy:

Very nice lady whoever she is :classic_wink::classic_unsure::classic_smile:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Ooops, I think both Graham and John are going to be in hot water. Keep your head's down fellas.😁

Avril

Pauline says I'm always on my phone posting on cc but she never bothers with cc herself.

She does know I sometimes post pictures

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

And a very happy anniversary to Avril and Frank.

Here's a little poem to celebrate their January anniversary in the longest month ever in the history of the world (shamelessly stolen from elsewhere):

Thirty days has September,

April, June and November,

Unless a leap year is its fate,

February has twenty eight,

But all the rest have three days more,

Excepting January 2021,

Which has eleventy thousand and sixty four.

From Brian Bilston Poet, a friend some close friends of ours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well I’m thoroughly fed up. We have been told up here that we are unlikely to be allowed to travel abroad for leisure purposes throughout 2021, the whole year!

Hopefully it will not turn out to be the case but they were fairly adamant about it, don’t book anything. Well jolly good but what happens when you are already booked from before all this started. 

The prospect of two years stuck at home is not a happy one. 

I didn’t expect the world to go immediately back to complete normality but I was naive enough to think that with the rollout of the vaccine later this year might be a bit nearer to it. 😕

Well, if that happens, that's The Ole Lady's 60 birthday plans out the window.

Not until May, but the tentative plan was to too pop up to see family who can't travel down to us a week or so beforehand, but celebrate the big day at home.  Possibly no-one going anywhere then ☹️.

Maybe see what PandO says and if there is a restart, take the high cost of 2021 bookings on the chin and celebrate on a cruise.

On a serious note, if Scotland does go down this route, I feel very sorry for everyone affected by that decision.  It must be very dis-heartening to have the possibility of such a ban hanging over everyone so early.  I hope that a way can be found to enable people to travel abroad for leisure for at least half the year.

• Like 2

Just now, brian1 said:

Happy anniversary sis,I didn't know.How did people find out.bro.

Thanks bro. A while ago posters were saying their birthdays were in January and I said it was our anniversary. I think Purplesea(Pam) must have written them down as she is the first to post on them. Clever lady.

Sis

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Well, if that happens, that's The Ole Lady's 60 birthday plans out the window.

Not until May, but the tentative plan was to too pop up to see family who can't travel down to us a week or so beforehand, but celebrate the big day at home.  Possibly no-one going anywhere then ☹️.

Maybe see what PandO says and if there is a restart, take the high cost of 2021 bookings on the chin and celebrate on a cruise.

On a serious note, if Scotland does go down this route, I feel very sorry for everyone affected by that decision.  It must be very dis-heartening to have the possibility of such a ban hanging over everyone so early.  I hope that a way can be found to enable people to travel abroad for leisure for at least half the year.

They were fairly unequivocal about foreign travel not happening but even hummed and hawed a bit about the prospect of staycations in the very immediate future.

I would image some in country travel will be allowed so hopefully by May there should be some loosening up in time for your plans 🤞

The whole situation is just depressing. I just hope we get a decent summer as it has been a very long, very cold winter and there is little hope of flying to the sun, at least not up here anyway. Health before holidays I suppose.

• Like 2

This is what the BBC report on foreign travel restrictions.

You must only travel abroad for essential reasons

these are:-

Work that cannot be done from home
Medical appointments
Educational reasons

You have to make a declaration of your reason for travelling

Increased police presence etc to monitor it

so that's foreign hols cancelled for the foreseeable future

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

They were fairly unequivocal about foreign travel not happening but even hummed and hawed a bit about the prospect of staycations in the very immediate future.

I would image some in country travel will be allowed so hopefully by May there should be some loosening up in time for your plans 🤞

The whole situation is just depressing. I just hope we get a decent summer as it has been a very long, very cold winter and there is little hope of flying to the sun, at least not up here anyway. Health before holidays I suppose.

Difficult times.  Hopefully everyone will be able to get well deserved holidays this year 🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

This is what the BBC report on foreign travel restrictions.

You must only travel abroad for essential reasons

these are:-

Work that cannot be done from home
Medical appointments
Educational reasons

You have to make a declaration of your reason for travelling

Increased police presence etc to monitor it

so that's foreign hols cancelled for the foreseeable future

I have already written off this year for foreign travel - my 2 remaining cruises have been moved to 2022.

The trouble with foreign travel is that it drives the spread of new variants of the virus, so to my mind it seems sensible to discourage overseas travel, except for essential reasons. 

Last year I had booked a coach trip to the Edinburgh Tattoo, which has been moved to this year. I hope it goes ahead as it coincides with our 40th wedding anniversary. It would also be nice if we can get away for a couple of other short breaks.

But it not, then we stay at home 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

Happy Anniversary to you Avril and Frank. 

Where did you go on honeymoon? My aunt got married the same week and went to London - they witnessed Churchill’s state funeral. She’s never forgotten it. 

Churchill’s funeral is my one of my first memories of an event in the news 

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I have already written off this year for foreign travel - my 2 remaining cruises have been moved to 2022.

The trouble with foreign travel is that it drives the spread of new variants of the virus, so to my mind it seems sensible to discourage overseas travel, except for essential reasons. 

Last year I had booked a coach trip to the Edinburgh Tattoo, which has been moved to this year. I hope it goes ahead as it coincides with our 40th wedding anniversary. It would also be nice if we can get away for a couple of other short breaks.

But it not, then we stay at home 🤷‍♀️

I agree about the transmission issues and it would have made complete sense last year to stop all travel while we had no vaccine. It’s just a shame that when we thought there would be some light at the end of the tunnel, there is not. 

It also begs the question when will things ever get back to some normality as there will always be new variants.

I wonder how many holiday companies will make it through another year with no customers and which ones will be lost along the way. A couple of the airlines are already saying they may not make it.

We need to be pragmatic and just get on with whatever happens.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Thank you Pam, Jane and Eddie. These years are flying by, 56 years ago today it was snowing and cold. When I think back Frank and I were so sure we had a future together and his mum said we were too young to know our own minds (17 & 19) and it would only last  six months.😉

Avril

Happy Anniversary to you both 

Michelle

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Happy Anniversary to you Avril and Frank. 

Where did you go on honeymoon? My aunt got married the same week and went to London - they witnessed Churchill’s state funeral. She’s never forgotten it. 

We didn't have that luxury I'm afraid. It was a choice between setting up home or a honeymoon and the practical side won out. Since the childen have been supporting themselves though, it's been one long honeymoon interspersed with long haul holidays and cruises.

Avril

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Churchill’s funeral is my one of my first memories of an event in the news 

Me too. I remember my Mum sobbing as (and if my memory is correct) the coffin sailed down the Thames to the funeral. I was about 5. 

• Like 3