P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Regarding the census. I was on the phone with my mother earlier and she mentioned that she’d already done theirs online. But it was interesting that she thought that many of her friends who don’t have internet access would just put it to one side and forget about it! I think you have to phone if you want a paper copy. We’re both interested in this because we were enumerators in 1991 and it was even difficult then to get some folks to fill the paper form. I think we had to return to a few households about 4/5 times and I remember ‘helping’ a few people to fill the form. Of course it helped that we already knew most of them. I can tell you that I drank more cups of tea in those few weeks than I ever did before or after - and I don’t like tea!

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Regarding the census. I was on the phone with my mother earlier and she mentioned that she’d already done theirs online. But it was interesting that she thought that many of her friends who don’t have internet access would just put it to one side and forget about it! I think you have to phone if you want a paper copy. We’re both interested in this because we were enumerators in 1991 and it was even difficult then to get some folks to fill the paper form. I think we had to return to a few households about 4/5 times and I remember ‘helping’ a few people to fill the form. Of course it helped that we already knew most of them. I can tell you that I drank more cups of tea in those few weeks than I ever did before or after - and I don’t like tea!

You do need to phone for a paper copy, this is what it states if you don't complete it.

Legal basis for the census; You must complete the census by law. You could be prosecuted if you don't fill in your census. You will get a criminal record and you could be fined up to £1,000. Providing false information in the Census is also a criminal offence that could result in prosecution, a criminal record and a fine of up to £1,000.

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

You do need to phone for a paper copy, this is what it states if you don't complete it.

Legal basis for the census; You must complete the census by law. You could be prosecuted if you don't fill in your census. You will get a criminal record and you could be fined up to £1,000. Providing false information in the Census is also a criminal offence that could result in prosecution, a criminal record and a fine of up to £1,000.

Yes. I don’t think my Mother thought that some of her friends would deliberately forget, just that some are forgetful! I mean, my Father as he is now would simply put the envelope in a drawer and forget about it. We were just thinking that it’s another hoop that people without internet access need to jump through and it’s not as if family and friends can visit and help out. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, davecttr said:

Sort of on topic. I just realised there is a census soon which you complete online using your access code which is in the letter they sent you. Except I have not received a letter. Has everyone else received theirs?

We did ours last week, they seem to have more questions than I remember ...

eg ..Are you  male/female or something else .. Do you prefer to be classed as English/

British/European etc How many cars /Cats & Dogs have you got? :classic_wacko: I'ts easy enough 

to do though.

Ours has only just arrived.  It appears very much the same as previous.  I’ve been involved with the previous two (dining room full of boxes of forms) as manager of an enumeration team.  It’s nice to relax and just complete the form

As has been said the relevant date is 21 March, so no rush.  The majority of us won’t expect our circumstances to change so it’s ok to do it earlier.  You’re meant to inform if any changes happen but I guess it’s a bit of a stretch to think of contacting the census if somebody is unexpectedly hospitalised etc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Yes. I don’t think my Mother thought that some of her friends would deliberately forget, just that some are forgetful! I mean, my Father as he is now would simply put the envelope in a drawer and forget about it. We were just thinking that it’s another hoop that people without internet access need to jump through and it’s not as if family and friends can visit and help out. 

You are absolutely right. I have an elderly mother who is housebound. She has no access to the internet and I am not allowed to visit. Hopefully her carer will find it when it arrives and send it on to me. It would be very interesting to know what percentage of the people in this country do not have access to, or cannot use the internet. There seems to be an assumption by some in positions of authority, that such a proportion of the population do not exist (or do not matter).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

We did ours last week, they seem to have more questions than I remember ...

eg ..Are you  male/female or something else .. Do you prefer to be classed as English/

British/European etc How many cars /Cats & Dogs have you got? :classic_wacko: I'ts easy enough 

to do though.

I thought it was more intrusive than the last one. If it's voluntary to answer the more personal questions, eg: sexual orientation, which sex do you identify with, then why ask them in the first place? I don't object to answering questions that are necessary for a census, but honestly......🤨

Avril

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I thought it was more intrusive than the last one. If it's voluntary to answer the more personal questions, eg: sexual orientation, which sex do you identify with, then why ask them in the first place? I don't object to answering questions that are necessary for a census, but honestly......🤨

Avril

Tenor sAx of course sis.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Jedi?

• Like 1

We got the letter a few days ago, and I tried to do it online but it would not allow it - I presumed that was because you are supposed to say where you are on 21st, and none of us know right now where we might be?  (Most likely at home, but it could be hospital or somewhere else).  So thought I would go back on 22nd to fill it in.  Surely you are not supposed to be able to do it until then?  Or maybe, as usual,  I was making a mess of doing it.

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't mind what type of sAx it is bro, as long as it's done well.😇😄

Sis

Here a bit of Sax you may like .:classic_unsure:

Paddy was at Dublin airport on his way home and was stopped by customs.

Customs: What have you got in those two sacks on your shoulders.?

Paddy: Oh just a lot of mobile phones.

Customs: So why so many mobile phones.?

Paddy: Well on my travels I had a call from my mate Mick,

He told me that he was starting up a Jazz Band, and could

I bring him back two Saxophones. :classic_wink::classic_smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7°C mild but wet this morning.

I have several sales calls today so hope the rain stays away.

Best wishes to Eglesbrech and Jean and hope they are feeling better as every day passes.

I hope everyone has a nice day and Jane has nice people at her vaccination centre today.

Graham.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lincslady said:

We got the letter a few days ago, and I tried to do it online but it would not allow it - I presumed that was because you are supposed to say where you are on 21st, and none of us know right now where we might be?  (Most likely at home, but it could be hospital or somewhere else).  So thought I would go back on 22nd to fill it in.  Surely you are not supposed to be able to do it until then?  Or maybe, as usual,  I was making a mess of doing it.

I filled ours in last week online. Don't wait until 22nd as it has to be in 21st. Double check to make sure you've put your number in correctly.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You can complete the census anytime you like. I suspect the web site would implode if everyone tried to complete it in the 21st.

Complete it early, and if your circumstances change on the 21st (perhaps you suddenly become a Rastafarian) you go back on line and alter your information.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I filled ours in online and last week online. Don't wait until 22nd as it has to be in 21st. Double check to make sure you've put your number in correctly.

Avril

Pauline did our census on line a few days ago.

15 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I suspect when you say it would not allow you , is because you are not declaring  you 

and your hubby will be at home on the 21st . The question is based on the best of your

knowledge . For example  If I ask you are you staying in your house tonight , you would 

tell me yes as you know you have no other plans tonight . So you would tick yes unless 

you are certain that you would not be there tonight . God forbid that your house got hit

with a meteorite and you ended up in Hospital and the house burned down ..You could 

not have known that . So getting back to the census ,if you have no reason to think you

would not be at home on the 21st then you can tick yes like most of us will have done .

• Like 1