Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

With the current discussion on mystery books, I wanted to mention the show that we've been binge watching called Only Murders in the Building.  It's about True Crime aficionados (Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selena Gomez) trying to solve a murder in an upper west side NYC apartment building.  Although it got good reviews and several Emmy nominations/wins, I didn't have great expectations.  Martin Short can be a little too over the top for me, and Steve Martin can sometimes head in that direction also.  But we are really enjoying it.  Not at all what I expected.  They get some interesting guest stars...Nathan Lane, Tina Fey, Jane Lynch, Shirley MacLaine, Amy Schumer, and even Sting.  Worth watching if you have Hulu.

Good to know.  It’s on our list but sort of a “last resort” entry.  

20 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Not quite but close, the original recipe version was the longest lasting but the only symptoms was the cough and the loss of taste and smell. v.2, v.3 and v.4 have had more sinus issues but symptoms have been very shorted lived. I honestly am not sure which of the last three were the least severe.  They have been indistinguishable in my memory.  Today is day 3 of symptoms and I woke up feeling 90%. After my morning intake of medicine I feel 100% and plan on working outside alone all day. The most noticeable difference this time is that in all previous versions there was a fatigue until symptoms cleared up.  There has been no fatigue this time.  

Thanks for this. My first time was rough, and my second time is just like your fourth time. Fingers crossed it is my last but I’m doubtful for some reason. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

With the current discussion on mystery books, I wanted to mention the show that we've been binge watching called Only Murders in the Building.  It's about True Crime aficionados (Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selena Gomez) trying to solve a murder in an upper west side NYC apartment building.  Although it got good reviews and several Emmy nominations/wins, I didn't have great expectations.  Martin Short can be a little too over the top for me, and Steve Martin can sometimes head in that direction also.  But we are really enjoying it.  Not at all what I expected.  They get some interesting guest stars...Nathan Lane, Tina Fey, Jane Lynch, Shirley MacLaine, Amy Schumer, and even Sting.  Worth watching if you have Hulu.

We both enjoy this show new season will have Paul Rudd and Meryl Streep as guest stars . Like watching most shows set in New York City. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@reallyitsmema I like the commercials too. Wondering if Budweiser will have a commercial with the Clydesdales this year?

I had forgotten about Gronk kicking a field goal-I agree, should be interesting. 

MJ🙋🏻

I always look forward to the Clydesdales. I once had the chance to see them up close and personal. It was an amazing experience. 

IMG_1336.thumb.JPG.74d8a058880bbdcfe42158be1414d169.JPG

IMG_1346.thumb.JPG.9b30cd18f6d8e4b179f19fa54548d281.JPG

IMG_1383.thumb.JPG.9eb65a4d57c967f16538da5d71ed34aa.JPG

• Like 17

37 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks for this. My first time was rough, and my second time is just like your fourth time. Fingers crossed it is my last but I’m doubtful for some reason. 

I came home with it from my Odyssey cruise. It has knocked me on my a$$. I made it through 3 yrs of pandemic, working with sick people, and 2 cruises since re-opening. The third cruise did me in. 😏

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Warning:  This is a l - o - n - g post.  A few pictures to come another time.  All meals were MDR early seating or Windjammer.

Back yesterday from our Adventure OTS 5 night cruise.  The good, bad, (no ugly) will now be discussed.

Bad:  The new menu.  Not to our liking but of course food is subjective.  Our waiter refused to deviate from the printed menu which meant no regular lettuce, tomato, cuke salad because only Ceasar salad was listed.  One night we asked to finish our meal no later than 6:45. When 6:45 came and went with no dessert served we got up to leave.  Waiter was super upset to the point of being angry, defending why he was so busy.  We kept telling him it was ok that we weren't hungry for dessert anyway and that we really had to leave even though he expected us to stay and be late for our show.  The next day we told him no rush since we could stay as long as needed BUT he rushed so fast we were done eating in 30 minutes.  Twice our portions were so small our table mates said it looked like we all ordered from the kids menu.

I love salmon but it was served with a spicey crust on top that according to the waiter had to be served as is.  I so missed the classic offerings on the old menu.

Best dishes, for me anyway was prime rib, lamb shank, pasta with seafood, key lime pie.

Now, about the prime rib.  It was first served to me (ordered medium rare) well done and sort of grey.  Not pink in the middle, but solid grey maybe 1/8th of an inch thick.  I tried it anyway and it was tough and dry.  I sent it back and got a wonderful thicker piece of meat that was cooked to perfection.

The wonderful part about dining in the MDR was our fabulous dinner table mates, a mother and adult daughter.  We had the best time exchanging life's experiences and enjoyed each meal because of their company.

WJ was super crowded all times it was open.  Food there was just ok for me.  No waiters cleared our tables of used plates, no waiter came around asking if we wanted coffee, water, etc.  Jack and I usually made big salads (shades of Seinfeld) which was more than enough for us.

The cruise had 500 kids which I find hard to believe since I thought the figure should have been higher.  Kids were everywhere and pools were crowded with rugrats wearing floating stuff.  Cute kids but they ran all over the pool deck many falling in the process.  Jack and I were sitting on the pool deck looking out at the sea when I gasped seeing a small boy maybe 4, 5 sitting on the rail in front of an OPEN WINDOW.  He was NOT being held by anyone.  I jumped up and was about to go over when luckily a crew member asked his family members to please get him down and never have him sitting up on the rail every again.

Venues were crowded and we couldn't get a seat in the pub or Schooner bar even earlier than peak hours.  Any time the ice cream machine was open, the line on the pool deck was super long.  Thankfully, because of all the kids we were able to get two lounges in the Solarium.

Crew was fabulous, friendly, always a smile.  Our cabin attendant always fulfilled our requests and always remembered our names.  Extra tip went to him for sure.

We just meandered around the port shops in Cozumel and didn't venture on that long walk to Costa Maya for fear of not getting seats on the tram when we would be ready to return to the ship.  The quiet was delightful and we enjoyed ourselves before the ship filled up again.

I will save the worst for another post.  Debarkation was a total nightmare compared to an easy embarkation.  

Time to get out and refill my fridge and pantry.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I came home with it from my Odyssey cruise. It has knocked me on my a$$. I made it through 3 yrs of pandemic, working with sick people, and 2 cruises since re-opening. The third cruise did me in. 😏

Sorry to hear, hope you make a rapid recovery 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

That's too bad, feel better soon!

Thanks. Today is the first day that I'm actually feeling pretty well and the symptoms didn't really bloom until last Wednesday. So it was only 4 days of constant cough, sore throat, and fatigue. I truly can't remember the last time I was sick. My immune system takes good care of me and is taking care of business now. 

• Like 25

This week has been a big fundraising week for the Special Olympics.  They have been having Polar Plunges all over the country to raise money.  The Penguin Plunge is scheduled for noontime today at Hampton Beach with a costume parade of the participants at 11:30.  They are gathered at the Ashworth Hotel and will be parading to the water.  Hampton Beach can have some interesting sites on a regular beach day, so the costumes could be fun.  Last I saw, they had over 700 registered to take the plunge.  Here is a link if anyone is interested in the craziness.

https://hamptonbeach.org/beach-cam/

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is not good to hear.   I hope you kick it soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Warning:  This is a l - o - n - g post.  A few pictures to come another time.  All meals were MDR early seating or Windjammer.

Back yesterday from our Adventure OTS 5 night cruise.  The good, bad, (no ugly) will now be discussed.

Bad:  The new menu.  Not to our liking but of course food is subjective.  Our waiter refused to deviate from the printed menu which meant no regular lettuce, tomato, cuke salad because only Ceasar salad was listed.  One night we asked to finish our meal no later than 6:45. When 6:45 came and went with no dessert served we got up to leave.  Waiter was super upset to the point of being angry, defending why he was so busy.  We kept telling him it was ok that we weren't hungry for dessert anyway and that we really had to leave even though he expected us to stay and be late for our show.  The next day we told him no rush since we could stay as long as needed BUT he rushed so fast we were done eating in 30 minutes.  Twice our portions were so small our table mates said it looked like we all ordered from the kids menu.

I love salmon but it was served with a spicey crust on top that according to the waiter had to be served as is.  I so missed the classic offerings on the old menu.

Best dishes, for me anyway was prime rib, lamb shank, pasta with seafood, key lime pie.

Now, about the prime rib.  It was first served to me (ordered medium rare) well done and sort of grey.  Not pink in the middle, but solid grey maybe 1/8th of an inch thick.  I tried it anyway and it was tough and dry.  I sent it back and got a wonderful thicker piece of meat that was cooked to perfection.

The wonderful part about dining in the MDR was our fabulous dinner table mates, a mother and adult daughter.  We had the best time exchanging life's experiences and enjoyed each meal because of their company.

WJ was super crowded all times it was open.  Food there was just ok for me.  No waiters cleared our tables of used plates, no waiter came around asking if we wanted coffee, water, etc.  Jack and I usually made big salads (shades of Seinfeld) which was more than enough for us.

The cruise had 500 kids which I find hard to believe since I thought the figure should have been higher.  Kids were everywhere and pools were crowded with rugrats wearing floating stuff.  Cute kids but they ran all over the pool deck many falling in the process.  Jack and I were sitting on the pool deck looking out at the sea when I gasped seeing a small boy maybe 4, 5 sitting on the rail in front of an OPEN WINDOW.  He was NOT being held by anyone.  I jumped up and was about to go over when luckily a crew member asked his family members to please get him down and never have him sitting up on the rail every again.

Venues were crowded and we couldn't get a seat in the pub or Schooner bar even earlier than peak hours.  Any time the ice cream machine was open, the line on the pool deck was super long.  Thankfully, because of all the kids we were able to get two lounges in the Solarium.

Crew was fabulous, friendly, always a smile.  Our cabin attendant always fulfilled our requests and always remembered our names.  Extra tip went to him for sure.

We just meandered around the port shops in Cozumel and didn't venture on that long walk to Costa Maya for fear of not getting seats on the tram when we would be ready to return to the ship.  The quiet was delightful and we enjoyed ourselves before the ship filled up again.

I will save the worst for another post.  Debarkation was a total nightmare compared to an easy embarkation.  

They certainly seem to be selling out all the ships, even with the higher prices. Just looked at our Symphony cruuse in May and there's hardly any cabins left, prices are more than double what we paid 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Bad:  The new menu.

This is what has me worried when we will finally return to cruising.  I hope that enough people mention it on their post cruise survey, that they make some changes.  I don’t think I have read any comments from people saying they were thrilled with it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I have so many good memories of cruise on Adventure but I think I'm glad that I was on Odyssey. There were no food, Windjammer, or crowding issues at all. And both embarkation and debarkation were a breeze. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

All three were on last night's Saturday Night Live.

Learned on there last Night Steve Martin has been the host of that show 17 times, had no idea he had done it that many times. Wonder if anyone else has ever hosted that show longer then that?

It was Martin Short's 4th time as the Host.

19 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Bad:  The new menu. 

This is my concern also for our 14 night cruise in September, we can purchase the UDP for $297 each, but really that's a lot of money and not sure we could eat all that food but if the MDR is really bad which usually we don't go that often there anyway, just how was the Windjammer, usually end of there most nights because we can go just when we get hungry and not be so much on a schedule like the MDR is.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Peaceful days --

I'm happy to "report" that, as part of our golden wedding celebrations, each of us got to chose a "city break"....

So my DH will be fulfilling a dream of actually living in Venice and going to the [Rialto] market every day to buy fresh products and cook them in our rented apt 😉.

We're flying out early Monday morning via Athens, since our original direct flight was moved to late afternoon, and the proprietor wasn't ready to check us in at 9PM....

What did I chose, you ask? I've chosen Marrakesh, also fulfilling a dream.... No cooking involved this time....

Both trips sound heavenly!!!!  I'm so happy that you and your DH will be getting away, and to wonderful locations, no less!!!!

16 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

4 full days.

The original plan was 3 days, but we couldn't find another direct flight instead of the one which was delayed... and the apt we rented wasn't available for the additional night, so we booked a night in a hotel, planning to move the next day.

But we need some luck with all that goes around here, and yesterday afternoon the proprietor sent us a text, saying that he had a cancellation and we can get the additional night 😁

Since we always book with free cancellation, I immediately cancelled the one night hotel.  No more moving with our carry ons from one place to another 😎 I couldn't be happier.

Great news for the two of you!

15 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh, just to soak up the atmosphere of being in an Arab country,

This time we booked a room for 3 days in a traditional guesting house, and I'll get to take my French "out of storage"....😉

Great decision, Dani!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, now I am getting concerned about Alexa.   Never had this happen before. 

Last week, we had bought some Valentines cards at a Hallmark store.  So when Susan was reviewing some charges online, she saw a charge from Little Green Apple and wondered what it was.  It turns out that it was how the charge from the Hallmark store was posted.

So fast forward to today.  I get an email saying that Little Green Apple would like us to complete a survey.  So as I mention this to Susan, she asks what Little Green Apple was, and I told her it was the Hallmark store.  As soon as I said Hallmark, Alexa starts talking about where we can find the nearest Hallmark stores.  

No one said Alexa, or otherwise asked her to join in, but there she was, offering information.  With all the changes in AI these days, it appears she is now giving me her opinion without asking for it.  Well, no thanks to that, I already have one of those in my house. 😉

• Haha 20

58 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I always look forward to the Clydesdales. I once had the chance to see them up close and personal. It was an amazing experience. 

IMG_1336.thumb.JPG.74d8a058880bbdcfe42158be1414d169.JPG

IMG_1346.thumb.JPG.9b30cd18f6d8e4b179f19fa54548d281.JPG

IMG_1383.thumb.JPG.9eb65a4d57c967f16538da5d71ed34aa.JPG

They’re such beautiful animals.  

31 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks. Today is the first day that I'm actually feeling pretty well and the symptoms didn't really bloom until last Wednesday. So it was only 4 days of constant cough, sore throat, and fatigue. I truly can't remember the last time I was sick. My immune system takes good care of me and is taking care of business now. 

Glad you’re on the mend.  

• Like 3